♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Wow, I'm a little off my game this month. I should have asked this question yesterday, but between the snow, schoolwork, and having a lazy, lazy Sunday, I totally forgot about it.

I finished Stephen King's Just After Sunset this month, and it is, as usual, a mixed bag. There are some incredibly creepy stories ("N." stands out as the best, I think), some touchingly creepy stories ("The Things They Left Behind" is a unique look at post-9/11), and then a whole lot of weirdness. Those two stories are definitely worth reading, but if you can save yourself from reading "In a Tight Spot," then you're better off. Trust me.

What about y'all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Hinkle
United States
Twinsburg
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
Watchmen by Alan Moore (again)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gone for Soldiers - Jeff Shaara

Meh. Having devoured the first two in the three-part series on WWII and then the single To The Last Man (WWI) I went straight for Gone for Soldiers detailing the Mexican War. Unfortunately, as I go back in time I'm less interested in the characters (Grant, Lee, Scott, ...)

I can't wait for the third book in the WWII series to come out but this one...meh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars Republic Commando - True Colors - Yeah, I'm a huge Star Wars nerd. It's been a LONG time since I've read the other Republic Commando books, so it took a while for me to get the various characters straight. Accordingly, I wasn't really "into" this as much as I usually am, and it took a long time to slog through it. :/

The Algebraist - More SF. I'm only ~150 pages into this one, but it seems pretty interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
KSensei wrote:

That took you the whole month?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Winds of War:
Quote:
If you read historical fiction more for the former than the latter, have interest in the political and military objectives behind WWII, and want to visit all of the landmark sites of the front half of the war (Berlin, Warsaw, London, Moscow, Oahu), you should find most of this book fascinating.

beyond bullet points :
Quote:
If you are giving presentations beyond simple status reports, I consider this book mandatory reading. However, if you work in an environment with rigid corporate guidelines, it may only make your job all the more depressing.

Issues #43-#75 of 100 Bullets, aka:

100 Bullets: Samurai
100 Bullets: The Hard Way
100 Bullets: Strychnine Lives
100 Bullets: Decayed

Liking the series less as it goes on. The Hard Way was easily my favorite of the four.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave Barry Stuck in Cyberspace
The Luftwaffe Over Germany: Defense of the Reich
German Jet Aces of World War 2
Panzer Aces 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Stilwell and the American Experience in China

D&D Monsters Manual 4e
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Poisoned Chalice and Crowner's Quest by Bernard Knight. Historical mystery stories set in Devon in the late 12th century.

Three Doors To Death by Rex Stout. Nero Wolfe.

A Wicked Brew by Susanna Gregory. Historical mystery set in a Cambridge college in the mid 14th century

Dissolution by C.J. Sansom. Historical mystery about a hunchback lawyer set in 1537.

Eclipse 2 by Jonathan Strahan. Original SF anthology.

Mind Over Ship by David Marusek. New SF novel which is a good solid followup to his debut novel Counting Heads.

The Gone Away World by Nick Harkaway. SF(ish) novel. A rather rambling narrative but it does have ninjas and mime-artists. At times it is very funny but on the whole it is too long. Not bad for a debut novel though.

Spirit: Princess Of Bois Dormant by Gwyneth Jones. A new space-opera novel from Gwyneth Jones. It is deliberately modelled on The Count Of Monte Cristo. A very strong work indeed.

Aberystwyth Mon Amour by Malcolm Pryce. A sort of comic noir thriller. Imagine if Raymond Chandler had set his stories in Aberystwyth (a small Welsh town) instead of in LA, in a Wales which is politically independent, and an Aber which is run (in the criminal sense) by a cabal of druids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I read:

The Ghost Brigades
- John Scalzi
The Last Colony - John Scalzi

Trying to finish up the series this month. Great mix of Rogue Trooper and Forever war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
Shake Hands With the Devil (Lt. Gen. Romeo Dallaire)
Surprised by Hope (NT Wright)
Dune
Dune Messiah
The Screwtape Letters
The Hunt for Red October
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss - A light-hearted discussion of nit-picky punctuation and grammar. Not very good, but quick reading.

