Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Blue Moon City» Forums » Rules

Subject: Discard confusion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pat McGuire
United States
Abingdon
Maryland
flag msg tools
Great game but the rules seem vague on discards and draws.

During a turn you move and then play action cards and then discard/draw. Let's say you played four action cards in your action phase.You now move to the discard/draw phase in which you may discard zero, 1 or two cards and draw two more than you discarded.

My question--are the four cards I played in the action segment part of the official discard? It makes a big difference in the number of cards you draw. In one case, let's say I decided to discard two cards in the discard phase. If I add the four cards discarded in the action phase, the's six discards, meaning I draw eight cards.

On the other hand if the intent is to simply draw based on cards you discarded only in the discard phase--in my example,two--you'd draw a total of four cards. Both in the action and discard section of the rules, the word discard is used. Does anyone have a sense of how this really should be played?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The discards are a separate and distinct event done after all actions are completed. The cards spent during the actions are not discards.

You'll always draw at least two cards, if you didn't do any discarding, but up to four can be drawn if you discard two. Discarded cards are cards that you didn't do anything with at all during the turn.

Usually in our group we start discarding more cards as the various buildings for some races are completed, making those races' cards less valuable.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, you found me... Run!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Jeff, only discards at the end of the turn allows additional draws.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing to consider. If the action cards you played were part of the discards, you could never play more than 0, 1, or 2 actions cards, and that would prevent many actions from ever taking place.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat McGuire
United States
Abingdon
Maryland
flag msg tools
Thanks, everyone. I had a feeling that was the right answer, though in our game last night we got confused and played it wrong.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

I take it then that if I played 4 cards in an action, I get two cards ? I would be two cards short !
We also got confused and ended up with a stack of cards our hands last nightshake
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, you found me... Run!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
elfrododumbo wrote:

I take it then that if I played 4 cards in an action, I get two cards ? I would be two cards short !


There is no such thing as two cards short, you would just have two cards fewer than you did at the beginning of your turn.

To clarify: During your turn you play a don't-care number of cards. At the end, you discard either 0, 1 or 2 cards, and then draw either 2, 3 or 4, respectively.
2 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Thanks, Mikkel.
BTW: can you pick a card from the discarded pile ? We did that when we were not sure what to do about how many cards we could take after each turn and LOL.....it worked quite well !
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Onstad
United States
Donald
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
elfrododumbo wrote:

Thanks, Mikkel.
BTW: can you pick a card from the discarded pile ? We did that when we were not sure what to do about how many cards we could take after each turn and LOL.....it worked quite well !


Sadly you cannot. I can see how it would put a whole lot more thought into what you discarded. It would definitely change the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Symonds
United States
Asheboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Think of it this way:

If you draw cards back from the action phase (the four you played) and any that you discard plus an additional 2, you are in essence taking more cards than you are adding from the pile and eventually, there would be no cards from which to draw at all.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Colorado_Jeff wrote:
Usually in our group we start discarding more cards as the various buildings for some races are completed, making those races' cards less valuable.


Not to be immodest, but this is why I have a good success rate, when my opponents only do this. You should be discarding two cards almost every turn from the start. That is, provided that you do the other essential thing - keep your hand size up, eight cards at minimum (except of course in the run up to the end of the game).

Why? Because card churning keeps the quality of your cards up. That allows you to build using fewer cards, thus keeping your hand size up
and allowing you to churn. It's a self-reinforcing approach. It also allows you to save (just before you need them) those critical grey and yellow cards you need in the game's last stages.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Not to be immodest, but this is why I have a good success rate, when my opponents only do this. You should be discarding two cards almost every turn from the start. That is, provided that you do the other essential thing - keep your hand size up, eight cards at minimum (except of course in the run up to the end of the game).


What criteria do you use when choosing discards early in the game? I try to use any cards that I might potentially discard as a share of a contribution even if it's only the one share, and not a majority. I hate to see a building completed without my help if I have the chance to be in on it.

I have a fairly high win rate, but I find using (or avoid using) dragons at the right moment to help me or hinder my opponents in collecting extra crystals is the key to most of my wins.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Colorado_Jeff wrote:
What criteria do you use when choosing discards early in the game?


Small valued cards, and cards of colours I won't be needing straightaway. Especially the former.

Quote:
I try to use any cards that I might potentially discard as a share of a contribution even if it's only the one share, and not a majority.


I'm not quite sure what you are meaning there. But, for example, if I'm making a 2 or 3 contribution I want to do it with one card, not two. This is generally possible early on, when I'm flexible about where I visit.

And each card I gain is another contribution, or a larger (4) contribution, or a dragon, or a later game turn-saving Flit or Pillar card. Since cards tend to be tight, those differences are critical.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm not quite sure what you are meaning there. But, for example, if I'm making a 2 or 3 contribution I want to do it with one card, not two. This is generally possible early on, when I'm flexible about where I visit.

And each card I gain is another contribution, or a larger (4) contribution, or a dragon, or a later game turn-saving Flit or Pillar card. Since cards tend to be tight, those differences are critical.


I'll definitely explore the ideas you offer. I really enjoy the game, and I appreciate the insight you've shared. I'm a die hard Knizia fan anyway, and this game is one of my favorites.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.