Hide
16 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Vassal module for GMT's East Front series? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Noneofyourbeeswax
msg tools
Does anyone know whether there's a vassal module in the works for GMT's East Front series? I ask because I have a non-intel mac so I can only use the vassal engine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meng Tan
Australia
Bridgeman Downs
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both EastFront I and Eurofront II are already released VASSAL modules.
http://vassalengine.org/community/index.php?option=com_vassa...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think he's referring to the Columbia games series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meng Tan
Australia
Bridgeman Downs
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooops, badly misread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to http://www.gmtgames.com/t-GMTVASSAL.aspx there is nothing currently available. Not sure if anyone is planning such a beast for Vassal, but there are Cyberboard modules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Noneofyourbeeswax
msg tools
martimer wrote:
According to http://www.gmtgames.com/t-GMTVASSAL.aspx there is nothing currently available. Not sure if anyone is planning such a beast for Vassal, but there are Cyberboard modules.

Oh well. Thanks a bunch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Franklin
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff,

You can import the ADC module into VASSAL. A friend of mine did.

P.S. Six of us are playing the Campaign game (AGN, AGC, AGN) using CyberBoard and it is progressing well. We almost got Game Turn One performed in a week.

pbrane wrote:
Does anyone know whether there's a vassal module in the works for GMT's East Front series? I ask because I have a non-intel mac so I can only use the vassal engine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Noneofyourbeeswax
msg tools
Hi Darksan,

Darksan wrote:
You can import the ADC module into VASSAL.

This doesn`t work properly on my mac. It sometimes draws the map, and sometimes doesn`t. When it does, it takes about half an hour, irrespective of the size of the scenario. I also can`t resize the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J

Mt Crawford
Virginia
msg tools
pbrane wrote:
Hi Darksan,

Darksan wrote:
You can import the ADC module into VASSAL.

This doesn`t work properly on my mac. It sometimes draws the map, and sometimes doesn`t. When it does, it takes about half an hour, irrespective of the size of the scenario. I also can`t resize the map.

Have you posted a tech support request for this on the vassalengine.org tech support forum, with a note saying you are having trouble with an importer bug? I think the main importer dude actually uses a Mac (but maybe have a couple of them confused) but at any rate I am sure someone there could help you work through this if you can be patient (after all we are talking about playing GMT EFS right).

The ADC importer and the module editor are probably a bit behind in development at this point but if you help them by letting them know what is wrong I am sure they will reciprocate and help you get it running - it just might take a little time and effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Noneofyourbeeswax
msg tools
IrishBouzouki wrote:

Have you posted a tech support request for this on the vassalengine.org tech support forum, with a note saying you are having trouble with an importer bug? ...if you help them by letting them know what is wrong I am sure they will reciprocate and help you get it running - it just might take a little time and effort.

Will do. Thanks a ton.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meng Tan
Australia
Bridgeman Downs
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
When it does, it takes about half an hour (1), irrespective of the size of the scenario. I also can`t resize the map.(2)

I wonder if this may NOT be a a bug, but related to (1) the size of the graphics file for the map (relative to the specifications of your computer) and (2) that you would need to add zoom capability to the map (takes 1 minute if you know what you're doing in the module editor).

As far as I can tell, the VASSAL ADC module importer does a very basic import of the graphics, if you want extra features (like resizing) you need to add those yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just alerted to this thread. This is the response I gave to p-brane on the VASSAL list. You can also see the thread here: http://www.vassalengine.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1733&high...

This was my response:

Quote:
I downloaded, A World at War, imported the "Global Historical Campaign Setup.OPS" into VASSAL, ran it, and it appears to work flawlessly. It's a big module, but the map appeared in under 5 seconds which is actually pretty good given its size. The zoom feature works well and there's minimal delay.

That being said, 512 MB for the maximum heap was not enough and it immediately complained about that. I raised it to 1024 MB and it was fine. The alternative to this, you can turn on "Prefer memory-mapped images for large files", which I also tried. On start up, the initial draw to approximately 30 seconds -- quite a bit slower. But once it was displayed, there were no problems. I also tried zooming out in this mode and the performance was still pretty good.

There's does not appear to be anything wrong with the importer. You may be experiencing some memory issues given the size of the map. Java keeps it's own private memory storage mechanism which you have to set manually in the preferences.

However, 30 minutes seems like a serious problem. It may be that you've set the maximum heap space too high and your computer is swapping out to the hard drive. If you're seeing a lot of hard-drive activity, decrease the maximum heap space and turn on "Prefer memory-mapped images for large files" instead -- it would be much more efficient. It actually appears to work quite well with that setting.

I haven't tried the other modules, but this one appears to be fine. I also haven't tried other OPS files in A World at War but the one I chose sounded big. Let me know if there's a specific OPS file that's causing you problems in particular.

Just to make sure, are you running the latest version of VASSAL (3.1)? Are there any other details you could share with us that might help us to sort out the problem? What kind of memory do you have on the computer? What is the operating system?

I tried A World at War because he had mentioned it in his post to the VASSAL list and I found it first but, as the note mentioned, I hadn't tried the other ones. I'm not entirely sure what's going on, but I suspect memory issues. I haven't heard from many Mac users, so there's always the possibility that this is a serious bug (however, I've certainly heard from Mac users that haven't experienced any problems). P-brane, you have to get back to me and let me know how it's going with that.

Quote:
I think the main importer dude actually uses a Mac (but maybe have a couple of them confused) but at any rate I am sure someone there could help you work through this if you can be patient (after all we are talking about playing GMT EFS right).

Nope. I use Linux.

Quote:

I wonder if this may NOT be a a bug, but related to (1) the size of the graphics file for the map (relative to the specifications of your computer) and (2) that you would need to add zoom capability to the map (takes 1 minute if you know what you're doing in the module editor).

That's already handled for you.

Quote:

As far as I can tell, the VASSAL ADC module importer does a very basic import of the graphics, if you want extra features (like resizing) you need to add those yourself.

I'm not sure what you mean by basic. What you should get after an import is a fully functional game with most of the options available in ADC2 (e.g., The resizing features are already there in the imported module, so you don't have to add that).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob James
msg tools
I'm having trouble myself, but with GMT's ADC module for Samurai

When I load the game the map sort of displays, but there is no terrain. It displays a file called Base_Layer.png but nothing else (although the counters are there)

I'm not sure if this is related to the importer though. GMT supplies the modules as .exe's which I presume are self-extracting. But I have a mac so what I did was use unzip on the command line to extract the files and then loaded the OPS file in VASSAL

Is that the right way to do it? Or am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried it in both VASSAL and ADC2 and they look the same. There's not much terrain on the map. It should just look plain beige (sorry, I'm colour blind).

If there were a file missing, VASSAL would complain.

Here's a screenshot of what it should look like:

and this is what it looks like in ADC2:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob James
msg tools
Hmm, ok - but where's the river?

Anyway - I tried it with one of the other scenarios and it seems to work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rjmq wrote:
Hmm, ok - but where's the river?

To the upper left I think.

rjmq wrote:
Anyway - I tried it with one of the other scenarios and it seems to work

If there's a problem with a specific scenario, feel free to post over at CSW here: http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?13@297.yJfeeIb4WPN.53@.ee6f...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.