Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: flgs [+] [View All]
Anthony Sr
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious. Does your local FLGS sell games at the Box price or do they sell below list?

Here its pretty much "list" there is an out of the way place that has a flat 10% off everything. but not worth the gas.

edit we do have a place that has a annual 20% off the whole store and huge clearance in the back for 50% +. and free hot dogs & pop (all you can eat) & door prizes the whole day whole day. I mark it on my calender.
That includes all the role playing & board games, comics, Manga. and other cool stuff you didn't know you wanted till you saw it there. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Simcoe (Norfolk)
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
Rust monsters: separating the wheat from the chaff since 1976.
mbmbmbmbmb
jwoodall04 wrote:
Mine is box price, which is why I never buy anything from there.

What kind of non-price related perks do they offer? Free demos, store copies, open gaming areas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Lovelace
United States
Amsterdam
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
all here are retail!! though every now and again one of them has a buy one get one half off deal... if used properly this tends to get prices similar to online IF you pay shipping online. if you can get an order up to $75 or $100 then online prices murder the FLGS price... not to mention the selection st that perticular store isnt the best.. in understand the overhead a retail store has but they could be much more competitive being as how online prices of the games i purchase are just about 1/2 price!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My local game store isn't much of a game store unless you're into CCGs, Warhammer, or Axis and Allies. I've been there exactly one time, when I bought Ticket to Ride for $50. I imagine they only had it because it's a popular gateway game (though not really a gateway to the games they sell) and has more "mainstream" appeal. They didn't know that the Switzerland expansion is compatible with the USA base game, to give you an idea of how much they care about Ticket to Ride and other Eurogames there.

I do owe them my gratitude though. I didn't even know the store existed until I noticed it while taking an alternate route home from work that day. That evening a friend came to our house and told us about this great game that they had recently played. We found it on TRU's website, so we went to the local TRU and found that they didn't have it. On the way back my friend asked "do you have any board game stores around here?" The store I had seen earlier popped into my head. Fortunately they had it, and that is what got me into (good) board gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My FLGS is http://boardgamerevolution.com

They sell at about 30 percent off. If you are a member of the frequent buyer club you get a little more taken off.

FRED games don't get discounted, however.

They seem to be successfully combining and online presence with a small bricks and mortar presence. Actually, they have two stores now. It is run by pleasant game geeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xiang Ling Chan
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only FLGS i know of in my fine country sells stuff at list price which is ridiculous. But they're friendly though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
craniac wrote:
My FLGS is http://boardgamerevolution.com

They sell at about 30 percent off. If you are a member of the frequent buyer club you get a little more taken off.

FRED games don't get discounted, however.

They seem to be successfully combining and online presence with a small bricks and mortar presence. Actually, they have two stores now. It is run by pleasant game geeks.

Hey, mine is the same! I go to the Salt Lake store pretty much every week (especially since they're now having game nights on Tuesdays), and they're close to my workplace. I've always preferred shopping in-store rather than online, but online's prices are better. Now I get two beneifts in one convenient package!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Winterhalter
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ours out here is List, but offers a play area roughly the same size as the retail area, has a phenomenal selection, and has between 5-10 tournaments for different board games, card games, and miniatures games each week, each of which offer store credit for a win.

They also host regular weekly "league" miniatures gaming, open boardgaming, and open CCG gaming evenings.

So, while it's expensive to buy there, I do try to buy games there to help support the community they've built.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
One FLGS sells at list. They're also in a very high commercial district, and can't really afford to discount. However, their tournaments have no entry fees, and it's convenient to get to.

A second sells at list, but offers store credit as prizes for their numerous tournaments (using the entry fees as the tourney prizes).

A third sells at list, but has an membership program ($25 a year) that gives a 10% discount on game purchases, 25% off comics, and offers an annual reward based on your volume of purchases.

EDIT: About 20 years ago, there was a store out here that offerd 10% off the top on all purchases. They didn't last 18 months. Sometimes, you need more than cheap prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The one I work at sells at list price, though we always have clearance and other sales. I don't know how a brick and mortar store can stay in business without selling at list price unless they're the only one in a huge radius or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe mine usually sells at the box/list price, but there are exceptions (clearance sales). The great thing about the store is that they have about eight boardgame nights per month, which are all free -- lots of space to play games in a nice atmosphere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ned Leffingwell
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My FLGS sells games for the MSRP. He does have a twice-a-year sale were games are 30% off. I always buy a game from him when the price is the same as an online place. I also buy tons of comics from him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
Sobriquet wrote:
jwoodall04 wrote:

What kind of non-price related perks do they offer? Free demos, store copies, open gaming areas?

