England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
This week in 'Under The Spotlight' the keyboard mashing and RSI is handed over to Scott Everts.

Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb

I've been regularly stumbling over Scotts contributions on BGG for the past year or so. I haven't really had a great deal in the way of thread banter with him. He just happens to have a habit of nipping in & thumbing everything I intend to thumb first Grrrrrrrrr. He also seems to post in and follow a fair few game forums that I do.

His contributions of over eighty File uploads are nothing short of invaluable, and he has also been a busy fellow designing some gorgeous Microbadges; with a respectable selection of over 40 of them for you to choose from.

Take it away Scott:

ScottE wrote:
When Rob sent me a GeekMail and said that he wanted me as the next Geek of the Week, I’ll admit I squealed like a little girl! Well a manly man’s squeal anyway! Wow, I still can’t believe I was picked! Thanks Rob, I really am honored.

I’m not sure where to start but I suppose you want to know my background and where boardgames fit in it!

I’ve been into SciFi and later Fantasy since I was about 12. My first SciFi book was Robert A. Heinlein's "Between Planets" which I found in a Bookmobile that used to visit the grade school I went to. Read over 20 of his books before trying out other authors. Fantasy didn’t interest me much then but started reading some in high school when I discovered D&D! That was in the early 80’s in Virginia where all the local religious schools were banning/burning the game. Fortunately my school didn’t have any issues with it!

Moved with my family to California about 1984. Went to Cal State Fullerton and worked part time at a computer software store called Egghead Software (no, really!) Many of the employees were RPG fans so for years we played every Saturday- D&D, GURPS, Traveller, & Warhammer Fantasy.

I got a degree in Communications- Radio/TV/Film, specializing in Film. My last year of school I got a production intern job at Paramount Studios working on MacGyver Season 6. That was fun though eventually got pretty boring since the show was shot in Canada so all I did was run scripts around on a bicycle all day around the lot. Did make friends with a grip on Star Trek: TNG so got a private tour of the sets! Being a Trek fan that was amazing! I got to see stage 10 with Engineering & Sickbay. Stupid me, they were shooting on stage 9 with the bridge and 10 Forward and I could of seen those later in the day. But not wanting to drive in LA traffic during rush hour I decided not to stick around. I still regret that decision!!

After graduation (1991) I did a stint on a very low budget movie which was horrible. The production manager was MEAN! At $40 a day (10+ hour days) I decided to quit after a few weeks. But luck would have it a friend working at Interplay (computer game company) was looking for people to help test their games. I had a chance to return to Egghead Software but the thought of working in retail seemed depressing so took the game testing job. Loved it and slowly moved up the ranks, staying there 13 years until they finally imploded and I moved on.

It was during my stay at Interplay that boardgames started creeping into my life. As my friends and I got older it was getting harder to find the time for long RPG sessions. People got girlfriends and Saturdays would be off limits. But with boardgames we didn’t have to schedule regular sessions so games like Talisman, Warhammer, & various wargames became the norm. Then Catan hit and gaming started to pick up steam.

The big boardgaming change for me was Gencon 2000. The company I worked for sent a few of us there since we were working on D&D computer games at the time. While wandering the dealer’s room I saw a small booth by an unknown publisher named Wizkids. And they had this little game called Mage Knight! I always loved minis but didn’t enjoy painting them and here were prepainted ones! That game cost me several thousand dollars until I finally broke the addiction. But Mage Knight Dungeons is still one of my top rated games, an underappreciated variant that is one of the best dungeon crawl systems out there. That’s all I kept, the rest went on eBay at a considerable lose. I now have a personal rule, no more blind purchase games, ever! Well, unless they are dead and you can get them super cheap on Tanga.

While dealing with my addiction to MK I started noticing all the awesome boardgames out there. I used to buy tons of RPG books. They dominated my shelves with a few boardgames mixed in. Then that slowly changed over the past 10 years. I’ve sold off almost all my RPG books except for a few exceptions. I still have an extensive Classic Traveller collection that I keep just because I love the game system and universe so much.

