Popular Tags: [View All]
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

So what did you Netflix in February? Or what DVDs did you rent/purchase and watch?

We rented:

WALL-E -- this was a great little movie! I loved it!

Docor Who: Genesis of the Daleks -- my first Dr. Who. This was way too long and needed to be edited. It was 6 episodes that could have been made into 3. A good plot, though.

Deadwood: Season 3: Disc 2 -- I'm loving Deadwood. The characters and their interactions are great.

Forbidden Zone -- I didn't watch it, Jeff did. Ask him what he thought.

Jabberwocky -- we're only part way through it. Good so far.

MST3K: The Wild Rebels -- this was a real stinker. It was hard for the guys to do much with it because it was so bad. One thing going for it was that you weren't guessing where they were going with the plot -- it would take hard lefts all the time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:

Deadwood: Season 3: Disc 2 -- I'm loving Deadwood. The characters and their interactions are great.
!

thumbsup

Make sure you also watch Rome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

It's in the queue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
amwiles wrote:

!

thumbsup

Cant agree with that more, I own both seasons, SUPERB! Also get Band of Brothers, another superb HBO series.

Does Instant Watch count? If so I have alot LOL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
It looks like we just watched Mansfield Park this month.

No, that wasn't my pick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nasty McHaggis
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I'm pouring all of my points in sarcasm.
badge
Box next to hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
A History of Britain: Disc 2
Eddie Izzard: Definite Article
Battlestar Galactica: Season 1: Disc 4
Battlestar Galactica: Season 1: Disc 3
Eddie Izzard: Definite Article
Shelley Duvall Faerie Tale Theater: Disc 1
A History of Britain: Disc 1
One Night Stand: Louis CK
Battlestar Galactica: Season 1: Disc 2
Battlestar Galactica: The Miniseries
Peter and the Wolf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
Does Instant Watch count? If so I have alot LOL.

Why not?

Verkisto wrote:

No, that wasn't my pick.

Which one? I watched the one on PBS last year; it wasn't bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
A Man for All Seasons Wow, just wow! "...but for Wales."

The Wire: Season 1: Disc 2 Better.

Road to Perdition The only stinker in the movie was the kid actor. He was acting. I like it when the actors don't stumble over the footlights. I think if they had cast Master Thespian in the role the film would have been a titch better.

The Wire: Season 1: Disc 1 Good.

Clerks 2
A great sequel to the original. Granted Kevin Smith "movies" aren't actually movies, IMHO, but old-timey rope-a-dope dialogue floods set to celluloid. Still it was fun.

Orgazmo Mmmm... man ass.

House on Haunted Hill Rented the wrong movie. This is silly fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
We should friend each other over there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Actual DVD:
Grandma's Boy
Mr. Woodcock
Semi-Pro
Hot Rod

Instant Watch:
Emperor's New School Season 1
The Whitest Kids U Know Season 1
Mythbusters 1
Mission Accomplished
An American Carol
The Office Special Part 1 and 2 (Watching Again LOL)
Korean War Stories
Meet Bill
Katt Williams: The Pimp Chronicles Part 1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nasty McHaggis
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I'm pouring all of my points in sarcasm.
badge
Box next to hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:
We should friend each other over there!

Good idea! I'm Longbow there as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Longbow wrote:
A History of Britain: Disc 2
A History of Britain: Disc 1

What did you think? I love that series! I just watched some again the other night. Good stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gladiator 4/5
The Warriors 3/5
The Day of the Jackal 3/5
Get Carter 4/5
Traitor 3/5
American Gangster 4/5
Sahara 4/5
Patriot Games 4/5
Clear and Present Danger 4/5
The Bank Job 1/5
Blade Runner 2/5

We just reactivated it after a several month lull. That's how it goes around here. Revisiting a lot of stuff I haven't seen in ~10 years. Gladiator was better than I remembered. Blade Runner was borderline intolerable, especially the voice-over narration. Sahara is a hilarious buddy-comedy send-up of Clive Cussler's books. Traitor is worth it for Don Cheadle's performance but the rest of the movie is trying extremely hard to be "relevant" and falls flat on it's face. Get Carter is excellent early 70s gritty crime. The Day of the Jackal is better than the Bruce Willis remake but meanders a bit over 2 1/2 hours. And The Warriors... has to be seen to be believed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Nothing. I hulued/torrentsed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendrick Martin
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm currently in the middle of the Futurama show, just having started season 4.

Also this month -

A Clockwork Orange: My sister warned me this movie gave her nightmares. I, however, loved this movie. It's kinda indescrible how great this movie is, but I do give it a thumbs up.

History of the World Part I: I've been trying to catch up on older comedies and this one was apart of that. Not entirely impressed, but it did have its funny moments. Thumbs neutral.

Kite Runner:Having heard a lot about this movie, I finally gave it a go. A very serious movie that provoked thought. Thumbs plus.