The Lives of Rocks by Rick Bass - A collection of short stories about nature. Some were better than others, but overall it was quite good.

Don't Sleep, There are Snakes by Daniel Everett - A linguist and missionary describes his experiences with a small Amazon tribe, and some of the unique aspects of their language. Interesting in parts, but not as fascinating as I had hoped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I read: Shackleton's Stowaway

It was good, but I wish I'd just read Shackleton's "South" (essentially the nonfiction version of the same story). I don't know a whole lot about the expedition, but whenever Stowaway conflicted with what little I did know, it kind of grated on me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Verkisto wrote:
KSensei wrote:

That took you the whole month?

Hey, there is a lot of decoding going on in that book. And once you get it solved there is all the ___________s to find!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
mb
Oh yeah, I forgot there was a puzzle in there. D'OH!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
ninja Underground--Haruki Murakami. Murakami's account of the Tokyo gas attacks. Chilling stuff...and unfortunately the very last Murakami I needed to have read them all. Now I must wait impatiently for the next book.
Fevre Dream--George R.R. Martin Pretty slick vampire book with a lot of insights into the old steamboat trade along the Mississippi.
The Misplaced Legion--Harry Turtledove. A friend recommended this series to me...interesting fantasy involving a Roman cohort magically teleported to another world. I'm still up in the air on this one...but intrigued enough to move to the next book in the series.
A World in Flames--Martin Kitchen. A concise history of WWII.
Just started: The Way of Shadows--Brent Weeks. This looks to be the series for those of us who used to play thieves/assassins in D&D. Got me hooked so far. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
I read World War Z, after hearing nerds talk about it for months. It was fun, but left me wanting something more. I did like the narrative conceit; very clever.

Then I read Life as We Knew It, a YA book about a girl and her family living after an asteroid knocks the moon out of its normal orbit. It was a good read, but pretty bleak.

Then I read a lot of comics, as usual. All I'm really remembering right now is Mary Perkins On Stage, an amazing strip that started in the '50s, about a Broadway actress. Terrific soap-opera adventure, with lotsa pretty girls. There are five volumes out so far in the reprint series, and I've read the first four. Gotta get a hold of the next one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Somewhere back in Jan I finished In Green's Jungles by Gene Wolfe. Gene Wolfe is probably my favorite author, but I find I really have to pay attention when I am reading him. So, I took a break for some lighter reading:

Moonfall by Jack McDevitt
Odyssey by Jack McDevitt
Cauldron by Jack McDevitt
Android's Dream by John Scalzi
and half of The Collected Stories of Vernor Vinge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Reread the first four Transmetropolitan trade paperbacks. Awesome (again).

Volume one of The Authority. Meh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
I solemnly swear that by the time you post this list for March I will have finished the final 202 pages of The Pillars of the Earth...maybe...I hope...we'll see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BLUSH: I read some chick lit vampire stories. blush The books that the HBO series "True Blood" is based upon. Otherwise known as the Charlaine Harris "Sookie Stackhouse/Southern Vampire Mysteries" series. I'm up to book 4.

Other than that, I've been reading and re-reading the German language versions of the first three Harry Potter books in an effort to improve my German.

(is there a way to limit the size of an external image?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kent Anderson, 'Sympathy for the Devil' - engaging, interesting look into the life of someone who wanted to be a warrior. The plot is fairly pedestrian, but the characters are interesting.

Greg Bear, 'Dead Lines' - gets creepy in a hurry, but gets pretty predictable and ends rather weakly. Actually, it so closely follows the Hollywood horror formula that I'd almost bet that it was written solely in the hopes of being optioned. Or maybe I'm just being cynical.

Greg Benford 'Artifact' - I started in on this one last Friday, so technically in Feb. So far its interesting and moving along nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly textbooks, but for entertainment I read Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett and some short stories by HP Lovecraft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Morse
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
http://atroublewithwords.com/
mbmbmbmbmb

Finished Map of Bones by James Rollins. 6/10. Better than I expected it to be, but still falling into the realm of 'trashy adventure novel.'

The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler. 7/10. Good, but tedious.

Watchmen by Alan Moore. Twice. I'd never read it before, and as soon as I finished it, I went right back to page 1 and started over. 9/10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.