In 2004 I discovered BoardGameGeek and found a haven for boardgame addicts. Over the years it has become my number one stop each day. Like most people I started as a lurker. Slowly I began to contribute, first just posting, then making play aids for the various games I like. Making play aids is one of my favorite hobbies. I’m often surprised how many boardgames don’t have decent play aids. I suppose it’s a cost cutting move but it sucks when you have to constantly refer to various charts throughout a manual just to play a game.

Today I’m part of a small gaming group of 4 regular players. We are all very close friends and two of them are BGG regulars- Chris Taylor (anarchy) & Tom Decker (TheRook). I’ve known these guys for years and used to work with them at Interplay. We all live within 5 miles of each other too! I’m also a regular attendee to the Strategicon gaming cons in LA. Been going to them for over 20 years, originally as an RPG’er but now as a card carrying boardgamer. I joined the Orange County Board Gamers group last year and now regularly attend the monthly Duck Club meetings. Chris, Tom, and I have fooled around with designing games in our spare time. Like many BBG’ers we hope to get something published, eventually...

I have to thank BoardGameGeek for giving me an outlet for my creative work. If not for this site I don’t think I’d have become such a boardgame fan. I wonder how many others were positively affected by BGG? As an example years ago I did a series of color terrain templates for Mage Knight. At the time I had no way to offer them to fans. So contacted Wizkids and made a contact with Jim Long who offered to host them on their site. This was great since now everyone could get them. But now that the company is dead eventually their site will die, but thanks to BGG I can host my art here and it can live on long after the original company is dead (unless Aldie gets hit by a bus!)

So was trying to think of 2 truths and 1 lie. My life is pretty boring except for the excitement of the fickle computer game industry. But then probably not much different for other professions in this economy. But I did get involved in various Star Trek stuff years ago in Hollyweird. I expect the number of Trek fans is pretty high here so check these out and guess which is the lie!

1. Was third choice for two open Production Assistant positions for Star Trek: TNG Season 4. As Maxwell Smart would say, missed it by THAT much!

2. During an audio recording session for a Star Trek computer game Leonard Nimoy called me an asshole!

3. Did an internship at Paramount Studios for four months and never saw one star the entire time!

!!!Congratulations!!!

Here are a slew of questions to loosen up the grey matter:

- What is your favourite British Comedy Film?

- What is your favourite British Horror Film?

- If you were to put together a band that contained your all-time favourite musicians, who would play each instrument, drums, lead guitar, bass, keyboards, & vocals, and what style of music would you expect the resulting combo to play?

- Which games in your collection take up the most & least shelf/floor space?

- Based on your physical attributes, If you were living in Tolkiens Middle Earth, what race would you belong to?

- What are your 'Five' all time tip top cream of the crop Desert Island Disc Albums?

- What game(s) spring to mind where the components are either poorly designed or inadequate, that you could easily see a way they could simply be improved upon?

For your two truths and a lie I'm going to say number 1 is the lie. Missing it by a hairs chuff would've seen you in the top two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Got two game tables and a microphone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) First Poster WOOOO!

2) Congratulations Sir!

3) Who was your favorite MST3K character, and did the show jump the shark after Joel left in your opinion? (I think it did actually)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
GRATZ! Disregard that 1st 'poseur' behind the "draperies" and could you at least *dust* those OFF some eh? oh, and those don't 'match' the "carpeting" either...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
AWESOME!!!! Great pic for GOTW!!

Congrats Scott!

Only one question for me.

If you only had one MST3K episode to watch for the rest of your life, which one would you pick?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Wilks
United States
Peshastin
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Love one another."
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!

Love the goofy avatar. The Neuroshima Hex reference cards you made are great and I'm glad they made it into the newest edition.
And it's always nice to see another Merchant of Venus lover.

I think #1 is the lie because I want #2 to be true so badly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Scott.

Thanks for your excellent and varied contributions to BGG!

My questions begin with the best interview Qs ever, from Bernard Pivot, the French intellectual:

1. What is your favourite word?
2. What is your least favourite word?
3. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? (or, what's your favourite drug?)
4. Whom would you put on a new currency bill?
5. What sound or noise do you love?
6. What sound or noise do you hate?
7. What is your favourite curse word?
8. What profession would you not like to do?
9. If reincarnation exists, in the form of which plant, tree, or animal would you like to return?
10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?