Vicky Cristina Barcelona: I've also started a quest to see everything that won an Oscar this year. While I'm in love with Penelope Cruz(don't tell my wife) this movie over all didn't do it for me. I did enjoy Javier Bardem in a non-serial-killer role. Thumbs neutral.

Man on Wire: This movie.....ignited a sense of adventure in me. For anyone out there I highly recommend this documentary on the man who walked a tight rope between the WTC twin towers. Two thumbs plus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thee Insidius Doktor Glaze & His Sidekick Donut Boy with the Amazing Monkeytime Dancers Ooh!
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I_have_heard_the_mermaids_singing,_each_to_each. I_do_not_think_that_they_will_sing_to_me... We_have_lingered_in_the_chambers_of_the_sea By_sea_girls_wreathed_with_seaweed_red_and_brown Till_human_voices_wake_us,_and_we_drown
mbmbmbmbmb
My kinda Chit Chat! Let's see... Feb was a huge netflix month for me. Despite being uber-busy, getting back into a game group, and moving two friends into new apartments, I got a ton of movies in. I guess breaking up with the recent girlfriend opened up my calendar a bit, but even then I have no excuse for seeing this many flicks:

The Harder They Come - This cult phenom stars a young Jimmy Cliff as a poor thug-cum-Reggae-star. As for script and acting, look elsewhere. Amateur and shallow, though probably no worse than much of the 'urban rebel in the slums' dreck that's been churned out in the last 15 years. But as a snapshot of 70's Kingston, wow. The sights and people and the clothes are amazing. They managed to get the Maytals and Leslie Kong and tons of other legends to appear in the film.

Dinner at Eight, Camille, It Happened One Night, Grand Hotel, Holiday - My mom came to Brooklyn for the mid-winter break to see her granddaughter, so I hauled out the olde-timey classics. A lot of these are fun, and despite wide gaps in time there is a ton of overlap in the casts of these. George Cukor and MGM had some deep talent pools and recycled their big names, so there's lots of the Barrymore brothers and Garbo here. Dinner at Eight was especially outstanding.

Scanners & The Fly - Holy crap Cronenberg is GOD. Scanners is for fanboys only and I can look past its warts. But everyone who can stomach horror must see The Fly, Goldblum is awesome and the effects rule.

Zack & Miri Make a Prn0 - Some of the Apatow crew collaborate with Kevin Smith, results pretty much what you'd expect.

American Valor - Documentary that interviews recipients of the Medal of Honor, really makes you remember vets and hear them in their own words.

In Bruges - a retelling of Steinbeck, decent but nothing to write home about. Typical oddball details to add a quirky indie/edgy vibe, but ultimately not enough substance to carry it as either a crime thriller nor a indie drama.

Choke - Outside of Anjelica Houston, this one didn't do a ton for me. Somehow it just didn't quite gel, I should have been shocked or saddened or depressed, but the script didn't quite draw me in as it should have. I expect the book was better.

Religulous - meh, Bill Maher grinds the axe, gets a few funny moments. The two gay muslim activists in Amsterdam were memorable, but picking on zealots is just too easy, IMHO.

Trust - Amazingly low-budget, indie romance from Hal Hartley. Discs are OOP but you can stream it and watch it on-demand for free. So many classic lines and great moments. True gem. Ooh, and look for a young Carlotta Soprano.

Ghost in the Shell - It's a post-Akira anime. Cyberpunk is a weak weak film genre, and it is better than The Matrix (low bar, I know) but it doesn't age well. Falls into the all-too-common anime catagory of 'what a great start but why did they end it on a weak pseudo-philosophical-metaphysical cop-out' thing.

Donnie Brasco - Decent, I rather like the portrayal of the mob being squeezed out of lucrative schemes and scrabbling for scraps in the late 70's. It didn't impress me a ton, but it was entertaining for what it was. Pacino was especially great here, and stood out depite having done similar roles before and after this one.

The Railway Children - BBC kids drama for my daughter. Very good, shows hardship of the old days and kids are fascinated by that. Richard Attenborough is a very old kind gentleman, so he has his work cut out him playing one here in this 2000 re-make. One of the best kids movies I've been in ages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
amwiles wrote:
Verkisto wrote:

No, that wasn't my pick.

Which one? I watched the one on PBS last year; it wasn't bad.

This one. It had some interesting moments, especially near the end as the director included some "fourth wall" moments, and it held my interest, as much as a movie based on a Jane Austen novel can. I was surfing the Internet during much of the movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thee Insidius Doktor Glaze & His Sidekick Donut Boy with the Amazing Monkeytime Dancers Ooh!
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I_have_heard_the_mermaids_singing,_each_to_each. I_do_not_think_that_they_will_sing_to_me... We_have_lingered_in_the_chambers_of_the_sea By_sea_girls_wreathed_with_seaweed_red_and_brown Till_human_voices_wake_us,_and_we_drown
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
... Blade Runner was borderline intolerable, especially the voice-over narration... ... And The Warriors... has to be seen to be believed.

