Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David A
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, I know this question is answered somewhere, but I really just cannot find it! In any case, maybe it's useful to at least have an answer here with the question in the Subject Title. Remember, kids...titling your thread "A Few Questions" is not helpful to others...

Is the deck reshuffled in between dungeon levels?

The original rules imply that the OL totally "resets" between dungeon levels, but Official Errata/Clarification from Kevin Wilson et al states that at the end of each dungeon level the OL keeps threat, power cards (up to campaign level limit), and hand for the next level. However, this statement makes no mention of the deck itself...is it re-shuffled or does the OL remain that much closer to exhausting the deck and gaining conquest tokens?

Frankly, if the answer is "no reshuffle" I'm going to consider a reshuffle house rule, since I have yet to get through a full dungeon with the OL earning fewer conquest than the players, but I'd at least like to know the official ruling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Servo
United States
watkinsville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
resin wrote:

Is the deck reshuffled in between dungeon levels?

No, the deck is not reshuffled between dungeon levels as far as I know. Unfortunately I can't point you to an "official" ruling except to say that I've lurked around the Descent FFG forums for quite a bit now, and this seems to be the concensus.

Hope this helps, and long live The Overlord devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a clarification in the FAQ:

Quote:
Dungeon Levels
The Dungeon Level Setup rules on page 17 are misleading. The Overlord should shuffle his deck and draw a new hand only at the start of the first dungeon level, not every level in a given dungeon.

Everyone should have a copy of the FAQ. If you don't have it, get it now. Keep it handy.
http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/descent/descen...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I think part of the confusion can be from the fact that if you "save" the game between dungeon levels, it essentially reshuffles the deck in a way: You don't keep track of the exact discards vs non-discards, just the NUMBER of discards. Rather, it says when you start up again, you take the deck, shuffle it, and then discard randomly the number you had recorded; they may or may not be the same ones.

In fact, if I recall, the rules for saving/restoring are such that if you do that, you get to re-choose your treachery for the restart, as it's not recorded either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
I think part of the confusion can be from the fact that if you "save" the game between dungeon levels, it essentially reshuffles the deck in a way: You don't keep track of the exact discards vs non-discards, just the NUMBER of discards. Rather, it says when you start up again, you take the deck, shuffle it, and then discard randomly the number you had recorded; they may or may not be the same ones.

Not me. Since I am only playing RtL right now, I store the "state" of the OL cards between sessions if we stop in the middle of a dungeon. I have three pieces of paper labeled "Draw", "Discard" and "Hand" to wrap up the different parts of the deck. Then at the start of the new session I just shuffle up to the "draw" portion to demonstrate that the deck is not stacked and then we go.

Of course, this would not work if I wanted to play a stand alone Descent session. I believe they wrote the rules to accommodate people who did not want to store the exact state of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PerAnton Larsson
Sweden
Örnsköldsvik
flag msg tools
So if i understood you guys right..
You dont reshufle the cards between dungeons... but what happens with your hand that u have and your powers that you had?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Servo
United States
watkinsville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maldrok wrote:
You dont reshufle the cards between dungeons... but what happens with your hand that u have and your powers that you had?

Between dungeon *levels*, they all stay the same. Powers in play stay in play, threat stays as it was, cards in hand stay as they were.

Now, if the players move to a different dungeon *location* on the map then you do reset everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maldrok wrote:

At the start of a new dungeon (i.e. level 1), the OL shuffles the OL deck and draws three cards. He starts with no threat in hand and no power cards in play (unless the dungeon is reinforced by a lieutenant).

At the start of levels 2 and 3 of a dungeon, the OL keeps all cards in hand and unspent threat from the previous level. All power cards stay in play. The OL deck is not shuffled.

The OL deck is ONLY reshuffled during a dungeon if the deck runs out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.