Chile
Santiago
RM
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone

I was checking some geeklist, and some games have so many that I thought it would be nice to have them classified. For example:

* Useful - game relates, with useful information (comments about the game itself, why you should like it or not, etc)
* Funny
* Sessions
* Other
* etc

I hope this is taken into consideration.

Ketty
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Doubtful it would get very far. We already have trade geek lists and that's pretty cut and dried. But once you start self-defining geek lists as funny ("You think THAT's funny?") or "Useful" you're opening a huge can of worms.

For instance, geek lists about nostalgia (life nostalgia, not game nostalgia) are very useful to me. So are geek lists about rearing children (even if not one mention of kid games is made). On the other hand, geek lists about the 7th Battle of Greater Gibralter's 150th anniversary are completely out of the realm of either "useful" or "funny."

I can't see this ever working.

Now, if you limit it to easily-definable categories: Trades, Game Sessions, Personal Favorite Games Lists, and General, it may work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy that would be true if I'm just "searching geeklists". But the suggestion seems to relate to looking at "geeklists including a particular game", as listed on the game page.

Given I'm looking at, say, Nexus Ops, I may well be interested in seeing even an approximate segregation of:
- Humour lists
- Meta session report lists
- Trade lists
- Personal Experiences lists (includes favourites and nostalgia et al)
- General Info / Game Discussion lists
- Image lists
- Not Related To Game Entry (eg lists that use the game entry as a placeholder).

The categories need not and should not be mutually exclusive. If a categorisation system used tags, and a standard multiple-choice set were made available for the author to select when filling in the header of a geeklist, then it would still be open to other users to add further tags. Sure, a lot of lists are multi-purpose and would appear in multiple categories, but a huge number of lists are purely whimsical uses of the geeklist format for fun and community. If you're looking for genuine discussion about a game and feel some of it may be in geeklists, at the moment there's a lot of guff to wade through. Indeed for this reason the "geeklists including this game" module on the game page is currently pretty much useless for most games.

Indeed such a categorisation would even help you, if you were launching off a particular game instead of searching / browsing lists in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a long time I wished I could categorize the GeekLists into three categories:

- Game-related.
- Marketplace.
- Metaphorical (or non-Game-related).

This would handle most of the things for me. When I'm looking for Geeklists that let me know more about the game, I don't want to see the math trades involving the game. I don't want to see lists that use the game's name as a metaphor describing something else, or that talk about the book/movie the game is based on, etc.

This would cut out many of the lists displayed. Once I could weed out those two major "noise" factors, the titles of the remaining GeekLists would tend to let me know if it's worth peeking into them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.