Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Crowder
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen this come up in previous versions and I'm curious how A&A50 (which I've not yet played) addresses it, if at all:

I designate my carrier as my fighter's (only possible) landing location; the carrier will have to move in non-combat to provide this.

Unfortunately, my fighter is destroyed in combat.

Am I still obligated to move the carrier to the designated position, or can I forego that order now that my fighter has been destroyed and not move my carrier / move it elsewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the fighter is destroyed, you can do anything you like with the carrier in noncombat movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wodan wodan
msg tools
Its fun, you can have Carrier Group send all its Fighters to certain death, then on noncombat phase you can land a bunch of recently produced Fighters onto the Carrier from 4 away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wodan46 wrote:
Its fun, you can have Carrier Group send all its Fighters to certain death, then on noncombat phase you can land a bunch of recently produced Fighters onto the Carrier from 4 away.

Not according to the AA50 rules:

Quote:
An air unit that moves in this phase must reserve part of its move value for the Noncombat Move phase, at which point it must return to a safe landing spot using its remaining move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Henderson
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the fighter has been destroyed it has no remaining move. The rule quoted above is therefore irrelevant. Krieghund's answer is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that by "certain death" Wodan meant a "risky mission" that has no reasonable chance of success, such as sending two fighters against four cruisers. By the odds, the fighters won't survive, but they will probably do some damage. Risky missions are perfectly legal as long as there is a possibility, no matter how slight, that the fighters can land safely.

You must always plan on all of your fighters surviving, no matter what the odds, when planning any mission. If they do survive, you must carry out any planned noncombat carrier moves to pick them up. However, if your fighters don't survive, you're not required to carry out those carrier moves.

In contrast, "suicide missions" are illegal. A suicide mission is defined as an attack from which there is absolutely no chance to recover the fighters. An example would be moving the fighters their full movement to the sea zone when there are no carriers in range to move to pick them in noncombat movement. Even if they survive the battle, they will die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Mulder
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Krieghund wrote:
If the fighter is destroyed, you can do anything you like with the carrier in noncombat movement.

This is correct.

wodan46 wrote:

I think by "certain death" Wodan meant a battle that can't – or at the very least, won't realistically – be won. Sending aircraft into a battle zone from which they cannot possibly land safely is clearly against the rules. The AC must be available to be moved during noncombat movement for the fighters, but if no fighters survive to the point of needing an AC on which to land then the AC can do whatever else it desires.

This tactic can be used by plan – I've seen it done successfully – but if your fighters happen to survive unexpectedly then you must move you carrier to support them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Crowder
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Thanks; I've gone through the rules and found exactly what it says about this:

"If you declared that a carrier will move during the Noncombat Move phase to provide a safe landing zone for a fighter moved in the Combat Move phase, you must follow through and move the carrier to its planned location in the Noncombat Move phase unless the fighter has landed safely elsewhere or has been destroyed before then." (pg 26. under Air Units)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fitt
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
You could also use this rule to send FTR into a larger fleet battle with the intention of taking the FTR as the 1st 2 casaulties, so you can avoid moving the AC (CV) and then fly 2 other FTR to land on it. FTR are cheaaper than cruisers and twice as fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.