Popular Tags: [View All]
Gesine Stanienda
Ireland
Galway
Galway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really, really enjoy Runebound and play it solo with Doom Track and Mr. Skeletor’s rules. To spice it up a bit and give it some more flavour, I’m also using the Cities of Adventure variant http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/24306.
However, as has been stated by others, sometimes it can seem like overkill to get so many events in one go when you go into a city (and it may get repetitive as well). This is why I have changed it slightly: I’ve kept all the events and the cities they are associated with (because the theme is just so brilliantly thought out). I have numbered them from 1 to 7. When I go into a city, I roll 1d10. On a 1-7, the associated event happens, 8 to 0 nothing happens. This way, you get nice or nasty surprises, but not on every trip to the city. This suits me well. Perhaps it is a suggestion for other players, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelein de Cratia
Spain
Guayota City
Nivaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He, he. I use it in that way too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Iron
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This variant sounds great. I might give it a try next time we play Runebound. My only problem with rolling 1d10 is that the chances are the same to get the swamp event as the road event. The events of the Cities of Adventure was designed in a way that you should have a much better chance to get a road than a mountain or a swamp. The size of rewards/challenges of the events reflect this chance factor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gesine Stanienda
Ireland
Galway
Galway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good point. However, the issue that made me change it was that I didn't like the fact they came up so often. That's what I also dislike about the story die in Sands of Al Kalim...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Crowson
United States
Eyota
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try something like Wizards, where you roll 2 dice and take the higher of the 2 values to determine the city encounter.

Roll 2d8 , and take the higher of the two.
8 = No encounter
7 = Plains
6 = River
5 = Road
4 = Hills
3 = Mountain
2 = Forest
1 = Swamp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting.

Cities of Adventure is one of my favorites too, but when I play it, I usually just make it an optional action to roll the story die when I enter a city. So if I'm really suffering or time is running out, I might not embark on an adventure, but if I have some time to spare, I'll go on a little tangent in the city.

I agree the theme is really well thought-out; it really brings the world and cities to life!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lewis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well why not, as suggested:

8-0 nothing happens.

But 1-7 then roll the terrain dice as per the variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mika R.
Finland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I put my own little suggestion at the end of the PDF:

Optional rule: If you don't want to
use Cities of Adventure constantly
during your game, put adventure
counters or any other tokens to each
city. Every time you enter a city that
has a token, use these rules and
remove the counter. Other times enter
the city using normal rules. You may
refresh the city adventure counters if
event card is drawn. This will reduce
the need for constant dice rolling upon
entering cities.

EDIT:
After reading the OP more carefully I found out that you are more concerned about the number of simultaneous events to which this rule does not bring any help. Sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mika R.
Finland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bveld wrote:
This variant sounds great. I might give it a try next time we play Runebound. My only problem with rolling 1d10 is that the chances are the same to get the swamp event as the road event. The events of the Cities of Adventure was designed in a way that you should have a much better chance to get a road than a mountain or a swamp. The size of rewards/challenges of the events reflect this chance factor.

Hmm.. How are the chances the same? If you roll first the travel dice and then use 1d10 for each symbol to "validate" it, ratios between probabilities should stay intact?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.