To which I add:
11. Given your Paramount experience, how would you repair a broken bike chain with aluminum foil, 4 tylenol capsules, and a stick of Wrigley's Spearmint?

I believe #2 is the lie. Nimoy wouldn't call someone an asshole. He'd have said "fucker."

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Treacher
United Kingdom
Moorlinch
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Scott - a well deserved award for a good & interesting writer, not to mention a really nice chap...!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Damn, I don't really have time for this, you know?

Only you will care anyway, as is often the case.

But since it's you...
I'll think extra and throw that in as well.

d10-1 Which was you favorite color Apple IIgs screen?

d10-2 Fonts - I can't remember you ever saying anything about these - which is your current favorite, or any knee-jerk answer?

d10-3 Empire by Interstel?

d10-4 Your favorite continent from a graphics perspective?

d10-5 You've never rated Domaine - why not? (I know for a fact that you're not retarded.)

d10-6 Name the top 10 mendicants on BGG.

d10-7 Theme: when building that wall or growing that farm, do you ever lose yourself in the feeling that you're building that wall or growing that farm?

d10-8 Discuss at any length a Great Experience you've had pimping any game, including printing or redesigning any from scratch.

And finally... congratulations scott! Very nice of Zombie; it was only a matter of time.

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another excellent pick! I can hardly imagine you were not GOTW already!
CONGRATULATIONS and thanks again for all your great files and everything!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric M. Aldrich I
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Scott!

Scott has been a regular seller at the Strategicon flea markets and has always had the most interesting DVDs for sale. I've probably bought at least 10 titles from him over the years. He has also had some soundtracks on CD from various games Interplay did, which are, to say the least, interesting to listen to.

So a great choice. Enjoy your week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Decker
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations ScottE!!!!

First this and then you defeat us all soundly in a game of Glory to Rome! It must really be your week.

I can't wait to read some of your answers to these questions, too. And I'm pretty sure I know your lie, but I won't spoil anything. I hope you made it to the market before it closed and the tall, cute girl was working checkout for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got back from gaming night and see my week has begun! Thanks Rob again for the honor! You are a tough act to follow, being undead and all, and not eating my brains first! And, wow, got a lot of questions already to tackle! Thanks all for the wonderful comments. I’ll try to honor the post of Geek of the Week with the seriousness the position demands. Screw that! Lets get busy!

zombiegod wrote:
Here are a slew of questions to loosen up the grey matter:

- What is your favourite British Comedy Film?

Favorite British Comedy would be "A Fish Called Wanda". I love that movie and have seen it many times. The director, Charles Crichton, used to direct episodes of "Space: 1999" for you trivial buffs which is my all time favorite British TV series.

zombiegod wrote:
- What is your favourite British Horror Film?

Favorite British Horror film would be "Quatermass and the Pit". When I was young that movies scared the crap out of me and its still incredible.

zombiegod wrote:
- If you were to put together a band that contained your all-time favourite musicians, who would play each instrument, drums, lead guitar, bass, keyboards, & vocals, and what style of music would you expect the resulting combo to play?

I’m a big movie soundtrack collector so my familiarity with bands is not great. Though I’ve heard some pretty impressive score/rock hybrid scores. Those can work pretty well if done right.

zombiegod wrote:
- Which games in your collection take up the most & least shelf/floor space?

My biggest game space is taken up by my Mage Knight Dungeons collection. But compared to what it was like when I had my huge MK & MKD collection its not bad. At one point I had an almost complete collection of all things MK including all the castle stuff which took up so much space it blocked my closet! Now its just the Dungeons stuff and so manageable. As for my smallest game that would be Dungeoneer: Haunted Woods of Malthorin & Dungeoneer: Den of the Wererats. Both same size box and very small.

zombiegod wrote:
- Based on your physical attributes, If you were living in Tolkiens Middle Earth, what race would you belong to?

