João 'Finding a new way to make you WTF today' Marum
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thousands in scramble for free books after Amazon supplier abandons warehouse

The treasure hunters stand knee-deep in Danielle Steels, Len Deightons and Jeffrey Archers, hoping to find more exotic literary fare.

This is the scene at a huge book warehouse whose contents are being given away after they were abandoned.

Strewn across the floor are thousands of volumes. Many are a little dog-eared or have yellowing pages. But since they are free, who's complaining?

Bibliophiles have travelled from far and wide to the old Bookbarn site on an industrial estate in Brislington, Bristol.

Yesterday, Porsches and BMWs were parked alongside vans outside as the scavengers carried out their finds in crates and on trolleys.

In an endearing display of how the British love the offer of something for nothing, someone had even come with a small trailer on the back of his car. Others were seen stacking books in prams.

Inside the warehouse, Travis Speedie was crouched in a mound of books, ferreting about and gleefully placing his finds into a large wooden box.
Enlarge Book warehouse

Over two hours the 25-year-old student had already managed to find 20 volumes of Compton's Encyclopaedia and was now desperate to complete the set.

'I love old books,' he said. 'It's a mess in here, real chaos, but it's so exciting looking through it all.

'It's like finding treasure when you discover something you want.

'I've also found a nice, illustrated copy of William Blake's poems and I want to get some history books too.'

Hazel Gurneet, 61, a retired PA, had found 'a couple of cratefuls' of things she fancied, mainly gardening and natural history books, and was coming back for more.

She said: 'It's an unbelievable site when you walk in here. Lots of the bookcases have been knocked over and the books are everywhere. It doesn't feel right having to walk over all these wonderful books to find what you want. But given the cost of new books these days, who's going to refuse this?'
Enlarge Book warehouse

Nurse Sarah Campbell, 27, there with her son Daniel, seven months, said: 'It's a strange situation, but I've managed to get a carrier bag full of children's books for my little boy.'

The warehouse, whose lease recently ran out, once contained as many as five million books destined to be sold online.

After the lease expired, he firm running the secondhand book business moved out, leaving it full of books.

Managers of the industrial estate invited people to help themselves so they can free up space at the site.
Book warehouse

Director of the industrial estate Ashley Nicholson said: 'We asked Bookbarn to clear the books and they got rid of some of them but there is still a huge, huge number inside the warehouse.

'We thought it was a sensible idea to give people the opportunity to come along and choose themselves a book or two and help us clear the warehouse.

'The response has been unbelievable since we opened it to the public. It's like a swarm of locusts.
Enlarge Book warehouse

'I've seen people backing cars and vans into the warehouse so they can stock up.

'One couple even came in a campervan and I think they slept overnight and then crammed as many books as they could into their van and drove off.'

The contents of the aircraft hangar-sized warehouse are a librarian's worst nightmare, with the books piled willy-nilly and not separated according to subject or genre.

For those with the time to browse, the great giveaway continues next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If it falls on me and pins me underneath it, does that still count as seizing the day?
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to weep when I see books being treated like that.

However, I am glad to see that there are lots of people who are picking them up and seem to appreciate them.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
claymore_57 wrote:

Me, too.soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
that picture is harrowing, i have to look away...

people standing on defenseless books, crushing their spines, trampling on those poor fragile pages in a desperate search for a loved one... oh the humanity cry

and

i use to live a few miles from there and i am desolated that i cannot take part in the pillaging of free defenseless tombs arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Benak
Serbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harkleroad
United States
Butler, PA
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
claymore_57 wrote:

However, I am glad to see that there are lots of people who are picking them up and seem to appreciate them.....

Yes, I'm certain they really appreciate the after market value on eBay and Half.com...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If it falls on me and pins me underneath it, does that still count as seizing the day?
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
oi_you_nutter wrote:

i am desolated that i cannot take part in the pillaging of free defenseless tombs :arrrh:

I think you meant "defenseless tomes".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nieman
United States
Simi Valley
California (CA)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
claymore_57 wrote:

To me, the fact that many of these books will survive to be read and discussed makes this scene in Bristol a very happy one, indeed.

I'm sure we all can agree that the above photo is more inspiring than this scene in Nazi Germany:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, when I first glanced at the picture, I was thinking it was another PTA rampage about Huckleberry Finn or Fahrenheit 451 or even Grapes of Wrath.

In High School, we had a choice Grape of Wrath or The Sound and the Fury. Out of 350+ seniors, only 6 of us read Faulkner. *sigh* I think that choice is gone now, due to the "rape/assault" scene...idiots win again. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
claymore_57 wrote:

A lady at work told me that when she's finished reading a paperback, she throws it out.

surprisesurprisesurprise

I couldn't believe that when I heared it. i said "why don't you donate them to a library"

she said "yea, I've thought of that" but she didn't seem interested. I also told her about bookcrossing.com, and she said "thats too much work"

sigh..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the one and only
Germany
Nettetal - Kaldenkirchen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dante_Cubit wrote:

To me, the fact that many of these books will survive to be read and discussed makes this scene in Bristol a very happy one, indeed.

I'm sure we all can agree that the above photo is more inspiring than this scene in Nazi Germany:

This was "murder", and the best of the German authors were forced into exile or silenced. A Dark Age! I hope to never see a picture like that again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.