Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hernan Ruiz Camauer
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As some of you may know, I've done a digital conversion of the Aliens Boardgame to use with virtual tabletop software that I've been developing over the last few years (I posted some screenshots on this site a while back). But I'm really itching to play in a real game with real people, because solo play is starting to get a little stale.

Soooo...

I'd like to run a one-shot game on Sunday, March 15th that will run for about two hours (less, if the aliens have their way). My schedule is pretty open, so if you'd be interested in playing, post when is good for you and I'll try to pick the time slot that accommodates the most people.

Requirements:
• The Battlegrounds software Demo, v1.4d (I will post a download link here several days prior to game day). There is nothing to buy, since I will provide Floating Licenses for all the participants.
• A microphone or headset w/ mic
Ventrilo (for voice chat)

Number of slots for players:
2-9.
3 to 4 players would be ideal, but I can take as many as 9 players. Depending on the number of players that show up, each player will control between 1 and 3 characters (and don't expect them all to survive, it can be a deadly game)

General Notes:
We will be playing the Reactor Room scenario, where 9 Colonial Marines with limited armament must fight their way to the APC that will evacuate them to safety.

You do not need to own a copy of the game or even know how to play. The rules will be explained in about 15 mins. prior to the start of the game. Well be using most of the Advanced Rules (e.g., Bonus Bugs, MG special ability, the Frost rule, the Dietrich rule), but no grenades. There will also be a brief tutorial on how to use the software, prior to the game (don't worry, it's very easy).

Fans of the Aliens movie should find this game very enjoyable, and fans of the boardgame will be pleasantly surprised by how much the gameplay and atmosphere are enhanced by the software. Visual aids, sound effects, and music will be used.

If you're interested in playing this but you can't make it that day, no worries; I'll be running it again at iCon '09, a vitual tabletop game convention which will be held this April over Easter weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool J
Cuba
flag msg tools
I joined boardgame geek JUST to answer this post. I sooo want to play. I can't on the 15th, but any other time just let me know.

Prawn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Boudreau
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm a huge aliens fan, but I was never able to get the board game. I hope it's better than the RPG. I'd love to do this, but I don't have the headset capability on my computer... Either way I'd be into checking out this software regardless though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ohh cooool! But not familar with this software?? Is it like Vassal? Will it run on a Intel Mac Core 2Duo please? cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Jacobsson
Sweden
Upplands Vasby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks fantastic!

Are you planning for releasing the finished game some time in the future or will it always be for you're private use only?

Care for putting together a play through session report with pictures?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hernan Ruiz Camauer
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool J,

That sort of enthusiasm should be rewarded.

I'll be sure to let you know if I happen to run this game again between March 15th and the Easter Weekend game session I mentioned in the opening post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hernan Ruiz Camauer
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dirty Harry wrote:
But not familar with this software?? Is it like Vassal? Will it run on a Intel Mac Core 2Duo please? cool

It's vaguely similar to Vassal, in that Vassal is also a virtual tabletop program.

And yes, Battlegrounds runs on any Mac running OS X (v10.1 or higher) and on any PC running Windows 98 or better. Unfortunately, it won't make use of your second processor, but it doesn't really need to, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hernan Ruiz Camauer
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jonjac wrote:
Are you planning for releasing the finished game some time in the future or will it always be for you're private use only?

Private use only, I'm afraid. Don't want to get sued.

jonjac wrote:
Care for putting together a play through session report with pictures?

Sure, if I can remember to snap a few screen captures, I'll post them here.

In the meantime, you might want to read this post-game write-up from when I last ran this event, in 2007.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Johnson
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i would be happy to play with you.

[All ammunation has been confiscated.]