As for a race in Middle Earth I’m sure I’d be a dwarf. Not super tall and sadly chunkier then I’d like! Guess better then a hobbit!

zombiegod wrote:
- What are your 'Five' all time tip top cream of the crop Desert Island Disc Albums?

As for favorite albums for a desert island I’d choose some soundtracks. I love John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith. Both great composers, though if I had to listen to stuff over and over it would be heavy Williams scores. Sounds like a cliché considering he’s one of the few composers that almost everyone has heard of but he’s great.

Raiders of the Lost Ark, Empire Strikes Back, Superman I (original), Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Heavy Metal (Elmer Bernstein score).

zombiegod wrote:
- What game(s) spring to mind where the components are either poorly designed or inadequate, that you could easily see a way they could simply be improved upon?

As for games with poor components that’s a tough call. I tend to cull out games over time and sometimes sell off games that just look horrible. I’ve not purchased games because they looked so bad I couldn’t get excited to play them. In my game collection now several stand out for a facelift- John Carter: Warlord of Mars, Battlecars, & Duel of Ages Set 1: Worldspanner could use a redo with updated components.

Merchant of Venus has already been done by the very talented Dathkadan. Someday if I have a free month I’ll build a copy with his art. I love this game and to be honest I’m not totally hating the original. For the time it was made the artwork was pretty good. And I already did abit of pimping of my copy. If you check out the images section there’s some pics of some of the upgrades I did to my copy.

zombiegod wrote:
For your two truths and a lie I'm going to say number 1 is the lie. Missing it by a hairs chuff would've seen you in the top two.

I’m not telling! Yet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
daveroswell wrote:
1) First Poster WOOOO!

2) Congratulations Sir!

3) Who was your favorite MST3K character, and did the show jump the shark after Joel left in your opinion? (I think it did actually)

My favorite character was always TV's Frank. When he left I was very sad. I never thought Dr. Forrester's mother worked well as a replacement. It moved Forrester to the butt of jokes instead of the "in charge" guy. Frank was always a good straight man.

Not sure if it jumped the shark but it certainly changed greatly. The production values got much better in the later seasons but the "seat of the pants" style of the early stuff had a great charm. Mike took some getting used to but I grew to like him fine. If I had to choose I'll still stick with Joel though. I'd say the in-movie writing got pretty good as the show progressed. If you watch the very early seasons there's not nearly as much riffing during the movie.

I do like the Film Crew videos though I miss the bots and wish they had more host segments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
GRATZ! Disregard that 1st 'poseur' behind the "draperies" and could you at least *dust* those OFF some eh? oh, and those don't 'match' the "carpeting" either...

Thanks, and just to get it out of the way, the carpet does match the drapes!

TGov wrote:
AWESOME!!!! Great pic for GOTW!!

Congrats Scott!

Only one question for me.

If you only had one MST3K episode to watch for the rest of your life, which one would you pick?

That would be episode 310 "Fugitive Alien". It's a Japanese scifi series from the 60's that was turned into TV movies. They did the sequel in episode 318. Man I loved that one. The song "He tried to kill me with a forklift!" sticks in my head to this day!

Scruffdog wrote:
Congratulations!

Love the goofy avatar. The Neuroshima Hex reference cards you made are great and I'm glad they made it into the newest edition.
And it's always nice to see another Merchant of Venus lover.

I think #1 is the lie because I want #2 to be true so badly.

Yeah, I've seen every MST3K at least twice. I've got them all on DVD! A few times I've thought about changing my avatar but people associate you with your avatar and I've used this and a lesser quality variant for years so plan to stick with it. Besides I still watch the series as background while working at home on my computer. When I hit the end of season 10 I just start over!

Glad you like the Neuroshima Hex! ref cards! I loved doing them. Funny thing I've not played the game that many times but certainly know the rules well! And you'll see my ref cards in Z-Man's Neuroshima Hex! Babel13 later this year!

Merchant of Venus rules!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! I am always pleased to see Dr Clayton Forrester and TV's Frank peering at me when I encounter one of your posts!

Agree about Mom Forrester not being nearly as good as TV's Frank, though I thought Mike replacing Joel wasn't too bad.

Favorite MST3K? Personally, I can never come across the name "Mitchell" without shrieking "MITCHELL". That show has warped me.

