United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine taught me RTtA this weekend, and it seemed pretty nifty. There's one ambiguity in the rulebook that we couldn't figure out, though. I don't own the game, I couldn't figure it out at the table then, and I can't seem to find any rulebook or clarification online.

There are five kinds of goods that you collect. If you collect one good, you get the least valuable good. If you collect two goods, you collect one each of the two least valuable goods, and so on. So if you collect 5 goods, you collect one of every good.

Great, no problem so far. But what if you collect 6 goods in a turn? The rules say that you go from top to bottom. Does that mean you collect the top good twice, or do you start the wraparound from the second-highest good?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Nearing Weathertop
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to have to read the rules again. We were wrapping from the bottom (sixth good is wood, seventh is stone, etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dorrell
England
Darwen
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you go back to the bottom and start with the wood then stone etc.

Remember that the development that gives you extra stone only gives it once per turn - so you don't get it again on the wrap around,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, we totally played it wrong, then. I could swear that the rules were clear about wrapping around from the top and going back to the bottom... but it could have been my poor addled brain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl von Laudermann
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
IngredientX wrote:
Hmm, we totally played it wrong, then. I could swear that the rules were clear about wrapping around from the top and going back to the bottom... but it could have been my poor addled brain.

In general, the term "wrap around" refers to going off of one edge and continuing in the same direction from the opposite edge. The way you were playing it is more of a "u-turn" or "reverse".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karlvonl wrote:
In general, the term "wrap around" refers to going off of one edge and continuing in the same direction from the opposite edge. The way you were playing it is more of a "u-turn" or "reverse".

Oh geez Karl, is common sense all you have to bring to the discussion?

Seriously, I can't believe that we interpreted "wrap around" incorrectly. I blame my parents for not letting me play enough Pac-Man as a kid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
edubvidal
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Gil, you are playing right.

From the rules: "If you earned more than 5 goods this turn, continue adding goods one at a time, wrapping around from the top row (Spearheads) to the bottom row (Wood) and proceeding upwards again."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edubvidal wrote:
Gil, you are playing right.

From the rules: "If you earned more than 5 goods this turn, continue adding goods one at a time, wrapping around from the top row (Spearheads) to the bottom row (Wood) and proceeding upwards again."

I'm pretty sure it means that after adding a good to the top row, you continue again from the bottom.
It's kind of ambiguous though, so I can see how you might draw a different conclusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the "proceeding upwards" bit that we missed, I think. Still, the wording is quite ambiguous. We can't be the only people who missed this rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Leacock
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
designer
mb
In case there's any remaining doubt, if you collect 6 or more goods, begin collecting your goods at the bottom (wood) and collect upwards (towards spearheads).

1: wood
2: stone
3: pottery
4: cloth
5: spearhead
6: wood (again)
7: stone (again)
and so on.

- Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jean
Canada
Québec City
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played it worng all this time! blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Matt!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hrabálek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Matt, we played it wrong all the time. For us non-Americans this was very difficult to undestand and we got it wrong. I am making a Czech translation now, so I will use your comment there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been teaching people wrong for months! Good thing Ric mentioned it on my podcast link for the last show. I'll add a correction in the next 'cast (and teach it correctly at Gamex 2009 this weekend...)

The key clause that leads to confusion is the part about 'wrap around'. I cannot see why that was used as opposed to: "If you collect more than 5 goods on a turn, start from the bottom of the next column" (or something like that).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Leacock
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
designer
mb
This rule has been clarified in the rules for the second printing. Thanks for your feedback.

- Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikki Ebright
United States
Centennial
Colorado (CO)
flag msg tools
badge
New Avatar! So much Excite! Photo credit to Debbie Ohi, who is Awesome!
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris Dorrell wrote:
Remember that the development that gives you extra stone only gives it once per turn - so you don't get it again on the wrap around,

I'm glad you mentioned that. I collected 7 goods today (first time I ever got that many, lol) and I think I collected my bonus twice. I'll have to watch for that in the future. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.