Marine: What are we supposed to use? Harsh language?!

stay well,

jj

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I WANT TO PLAY THIS NOW!!!!!
I've never played the board game but I'm willing to read up the rules etc. let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hernan Ruiz Camauer
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading the rules beforehand won't be necessary, but if you really want to, someone posted a summary of the rules in the Files section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Costa
United States
California
flag msg tools
You better believe it, I got to work most of the day, but I get home by about 5:30 PM pacific standard. I am soooo ready to pown some aliens... and maybe even live!
jc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this still going down? I'd love to join but I may not make the time so I want to adjust my other plans if possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hernan Ruiz Camauer
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is. I'm still not sure of the time, but there has been enough interest that I may hold both an afternoon session and an evening session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hernan Ruiz Camauer
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's game day, at last!

The first game session will start at 4:00 PM EST. Click here to see what time that is in your city, if you're not sure.

We will be using BRPG v1.4e, which you can download by clicking here (for the Windows version) or here (for the Mac version).

My IP address, for both the BRPG session and the Ventrilo server, is (Edit: IP address removed, since games are over). The port number for Ventrilo is 3784.

The plan is for everyone to first meet up in Ventrilo. I will start hosting about 10-15 minutes prior to game time. Once in the Ventrilo chat room, I'll give you a download link for my Aliens boardgame conversion.

I won't be contacting people privately via email or PM, as I had originally intended. It turns out to be too hard to bother with, considering there are folks registered on three separate forums who have an interest in playing.

If all goes well, I'll host a second game session later tonight, around 9:30 PM EST.

Please do not try to attend either game session if you don't have Ventrilo and a mic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hernan Ruiz Camauer
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Both sessions yesterday were a lot of fun, but unfortunately not a single BGG user attended either one. soblue

Here are the post-game summaries, as promised, and some screenshots from Session 2.

Session 1 (2 players):
The Marines divided up into two groups, with one group taking the path north of the stairwell and the other going via the south path. Unfortunately, due to unlucky rolling and around 15-20 bonus bugs, the Marines were slaughtered to the last man.

Session 2 (3 players):
This time the Marines stuck together and took the south path. They did really well, and had incredible luck on their die rolls, hardly ever missing a shot. Even the pistol-carrying Marines bagged a few Aliens! But two nasty alien drops near the exit completely changed the scope of the game. Six of the nine Marines made it out, resulting in a draw. If Vasquez hadn't died due to rolling a 0 on an Acid Spray check at the very end, it would have been a victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Only found out about this now. Shame cause it looks great! Keep us posted with more information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hernan Ruiz Camauer
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be running this game again on Saturday and on Sunday. I've tried to vary the times to ensure as many people as possible can find a timeslot that works for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven emory
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Do you do this sorta thing often? If so I would LOVE to play. The reactor room I have played many times with another friend of mine who owns the game and has kept it since its release in 89. He even found the figures to go with it so it gives you more of a feel! If you ever decide to game down for another go,then post again please!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hernan Ruiz Camauer
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be running this again at least twice a year, during FUMcon. I'll post here a few weeks prior to running the game, to give folks advance notice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven emory
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
You have a version you can play online with other people correct? I have found a few flash versions of this game and its cool and all but you can only solo. Could you tell me how I could go about playing the game with friends online because I would really like to know. Thanks for your time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hernan Ruiz Camauer
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You and your friends are welcome to join in any time I run this game during FUMcon, a virtual tabletop gaming convention which will now be held twice a year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hernan Ruiz Camauer
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyven117 wrote:
You have a version you can play online with other people correct? I have found a few flash versions of this game and its cool and all but you can only solo. Could you tell me how I could go about playing the game with friends online because I would really like to know. Thanks for your time.

See this post. The Flash game is great, but it's hard to beat a true co-op experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hernan Ruiz Camauer
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be hosting another game session (see the OP) on Thursday evening. Anyone with Skype and a mic is welcome to join. We'll be using BRPG v1.6a and the Aliens conversion. Anyone with the free BRPG Demo can play (i.e., no license required).

Start time will be at 7 PM PST (10 PM EST). Show up 10 mins early if you want to be talked through the installation procedure (it's not hard).

Meet in the BRPG Lobby to get the game's IP address.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool J
Cuba
flag msg tools
Let, me know if u have an other one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.