You like empire building games. Which ones, and why? Or why not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:
Congratulations, Scott.

Thanks for your excellent and varied contributions to BGG!

My questions begin with the best interview Qs ever, from Bernard Pivot, the French intellectual:

1. What is your favourite word?

Red. My favorite color!

tommynomad wrote:
2. What is your least favourite word?

Hmm, I can not think of one here. I guess I don’t have a least favourite word.

tommynomad wrote:
3. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? (or, what's your favourite drug?)

Soundtracks. I have over 700 and listen to them while I work. If I’m working on something that requires a lot of thinking then I’ll play something quiet. Especially nice violins, woodwinds, and such. If I’m in a hurry or need to be pumped up will play something loud and actiony and/or with a lot of choral work. While writing this I'm listening to the score for "Prince of Darkness" by John Carpenter.

tommynomad wrote:
4. Whom would you put on a new currency bill?

Arnold Schwarzenegger! Ok, maybe I’m kidding abit but would be fun!

tommynomad wrote:
5. What sound or noise do you love?

Rain. We don’t get enough in California.

tommynomad wrote:
6. What sound or noise do you hate?

Scraping sounds of any kind. Unsettling!

tommynomad wrote:
7. What is your favourite curse word?

Fuck!

tommynomad wrote:
8. What profession would you not like to do?

Anything in a slaughterhouse.

tommynomad wrote:
9. If reincarnation exists, in the form of which plant, tree, or animal would you like to return?

Bear.

tommynomad wrote:
10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?

Please come in.

tommynomad wrote:
To which I add:
11. Given your Paramount experience, how would you repair a broken bike chain with aluminum foil, 4 tylenol capsules, and a stick of Wrigley's Spearmint?

I’d use them as barter to give to someone else to fix it!

tommynomad wrote:
I believe #2 is the lie. Nimoy wouldn't call someone an asshole. He'd have said "fucker."

Enjoy your week!

So we have 1 vote for #1, 1 vote for #2. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prodromoi wrote:
Congratulations Scott - a well deserved award for a good & interesting writer, not to mention a really nice chap...!

Thanks and want to tell you how much I love your Thunderbirds microbadges. I have all 5!

duchamp wrote:
Another excellent pick! I can hardly imagine you were not GOTW already!
CONGRATULATIONS and thanks again for all your great files and everything!

Thanks and wanted to thank you again for being so generous on the tips for my Mecanisburgo play aids. I really love that game and want to play it again soon. Had a great time making those play aids too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Liumas wrote:
Damn, I don't really have time for this, you know?

Only you will care anyway, as is often the case.

But since it's you...
I'll think extra and throw that in as well.

d10-1 Which was you favorite color Apple IIgs screen?

I liked the new 320x200 16 color screen mode. I mean you got 16 true colors instead of just 4 and had a total palette of 4096! Man you could make great games with that many colors!

Liumas wrote:
d10-2 Fonts - I can't remember you ever saying anything about these - which is your current favorite, or any knee-jerk answer?

I’ve always loved Arial. I mean every computer in the world seems to have it and its so damn readable!

And for you trivial buffs (and this touches on Question 1) in the original PC computer game Fallout, the font used in the game was a rework of the Apple IIgs system font made by yours truly!

Liumas wrote:
d10-3 Empire by Interstel?

Empire of course. I really have no idea what you’re saying so seemed like a safe bet!

Liumas wrote:
d10-4 Your favorite continent from a graphics perspective?

Continent of Fred

Liumas wrote:
d10-5 You've never rated Domaine - why not? (I know for a fact that you're not retarded.)

The sea is blue, nuff said!

Liumas wrote:
d10-6 Name the top 10 mendicants on BGG.

Better ask Groo, but better stand behind an army first. On second thought that won’t help.

Liumas wrote:
d10-7 Theme: when building that wall or growing that farm, do you ever lose yourself in the feeling that you're building that wall or growing that farm?

I usually find a good hit of scotch beforehand will keep that theme going in my head.

Liumas wrote:
d10-8 Discuss at any length a Great Experience you've had pimping any game, including printing or redesigning any from scratch.

