United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The state of play on the game as of March 2009 is as follows:

(1) The rulebook and scenarios are pretty much complete. In the past week I've shifted a couple of optional rules from the first rules supplement (which contains the campaign) to the main game. I'm now writing some background history on the nightfighters and radars and hunting for aircraft pics to fill out the book. Then it's off to indexing we jolly well go.

(2) We have been tweaking combat values recently and doing some balance testing. The opinion was that there was insufficient distinction between the Viermots and the twin-engined bombers. Also that kill rates may have been a tad on the high side. So we have adjusted some of the firepower values down slightly, to (LN FP)-2, and increased Viermot damage values to 4. This is now in test.

(3) On the test mailing list and Consimworld we have been having a debate on the representation of crew quality in the game. After some analysis of the historical kill rates, we have settled for the notion that the default pilot in the game is actually in the upper quartile of those pilots who achieved kills. This is done deliberately because the average pilot was as blind as a bat and rarely found anything in the sky, let alone hit it. This has led us to move the rules for poor quality pilots over from the campaign rules to the main game and define them to represent 'Joe Average' crews.

(4) Once I have all this work complete I will be able to move over to updating the campaign rules. Green pilots will have a steeper experience curve to climb in the new system, which may make for some raid nights that are a lot less decisive than previously. Those who have played the campaign say it really does add a new dimension to the game, particularly in illustrating the deployment of AI radar and the response to the bomber streams.

(5) The game still climbs the P500 at a fairly slow rate. This may be because the game is unpopular, or because I haven't been able to put enough time into marketing it recently. Most likely, the economic pinch is starting to be felt and folks are dropping their pre-orders as fast as new bugs come along to sign up. I've noticed a lot of two-steps-forward-one-back going on with the numbers recently and I'm guessing that there are gamers who have a lot of goodwill towards the game but feel overextended financially.

(6) I am trying to fill space with a few obscuro aircraft that we do not have scenarios for. Having added the Huricane IIC with AI Mk IV, the chief amongst these is the Fairey Firefly. A pure indulgence, I know, but it's my game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Jacobsson
Sweden
Upplands Vasby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did my part and just placed an order. Hoping for a quick climb now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Brimmicombe-Wood
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KER-CHING!

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos Diavatis
Greece
Melissia
Attica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi and thank you for keeping us updated. Of course we always want more than you're giving so here's my ask.
Is the list of aircraft on the info page complete?

What about:
Douglas Boston/Havoc (turbinlite version?, pandora version?)
Boulton-Paul Defiant
Douglas P-70
Focke-Wulf Fw189
Messerschmitt Me410
Polikarpov U-2

(these are what I'd really like to see)

I am not far from preordering this game. I am convinced that it's not even in the same league with DitD, I need a little more convincing Are you going to release the rules before the game comes out?

Ok, I'd like to ask more things but I stop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Fiett
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grunherz wrote:
Are you going to release the rules before the game comes out?

You can find rule book and scenario book here: http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@12.GZaPee5qzo7.9@.1dd2e8...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Brimmicombe-Wood
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grunherz wrote:

Is the list of aircraft on the info page complete?

No. It's just a sample.

Quote:
What about:
Douglas Boston/Havoc (turbinlite version?, pandora version?)
Boulton-Paul Defiant
Douglas P-70
Focke-Wulf Fw189
Messerschmitt Me410
Polikarpov U-2

The P-70 and Defiant are in. (P-70s at Guadalcanal and Defiants vs. NJG 2 intruders.

The P-70 can be substituted for the Boston, but no Turbinlites, I'm afraid. I gave serious thought to it, but it was a lot of buck (in terms of rules) for very little bang. That said, I have all the bits we need for Turbinlites in the game. I have given thought to releasing such a scenario in one of my planned free supplements after release. (Though there's nothing stopping folks from home-brewing rules for the Turbinlite searchlight, adapting the regular searchlight rules.)

There are no Fw189s, Me410s and Pol U-2s, I'm afraid. The only 410s that appeared in the night battle were used as intruders (and therefore are targets in game terms--I didn't have the counter space for this). I made a conscious decision to keep away from the slow-speed Eastern Front night hunts. At the scale and focus of the game it was not a scenario that would have worked well or added enough variety to play.

Quote:
I am not far from preordering this game. I am convinced that it's not even in the same league with DitD, I need a little more convincing

Duel in the Dark and Nightfighter are completely different games and they don't really overlap much. The Z-Man game is very much focused on the large scale raid: identifying and hunting the bomber stream. My next game, Bomber Command, will cover this exact same territory, but in more detail.

Nightfighter is a tactical game. It is, if you will, what happens within one of the Duel in the Dark hexes. It's the mechanics of the night stalk.

Quote:
Are you going to release the rules before the game comes out?

They have already been posted. Someone has already issued a linky, above. Feel free to go check them out and make up your own mind.

Quote:
Ok, I'd like to ask more things but I stop.

Ask away. I'm happy to chat about the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.