Carthage: The First Punic War» Forums » Rules

Subject: Mercenary War: Carthage siege attrition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Speltz
United States
California
flag msg tools
If Carthage is under siege by the mercenaries, do the cartaginians get any beneficial modifiers to their siege attrition role due to their port?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Risto Marjomaa
Finland
flag msg tools
No. See the scenario description and there "Rules". The first item is that Naval Rules are not used and port modifiers for sieges are included in these (see the tables).

One could, of course, question why not, but this is a moot point. Perhaps it is just that with Carthage itself besieged there is no place left to draw supplies from. The Romans would certainly not help being busy laughing their heads off and conquering new territory from the Carthaginians.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pakfront wrote:
If Carthage is under siege by the mercenaries, do the cartaginians get any beneficial modifiers to their siege attrition role due to their port?

They get -3 as per the Siege Capability rule in the Mercenary War Scenario instructions (p.29 of the Carthage Scenario Book).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Speltz
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks. I had a feeling I had read it once; somehow I just kept missing it. Makes the Mercenary siege ability even more ineffective (as it probably should be). I've played this scenario solo twice and the mercenaries have been wiped out by turn 4 each time. It's a tough fight for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it once, and my Mercenaries failed so miserably it was pretty much over by Turn 1

They made about 3 out of 8 involuntary surrender efforts, just hopeless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:
I've played it once, and my Mercenaries failed so miserably it was pretty much over by Turn 1

They made about 3 out of 8 involuntary surrender efforts, just hopeless.

I've had to play 4 times this scenario until the Mercenaries got a decent first turn. The it is worth playing the other three turns, and see who wins. It is a cat and mouse game.

If the first Mercenary turn just sucks, it is better to give up and start again. After all, it is a 'training' scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.