Agricola. I stuck so many resource stickers but boy did they look nice in the end. At cons and game meets people always stop and check them out. Also my Free Trader set turned out really well. Thanks to TGov for the amazing art.

Liumas wrote:
And finally... congratulations scott! Very nice of Zombie; it was only a matter of time.

Enjoy your week!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ealdrich wrote:
Congrats Scott!

Scott has been a regular seller at the Strategicon flea markets and has always had the most interesting DVDs for sale. I've probably bought at least 10 titles from him over the years. He has also had some soundtracks on CD from various games Interplay did, which are, to say the least, interesting to listen to.

So a great choice. Enjoy your week.

Thanks Eric! It's always great to see you at the cons. And thanks for buying all my wacky stuff. I think I'm the last person on Earth to have a stack of Fallout 1 soundtracks left! Not to mention the other obscure stuff I got laying around.

TheRook wrote:
Congratulations ScottE!!!!

First this and then you defeat us all soundly in a game of Glory to Rome! It must really be your week.

I can't wait to read some of your answers to these questions, too. And I'm pretty sure I know your lie, but I won't spoil anything. I hope you made it to the market before it closed and the tall, cute girl was working checkout for you.

Thanks Tom for letting me win! I really had no idea what I was doing in Glory to Rome until about 2/3 through it. And then a dim, foggy plan of action slowly manifested itself based solely on the random decisions I made at the beginning of the game!

Sadly, no, the cute checkout girl was not there. cry

wifwendell wrote:
Congrats! I am always pleased to see Dr Clayton Forrester and TV's Frank peering at me when I encounter one of your posts!

Agree about Mom Forrester not being nearly as good as TV's Frank, though I thought Mike replacing Joel wasn't too bad.

Favorite MST3K? Personally, I can never come across the name "Mitchell" without shrieking "MITCHELL". That show has warped me.

You like empire building games. Which ones, and why? Or why not?

Yeah, poor Mom Forrester just didn't quite work as a villain type. She tried too hard I think. But you did get used to her eventally. During the later seasons when they had the ongoing story and the big cast of characters it was fun to follow. And really I was fine with Mike. The first few episodes he was pretty stiff but after a season he found his groove.

Oh yeah, Mitchell! Did you know there's a card game based on that episode? Check out this link!

http://www.fourhman.com/mitchell/

As for empire building games I'm a big fan of the build process. I just like to have my little empire and watch it grow. Games that allow others to trash my empire usually don't go over well for me. I'm a terrible player though since I get so caught up in the building process I completely miss actually winning! So though I love them, I almost always lose.

For favorites Merchant of Venus is high on the list. Agricola I guess counts though your empire is just a farm. I love that game! Race for the Galaxy was my favorite game of last year narrowly beating out Agricola (my second favorite). Race finishes just too fast. I again get caught up in the whole building process and forget about the VP's so usually lose.

I'd love to make a game that turns Merchant of Venus into a star spanning trading empire game with fully upgraded components, and tons of ship upgrades. But with some Eurogame changes to streamline play. A friend of mine and I were working on something like that but had to shelf the game for now as it became too big, requiring way too much art & components. Hopefully we'll revisit someday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Verbeeck
Belgium
Mol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations. Well deserved.

I'm even wanting to buy the games you uploaded all those files for. Just That I could use them. shake

I go with two as the lie. I can't hear him say asshole.
three I think is very possible.
And 1 reading through your gigantic and interesting introduction is likely. Just wonder how you know that you were third choice. That's something people don't say around here.

I ofen ask something about a highly rated game and looking at your ratings, I notice that you don't rate all(I saw that you played Planet Steam)

What do you think of the art used on that game?

I also see you rate Prophecy a 9.

I have been thinking of getting talisman a couple of times but decided against it because the chances are slim it will get played.

Well looking for alternatives I landed on prophecy, but the three hour playing time won't make this a likely game for the people I game with.

Well I have the I love all games microbadge, so I am looking for a game that offers a good experience in the line of those two games. If there isn't whch on should pick?

the people I play with prefer games that last less than 120 minutes but I can occassionally get a longer game in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:

tommynomad wrote:

Please come in.

