8 Posts

Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Do I really need multiples of the boosters and base set? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hahn Arama
United States
flag msg tools
I had a guide, a Bedouin man, who called me 'Abu el Banat'. And whenever we'd meet another Bedouin, he'd introduce me as Abu el Banat. And the Bedouin would laugh and laugh and offer me a Pint of beer. (cont below)
badge
And I'd go to pay them for the beer and they wouldn't let me. "Abu el Banat" means "father of daughters." They thought the beer was the least they could do.
mbmbmbmbmb
OK a few things about my "game"

I love the Arkham Horror theme.

I DESPISE the set up time and 3+ hour games. So I was thinking this game might be a good fit for me.

I've never bought into a CCG or any collectible because I plain out refuse to spend x^3 $ to get that one uber rare card I am missing.

I had the chance to play last week and I though it was pretty fun. I could just sit down and play. Plus is had the "feel"

My question is this. I've seen multiple posts stating that to make the game work you need to but multiple starters and boosters. To me it almost sounds like a CCG in disguise.Is this true? Or as I am starting to wonder are these post from hard core CCG guys who try and build the perfect deck with multiples of the baddest bad ass cards out there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahnarama wrote:

" or are these - - - posts from hard core CCG guys who try and build the perfect deck with multiples of the baddest bad ass cards out there?"

I think more the latter. You can play and have plenty of fun with only a single core set. If you want to tune up your deck so that it always crushes your opponents, by including three copies of every overpowered card, that's when you will need to buy more cards.

So do buy the coreset and play. There is little chance that you will be seduced into the alternate mindset.

Chick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hahn Arama
United States
flag msg tools
I had a guide, a Bedouin man, who called me 'Abu el Banat'. And whenever we'd meet another Bedouin, he'd introduce me as Abu el Banat. And the Bedouin would laugh and laugh and offer me a Pint of beer. (cont below)
badge
And I'd go to pay them for the beer and they wouldn't let me. "Abu el Banat" means "father of daughters." They thought the beer was the least they could do.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback. Thoughthammer here I come.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hahnarama wrote:
I've never bought into a CCG or any collectible because I plain out refuse to spend x^3 $ to get that one uber rare card I am missing.

hahnarama wrote:
My question is this. I've seen multiple posts stating that to make the game work you need to but multiple starters and boosters. To me it almost sounds like a CCG in disguise.Is this true?

Well, you won't have to spend x^3 to get an uber rare card. But you might have to spend 3x to get a full playset of a card, if you want to try out a specific deck concept. Basic computer science reminds us that exponential costs rise faster than linear costs, so the question is where you are going to set x. cool

There are some reasons you might want to get multiple copies of a set. You aren't going to be able to make a single color deck for several months at least, unless you get two copies of the starter. I prefer multi-color decks myself, but YMMV. There are also some cards in the base set that cry out for using multiples: Deep Ones, it seems, should hunt in packs. But there are plenty of deck concepts out there, so you aren't forced into trying that one out unless you play enough to get tired of everything else. (And if you do that, you've probably squeezed out enough entertainment to justify the extra expense.) Finally, for the next few months, deck building options are going to be kind of limited: if you develop a favorite faction or factions, your opponent will quickly figure out which 25 cards you are playing out of the 35 available, and you lose some of the spontenaity (sp?). That will clear up as more Asylum Packs come out, or if you decide to throw in some boosters of the old CCG.

I think it is mostly the hard-core who insist that the game is bad without multiple copies of every card. If you just want a simple game, with Cthulhu-inspired artwork and game play, you don't need the copies. If you play to win, or even just to explore the available game space, then you might end up wanting more. If I had more local players, I would probably buy a second Starter set myself, just to have more options. A third seems like overkill, though, unless you plan on playing in competitive tournaments. And one of each Asylum Pack is probably sufficient for me: no unusable commons, and hopefully reason prevails in keeping uncommons from being too powerful in numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hahn Arama
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So if I never plan on hard core organized tourny play and just want to have this game on the shelf to break out for some 2 player fun, then I should be OK getting the starter and one of each booster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bertrand Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing to remember is that the current organized play format from FFG requires you to only use 1x Core Set + 1x (specific AP) + 1x (AP of choice). So even if you had 3 of everything you wouldn't be able to use it in the official league.

You can read it here:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/coc/support/ad...

Quote:
A player in a CoC LCG League starts off with a CoC
Core Set, 1 copy of Asylum Pack 7, and player’s choice
of any other LCG Asylum Pack. (AP5 and up.)
An additional LCG Asylum Pack (player’s choice) is
added to a player’s cardpool at the beginning of week
2 and at the beginning of week 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hahn Arama
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man just another reason I LOVE BGG!

My answer is right there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.