Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Seeber
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about adding a category to cover games in which there are no decisions to be made? It could be a useful filter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GG and all I got was this lousy overtext!
badge
I spent 200 GG and all I got was this lousy overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
A game can be nondeterministic and yet have no decisions to be made by the players, so you might want to think of a better label ("decision-free"?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Or it could be a daily invitation to a flame war...

just a thought

True
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Thompson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Valar Morghulis
badge
Valar Dohaeris
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have trouble filtering out games like CandyLand or Snakes & Ladders? What non-children's games really have no decisions to be made at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CyanideNow wrote:
What non-children's games really have no decisions to be made at all?

All-Arounder: Women's Gymnastics Game - once you choose the competitors, everything else is dependent on the cards drawn and the look-up tables. Totally decision-free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Seeber
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
A game can be nondeterministic and yet have no decisions to be made by the players, so you might want to think of a better label ("decision-free"?).

True, "deterministic" might be a bit narrow, but then decision-free might be also - many puzzle-solving or knowledge-based games could be considered decision free. Maybe "(pseudo)/random outcome" would be better. But clunky.

Quote:
Do you have trouble filtering out games like CandyLand or Snakes & Ladders? What non-children's games really have no decisions to be made at all?

I'm sure that there any many such games in the database, including many that I've never heard of - there are plenty of linear roll-and-move games around. This is more just a general database usability suggestion, though it would be interesting to find out what is the highest ranked entirely deterministic game in the database!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Such a concept might be interesting, but "deterministic" is definitely not the word for it. I saw the subject line and thought you were talking about combinatorial games of no chance (Chess, Go, etc.), often (confusingly and ambiguously) called "abstract games".

"Decisionless" or some such seems more suitable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.