Peter Appleton
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like a rip off to me...you're paying $30 for the exact same maps as were included in the base game (so I don't get why it is worthy of being called "an expansion").

The only benefits I can see is being able to play the massive scenario in the Designer Series book and slightly better compatibility with the Normandy expansion.

Now if they included new maps and scenarios I would be interested...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to it as well, and will likely order two packs. After DotF came out, I was blown away by the map art, and lamented the fact that the initial maps didn't look quite as good. Once I saw the same artist would be doing Normandy, I was hoping they would offer an upgrade.

Great game, and I'm also looking forward to whatever the "big" expansion will be later this year, or early next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spaz Devaux
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
the problem is that even if we got that stuff, we still miss some 5 or 6 sherman for the big scenario (2 vs 2)..
anyway TOI rule!
TOI is good but i would also like an expansion to fullfill the designer series book 1, i would like to have some operation night cards, and operation cards for the new models (brazilian half track, halftrack with a 75mm gun, etc..)
Talking of the eastern front expansion i would say i am sure they will launch the pacific expansion first for they will see americans in action.. lol
But i will wait for that..
I would like to see numerous US tank (pershing or m-36) since they are the biggest US model to saw action in europe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So is the map pack going to have additional sets of cards or extra troops? The scenario says it requires two decks of everything in addition to the two sets of boards required. It seems okay in terms of initial setup troops, but there are also a ton of reinforcements. My worry would be that people would get the map expansion thinking it would allow them to play 2 on 2, and then it be missing some of the necessary components to fully play it. Does anyone know for sure that it comes with the stuff needed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spaz Devaux
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
im feeling exactly the same
i think you will have to shuffle back the cards, you should not count on FFG for the cards..
and as I said, Im just worried about the missing shermans.. maybe they will suggest to use some m10 instead..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Levasseur
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, before I read this post I really wanted the pack. I was holding it in my hands at the store yesterday but told myself I could wait a bit and I'm glad I did. To answer one of the previous question, no, there are no cards included, only mapboards and hexes. I don't get the point of getting the same mapboards as in the original game... we can't even do the 2 on 2 scenario because it requires 2 sets of cards and minis etc. If the maps would have been different, I would have gladly bought them. But now I feel I can't do anything more with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spaz Devaux
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
well let's rectify
you can play the 2 on 2 scenario
just have to shuffle back the two decks, and also, you will notice you have all pieces (minis) to play, exept you will miss some (5-6) shermans for rerinforcements, if you do not LOSE any from the start (pretty rare case..)
so enjoy!!
thx for the hint, i will buy mine tonite

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Appleton
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the comparison shots I still reckon this is a fool's purchase (particularly as we have no guarentee the art style won't change again in the future).

Sorry FFG - if you want me money you'll have to produce something subtantially different from what I've already paid for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spaz Devaux
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
it is sure you dont need two copies of toi, only that pack, we played the scenario, shuffled back the cards, added my shermans that were destroyed inplay for my reinforcements,, everything is fine lets buy!! I agree with you, i dont have any issue to support a company i like! lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I purchased two copies of the base game of ToI when it first came out. So, from my reading in this thread it seems that this first map expansion pack dodn't give me anything, am I correct?

However, the artworl style has been upgraded in the ToI expansion packs. They map boards will look different next to my original ToI base game map boards. So, the only reason to pick up this new map boards only "expansion" is to actually replace all of my map boards. Do I understand this correctly?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion does include hex and multi-hex tile terrain/structure overlays as well as the maps. For its dimensions I think it's the heaviest non-lead-soldier wargame-related product I've ever seen.

I have a bunch of nice painted 1:144 tank minis that have been sold for a year or two at Wal-marts in individual plastic boxes for $2: German Pz IIIs (some in Panzer Gray, some in Sand), Pz IVs, Panthers, Jagdpanthers, Tigers (I and II, plus Jagdtiger), StuG IVs, a Brummbar, a Kraus-Maffei halftrack prime mover, Shermans (welded-hull 75s, some in camouflage, some OD), M18 TDs and M7 Priests. They go for $2 apiece (some were on clearance for a buck one time). The plastic boxes, inverted with the bottom serving as a lid, are good for storing counters.

These fit well in the ToI hexes and look great, and the offer near-unlimited expandability beyond the miniatures included in the box and expansions. Unfortunately I've seen no halftrack APCs and no British stuff yet, but these little vehicles seem to follow after the release of 1:35 pre-painted and assembled tanks and vehicles that I've seen in various places as scaled-down versions, so I'm hoping to see a Czech-built 38T, Hetzer, Matilda II and Grant/Lee and halftracks down the road, if retailers continue to import the line long enough.

I figure that if nothing else, the original boards can be used for "night" scenarios and, if necessary, one-half of a large layout using both sets. A turn or two of gameplay and the different printing style won't even be noticeable.

I appreciate the offer of these components. I'd rather have the option to buy than no option at all.

On another subject related to comments above about future expansions, I do remember reading, when ToI was first announced as "coming," that a U.S. Marines-Japanese module was mentioned, while an Eastern Front module was not (at that time). I'm sure that at some point the Eastern Front will be represented--I'm guessing that it will start with a big-box self-contained game just like ToI itself--but I hope the Marines and Japanese do appear at least as a module similar to the Desert expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.