"Come back tomorrow." would be a better reply from God

Congradulations all the same!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Scott! It's about time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:

Mitchell is probably one of my favorites as well! Everytime I punch somebody I yell "MITCHELL!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, ScottE!

I can tell this was a clever plan to make you spend even more hours each day on the 'Geek. ^_^

Some questions:
1. If you were being forced by ninjas in the middle of the night to delete one part of BGG (images, reviews, geeklists, files, sessions, forums), what would it be?

2. Do you still cackle insanely as you fondle your geek gold?

3. What is the one game that you sold off at the flea market table that you regret the most for selling?

4. Name your three favorite microbadges.

5. What is your favorite way to travel?

6. Do you have any "guilty pleasures" in your soundtrack collection that you would be embarrassed to reveal? If so, what are they?

7. I know you've been a proponent for increasing the recognition that files get here on BGG. If you had the power to sic the midnight ninjas on Aldie, what would you tell them to say to him?

8. Hypothetically speaking, if you were awakened by a loud knock at your door and a scary gruff man was trying to sell you candy, how would you react?

9. Say the ninjas returned another night, and forced you to get rid of one piece of consumer electronics in your house, what would it be?

10. Favorite sci-fi series of all time NOT named "Space:1999"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KrisVerbeeck wrote:
Congratulations. Well deserved.

I'm even wanting to buy the games you uploaded all those files for. Just That I could use them. shake

I go with two as the lie. I can't hear him say asshole.
three I think is very possible.
And 1 reading through your gigantic and interesting introduction is likely. Just wonder how you know that you were third choice. That's something people don't say around here.

I ofen ask something about a highly rated game and looking at your ratings, I notice that you don't rate all(I saw that you played Planet Steam)

I’m afraid to say anything about my trues/lie since I fear I’ll give something away. But you question on third choice will be answered at the end!

One big failing I have is my poor rating of games. The problem my gaming group has is we all love new games and rarely replay a game right away. We’ve talked about changing that with limited success. Three of us have extensive gaming collections so we are always trying something new. I find it hard to rate a game I just played once since that’s not always fair. So usually I try to wait for a second play before commenting. But then again I don’t do it as much as I should.

Planet Steam was interesting though at the beginning I had no idea what I was doing. It’s one of those games that needs a few plays to sink in. So didn’t rate it for now.

KrisVerbeeck wrote:
What do you think of the art used on that game?

It’s beautiful! And those playing pieces are so cool! Sometimes people use the word "overproduced" and I don’t think that’s possible! I wanted to try it just because of the pieces. If it was dull looking I probably wouldn’t. I think the only valid use for "overproduced" is when the art and components actually hinder play. Such as having some pretty but huge plastic tokens that block players from seeing parts of the board, that might be considered overproduced.

KrisVerbeeck wrote:
I also see you rate Prophecy a 9.

I was a big fan of Talisman and used to own a very nice copy of second edition. I actually bought it new in the 80’s. But it can be a very long game so when I heard feedback on this game taking all the cool stuff from Talisman and making it better I just had to own it. I was one of the lucky few that got the original English edition way before it was generally available in the US. Now have the Z-Man edition which is much nicer. Sadly we don’t play it much but really looking forward to the expansions coming out later this year.

KrisVerbeeck wrote:
I have been thinking of getting talisman a couple of times but decided against it because the chances are slim it will get played.

I just bought the new 4th edition revised. Not sure we’ll ever play it but bought it since the original game is such a classic and FFG really made it beautiful. I might have to drag my friends kicking and screaming to play it!

KrisVerbeeck wrote:
Well looking for alternatives I landed on prophecy, but the three hour playing time won't make this a likely game for the people I game with.

Well I have the I love all games microbadge, so I am looking for a game that offers a good experience in the line of those two games. If there isn't whch on should pick?

the people I play with prefer games that last less than 120 minutes but I can occassionally get a longer game in.

I’d probably say Prophecy over Talisman since it’s a shorter game. Even at 3 hours its still shorter! And you can make it even shorter if you use some of the optional rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.