Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
In StarCraft, the Stage I and II event decks together were 10 cards.
In Broodwar the Stage I and II event decks together are 18 cards.

This more than doubles the length of the game, and for most galaxies makes SVC useless. Instead, make a play for those VPs!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cesar Pim
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrWeasely wrote:
In StarCraft, the Stage I and II event decks together were 10 cards.
In Broodwar the Stage I and II event decks together are 18 cards.

This more than doubles the length of the game, and for most galaxies makes SVC useless. Instead, make a play for those VPs!

Speaking only about my personal preference, I think that 1v1 was too short in the core game. I prefer how it is in the expansion, but that's just me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
While I agree that it was too short, I think they might have overcompensated and now made it way too long. I'm thinking 14-16 cards might be the sweet spot.

Then again, I don't currently research much past T2 unless I have the strategy card that lets me play two event cards. In that case I'll generally buy an extra golden order module and put down a golden research a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're doing Brood Wars, though, you might not even HAVE a SVC, though; it means choosing one of the other Stage I leadership cards more of a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Mahoney
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah...
I agree that 9 cards in each stage makes the deck too large for 1v1. Ideally I think you should hit stage three right as the game is coming to the climax (last turn or two). I've played games of 1v1 that have ended right as we hit stage 2.

However, it seems like the main reason for this shift in numbers is the stage 2 leadership cards. With only five cards in each stage, some leadership cards become dramatically overpowered. Arcturus and Tassadar can get a free battlecruiser and carrier respectively at stage two. This makes burning through five cards and picking up the research (Yamato Cannon or Improved Carrier Capacity) very tempting.

I try to balance this by adding a house rule of 7 cards in each stage. The games of 1v1 that I've played with this have ended just after or just as we reached stage 3, so it seems to work well on that front. Also, burning through seven event cards without your opponent cooperating leaves you far enough behind to make it not worth it.

Of course, it is exceedingly rare for any of the games I play to end because of 'The End Draws Near', so I don't think that the event deck has as dramatic an effect on the game length as the number of CPs on the map. That said, it's slightly disappointing for a game to end when you've not even reached stage two. Well, unless you're a zerg player and won be elimination.

At any rate, 7 cards seems to be a good number for most of our games. I recommend giving it a shot and seeing if it works out well for you. Since most of my games are 1v1 I'd be interested to see what other people think of this change (so I can tell whether my experience is common, or a fluke).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.