Kevin McDermott
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
I was hoping to get some input from the masses. My partner and I have created what we feel is a solid board game in the vein of Space Hulk. An Action Point based system revolving around Marines and Aliens.

BORING!!!! BEEN DONE BEFORE!!!! you say. True, but our unique game play is the following. As the game plays, each side aquires points for kills. These points can be spent to upgrade troops and equipment, the alien player actually spends points to have his aliens gestate into higher life forms ( and thus have stronger attacks ). Sound fun? I hope you think so...

We think the game play mechanic is solid but are missing several things to get the game published. Our thought was to test the mechanic with the masses. We would publish via a website a set of rules to play the game but would be converting an existing games components so our game can be played. So it would basically be...." OUR GAME....a SPACE HULK TOTAL CONVERSION "

Any cards or pieces needed for the game we would offer for download on the website as a print and play game for free. We would tell players in the rules what pieces from the original game they need and what they represent. How do you guys feel about stuff like this? Is this a good idea or a bad idea? Understand we would not be looking to publish the game with another companies IP or pieces. Just wanting to relase our rules and make it playable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hicham Vanborm
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure not to mention Space Hulk too often. Games Workshop is an evil company when it comes to protecting their copy right.
I might be way off here, but just wanted to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man Unmasked
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
www.inkshares.com/books/the-professional-corpse
badge
My Prepping to Publish Happy Dance
mbmbmbmbmb
Rather than that, simply say, "If you have hall or room tiles with squared floors preferably with one inch squares (as are found in many game aids such as Dungeon Tiles or games such as space hulk), these can act as your board. You may also use these free, but less attractive hall pieces available here. Further, you can used the 2D tokens here, but for added enjoyment, feel free to use any alien or space warrior minis you have. Ideally, your space warriors would would have (describe what Space Hulk minis carry without saying that's what it is, like "heavy armor and pistols") to allow you to differentiate blah blah blah."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McDermott
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Didn't GW offer Space Hulk as free game at one point that you could download from their website? That seems kinda silly for them to go rancid if they offered the game as a download.

Anyway, thanks for the input guys, I will take both posts under advisement and see what I can come up. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nominative_use

Short version: you can say that you can play the game using Space Hulk pieces, you can't use any of their logos etc, or imply that it's official.

So you might want to call it something like "[your game] - an unofficial conversion for Space Hulk".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kloth
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apeloverage wrote:
You might want to read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nominative_use

Short version: you can say that you can play the game using Space Hulk pieces, you can't use any of their logos etc, or imply that it's official.

So you might want to call it something like "[your game] - an unofficial conversion for Space Hulk".

I've done that with a GW game (Blood Bowl) and still gotten a cease and desist. I ignored it (become I'm crazy), and nothing came of it. But still, GW is an evil company.

I'd love to see your improvements to Space Hulk. I'm sure you could keep improving it until you felt confident it could stand on it's own legs without the space hulk reference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Niezelski
United States
Seymour
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to be careful with that "upgrade points for kills" system. It might create a severe runaway leader problem (think the old Half Life mod Counterstrike). Upgrading can create a lot of interesting decisions, but it can be very difficult to balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DuckAndCower wrote:
You might want to be careful with that "upgrade points for kills" system. It might create a severe runaway leader problem (think the old Half Life mod Counterstrike). Upgrading can create a lot of interesting decisions, but it can be very difficult to balance.

Amen. I'd actually probably be more interested in this going the OTHER WAY: The other side gets upgrade options the more you're kicking their butt. If you're scoring some kind of victory points, you're still coming out ahead, but they get an edge to try and salvage things for their side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.