You sir, have no soul. Those are two of the greatest pieces of cinema ever to put to celluloid. Sure Warriors was filmed on the cheap, but both of those are visual masterpieces. And both have so many well-edited, perfect movie moments that stay with you long after the lights come back on.

*tink tink tink*

"... Warriors, come out to plaaaa-aay!"

*tink tink tink*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We watched only 1 Netflix movie last month. Whoops.

Clerks 2 - It was dopey and awkward with terrible acting, but there were moments of great comedy and otherwise an enjoyable film. In other words, it's a Kevin Smith flick.

The wife particularly enjoyed Jason Mewes's mangina, especially since she didn't realize it was out of Silence of the Lambs (she had only seen edited-for-TV cuts of that).

JohnRayJr wrote:

Blade Runner 2/5

Blade Runner was borderline intolerable, especially the voice-over narration.

Why didn't you get Blade Runner: The Final Cut? No voice over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:

Orgazmo Mmmm... man ass.

Favorite line: "Now I don't want to sound like a queer or nothin', but I think Depeche Mode's a pretty sweet band!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
Instant Queue watches:

The Bank Dick
Trying to make a W.C. Fields fan out of The Wife. Still trying...

Jazz: The Gift
From the Ken Burns documentary series. Good stuff.

The Life of Mammals: "Opportunists"
The Life of Mammals: "Meat Eaters"
I love mammals!

Monkey Business
Watched for the umpteenth time. I'm a dedicated Marxist.

Car Wash
Classic black film. Makes working at a car wash look like a lot of fun!

Bad Religion: The Riot
D.O.A.: Smash the State
Punk rock!

Dark Days
Neat documentary about folks who live in the underground tunnels of NYC.

Jack Benny Coll.: Danny Thomas/McGuire...
The Jack Benny program!

Xanadu
Good lord, this was terrible. One of The Wife's childhood favorites.

Across the Universe
Easily as bad as Xanadu, but without Gene Kelly. We bailed after a half-hour or so.

Morrissey: Who Put the "M" in Manchester
Swoon!

The Music Man
A musical so good, it gave me 76 tromboners.

The Muppets Take Manhattan
Not as good as Muppet Movie, but then, what is?

DVD watches:

Louisiana Hayride
I thought it was gonna be a bunch of performances from, as the box touted, George Jones, Hank Williams, Kitty Wells, etc. Instead, it was a decent one-hour documentary on the seminal country program. Not bad, but I woulda liked to see more musical numbers.

Young @ Heart
I loved this documentary about a chorus of elderly folks singing Ramones and Coldplay and what-not. But when you follow a bunch of 80-90 year olds over a month or two, someone's gonna die. Sad.

Billy the Kid
Another wonderful documentary; this one's about a kid, named Billy. He's possessed of: an awkward mien; unseemly preoccupations; an awesome mom; a huge, ungainly heart and brain. This one still has me thinking about it.

28 Days Later
I was underwhelmed.

Saturday Night Live: Season 1: Disc 2
If you like Robert Klein and Lily Tomlin, you're in luck! SNL hadn't found its feet, yet, here. My favorite bit was some musical numbers by Loudon Wainwright. That guy was freaky, in a good way.

Talk to Me
A biopic about Petey Green, a radio DJ and TV host from Washington DC back in the '60s/'70s. This guy was the guy, man. We were inspired to watch this after seeing a straight-up documentary about him. Though Don Cheadle does a great job, we liked the doc better. Petey was pretty darn inimitable.

10,000 B.C.
Wow, this was terrible. Only watched about ten minutes before figuring out that it was not the droid I was looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
joebelanger wrote:
House on Haunted Hill Rented the wrong movie. This is silly fun.

What was the right movie? Tod Browning's The Old Dark House? I hope so, 'cos that movie was dope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holmes! wrote:
The Life of Mammals: "Opportunists"
The Life of Mammals: "Meat Eaters"
I love mammals!

Monkey Business
Watched for the umpteenth time. I'm a dedicated Marxist.

thumbsup

Wish we could watch the Instant Queue. Don't have an Intel Mac, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
JohnRayJr wrote:

Blade Runner 2/5

Blade Runner was borderline intolerable, especially the voice-over narration.

Why didn't you get Blade Runner: The Final Cut? No voice over.

Not a bad idea. Usually I stick with theatrical cuts, but in this case I can see it being a major improvement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dr glaze et al wrote:
JohnRayJr wrote:
... Blade Runner was borderline intolerable, especially the voice-over narration... ... And The Warriors... has to be seen to be believed.

You sir, have no soul. Those are two of the greatest pieces of cinema ever to put to celluloid. Sure Warriors was filmed on the cheap, but both of those are visual masterpieces. And both have so many well-edited, perfect movie moments that stay with you long after the lights come back on.

*tink tink tink*

"... Warriors, come out to plaaaa-aay!"

*tink tink tink*

laugh

It's definitely a good line. And I actually like The Warriors, I'm just not a fanatic. The first time I saw it (a few years ago) was with someone who could basically quote the whole movie from memory... and did, while we were watching it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.