Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmb
I've made some small but necessary changes to the way file downloading works. If anyone has any problems, please let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmb
I notice from our download logs that many people seem to be downloading the same file twice in a row. Are people running into a problem that it isn't downloading right the first time? Or maybe just double clicking on the download link?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. You can't right-click save-as any more because the link is javascript.

2. The javascript launches a new window which is 1) a new window, and 2) tiny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3. The filename is lost in some cases: geekfile_download.pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Downloads stopped working for me. I'm using Internet Explorer 7. I can't right click and save as. Just get an error. And clicking on the link doesn't do anything.

I'd prefer going back to the old system unless there's a big reason to change things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
And clicking on the link doesn't do anything.

It may be a popup blocker. Try holding down Ctrl while clicking the link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmb
I'll see if I can find a solution that doesn't involve a popup, but right click to download may be gone for good. We need some solution that allows us to intermittently put captcha testing in ("Are you human?" testing), otherwise we have some people downloading many (incredibly many) files with automated scripts. If we had right click to download, you wouldn't know whether you were going to get the file or just our web page asking you to validate the download.

The purpose of the popup was to make it so that you don't have to navigate away from the page to download the file.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
... We need some solution that allows us to intermittently put captcha testing in ("Are you human?" testing), otherwise we have some people downloading many (incredibly many) files with automated scripts.

Making file downloads available only to those who register seems a reasonable alternative. Most automated scripts won't go that extra mile. Same as limiting pictures sizes unless you're logged in, which you do now. I've never understood why file grabs aren't limited to registered users? After all, you have to be a registered user in order to put the darned file on the BGG in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:
dakarp wrote:
... We need some solution that allows us to intermittently put captcha testing in ("Are you human?" testing), otherwise we have some people downloading many (incredibly many) files with automated scripts.

Making file downloads available only to those who register seems a reasonable alternative. Most automated scripts won't go that extra mile. Same as limiting pictures sizes unless you're logged in, which you do now. I've never understood why file grabs aren't limited to registered users? After all, you have to be a registered user in order to put the darned file on the BGG in the first place.

This seems like a very sensible alternative to reducing the functionality for file downloading. Plus it gives people more reason to set up an account which is a good thing. Hopefully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Making things worse/harder for your current supporters (more complicated ways to access data, view/organize information, report bugs) is not the way to go. It makes them former supporters, which leads to former advertisers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Downloads not working for me on either of my two PC's, one running Firefox with NoScript (and BGG set as trusted) and the other running a stock Firefox with no special add-ons (the captcha failed to execute properly).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann SoFrankly
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugh_G_Rection wrote:
ScottE wrote:
And clicking on the link doesn't do anything.

It may be a popup blocker. Try holding down Ctrl while clicking the link.

That didn't work for me with IE7.

I agree with Diane. You should prevent non-registered users from downloading, not us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not being able to right-click and save, now means PDF files open in my browser, which sucks and slows things down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
The bandwidth usage is becoming a problem - we'll need to find a solution... we don't really plan for 100k plus bandwidth fees a year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
The bandwidth usage is becoming a problem - we'll need to find a solution... we don't really plan for 100k plus bandwidth fees a year.

Well, every time I open a new game page, I'm getting 15 new images that I don't want. Every time I scroll through Recent Additions, I am getting hundreds of images that I don't want. I think not forcing users to receive images is one place to save bandwidth. Looking at the HTML for the front page alone, I can see that cleaning it up could save a ton (it's full of whitespace and embedded styles). I assume you compress at the HTTP level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
Aldie wrote:

Well, every time I open a new game page, I'm getting 15 new images that I don't want. Every time I scroll through Recent Additions, I am getting hundreds of images that I don't want. I think not forcing users to receive images is one place to save bandwidth. Looking at the HTML for the front page alone, I can see that cleaning it up could save a ton (it's full of whitespace and embedded styles). I assume you compress at the HTTP level.

Sure - savings can be gotten elsewhere, but we're experiencing spiders from everywhere that are downloading the entire file system - that needs to be stopped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Limit file downloads to so many files per hour per IP from non-supporters? This isn't some zombie attack is it? It's just single machines walking the system?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the "must have an account" idea. I don't allow anonymous access to any of my sites.

Limiting the downloads to so many per hour seems good also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Altoona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
I really like the "must have an account" idea. I don't allow anonymous access to any of my sites.

Limiting the downloads to so many per hour seems good also.

I am not thrilled with this because I send BGG player aids to newbie players. I guess I could download and send them, but then BGG misses out on the free advertising.

Keeping in mind that I do not have the big picture of what is going on, can you block IP addresses that are causing problems?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugh_G_Rection wrote:
Not being able to right-click and save, now means PDF files open in my browser, which sucks and slows things down.

Seconded. File downloads are now half-useless.

$100k bandwidth fees are obviously not good, but there's got to be a better way to limit downloads (if they are indeed the problem). Limit it to 50MB/IP/hour or something like that.

Or set up a robots.txt file that excludes the files.bgg.com URL along with a honeypot to catch robots that ignore the robots.txt file.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Downloads do not work at all in SeaMonkey (Mozilla.) There is no way to get any files.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmb
I'm working on a solution now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
I'm working on a solution now.
It seems to be working again, even the right click download, which I am happy about! Although I expect you are still working on it. Thank you for your work, Daniel!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmb
I reverted the changes briefly in order to be able to work on it uninterrupted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Hi Daniel,

What many people do with file downloads is the following.

d10-1 Download the file in my browser (often in a separate tab frame).

d10-2 Do I like this file enough to 'download it'?

d10-3 Yes - Then download the file to my computer this time (the 2nd download you are seeing in some cases).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.