Mine is box price. They don't really do game demos or have store copies, and the only open gaming areas they have are limited to miniature based gaming (Monsterocalypse and the like). I like browsing so I'll buy every once in a while, but only because they are very close to where I live.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MSRP. Some small discount for belonging to a local gamers club. No sales that I've seen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
banyan wrote:
The one I work at sells at list price, though we always have clearance and other sales. I don't know how a brick and mortar store can stay in business without selling at list price unless they're the only one in a huge radius or something.

They're only open Mon, Fri, and Sat, noon-7pm, and then Tuesday night for game nights.

There is another game store down the street, but they seem to focus a little more on CCGs and Warhammer stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My FLGS (Underhill's Games) sells everything at list. But the area in the store for playing games is about 75% of the floor space, and they also has over 100 games available for demoing in the "games library" within the store.

The atmosphere, the knowledge of the staff, and the fact that the owner is a good friend, makes my FLGS the only place that I buy games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Manning
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
designer
err... I like boardgames!?!
badge
D'oh! I bought overtext even though I have nothing interesting to say.
mbmbmbmbmb
My LGS isn't F. They sell stuff at a markup of between 33% and 50% over what the online reatilers charge (which is reasonable). To be fair, Adeliade, Australia (where I live) is smallish, and there's not much demand, but I can't justify paying those prices, especially since they don't offer demos, game nights, or even a community bulletin board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iken Owens
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My LGS charges above MSRP on his games. Plus he has now instituted a $5 cover to come and play on game night. That's why I don't shop there and some moral problems I have with the owners behavior.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
krazygit wrote:
My LGS charges above MSRP on his games. Plus he has now instituted a $5 cover to come and play on game night. That's why I don't shop there and some moral problems I have with the owners behavior.

As I noticed you intentionally left off the "F" in "FLGS".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teri Zevallos
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 3 FLGS (2 are comics with BG) the other in its entirely sells Boardgames. All sell them at retail. All offer room to play games and a decent game library.

I buy from them because i believe in supporting your local stores, especially during this hard times.

One of the FLGS offers that after your 10th purchased they average them and issue credit towards your next purchase. I love that!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine is kind of full retail price.

They charge full retail price, but then every quarter year, they sum up how much you spent the previous quarter and you get 15% of that as immediate store credit. So if you buy games regularly from the place (as I do) then it basically works out to getting the games 15% below retail price.

Depending on the game, that discount puts it right about in line with the price from an online dealer + shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two FLGS's. They both sell at full MSRP.

One has two huge game rooms, one for die-hard lead pushers (think Napoleonics, etc.), the other usually full of kids with binders of MtG. The store has been around quite a while, and has quite a bit in stock. Employees know very little, if anything, about board games. They are typically interested in MtG and D&D. Anything beyond that, and you're on your own.

The second, newer FLGS is a much smaller location. Not much in stock (they've only been open 12 mos. or so), and two 8' tables for gaming. Employees are friendly, play board games on at least a weekly basis, and are more than willing to help make recommendations and chat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Simcoe (Norfolk)
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
Rust monsters: separating the wheat from the chaff since 1976.
mbmbmbmbmb
ze_stom wrote:
Sobriquet wrote:
jwoodall04 wrote:

Mine is box price. They don't really do game demos or have store copies, and the only open gaming areas they have are limited to miniature based gaming (Monsterocalypse and the like). I like browsing so I'll buy every once in a while, but only because they are very close to where I live.

That's too bad that they don't go above and beyond. I don't blame you if you go elsewhere.

Though perhaps if you were a Habs fan instead of an Avs fan, karma would throw you a bone and a great FLGS would open up near you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
List price. However the guy that owns the place is friendly and he knows his stuff. The best part about the store is that I can constantly find Out of Print stuff there. He has a large game room, but I've never actually used it. When I need to find something that is Out of Print I always take the 20 minute ride over there. Also if I'm purchasing small things like a card game or expansion I will usually go there as well.

I've found that shipping online kills single item purchases. If I'm shopping online I tend to wait until I can afford a big order and then I do that. Otherwise I just head to my local guy. I do my part to help keep him in business. Recently one of my other FLGS closed up shop so I make sure to spread my spending evenly between online and locally. I would hate to lose the option to leisurely peruse a gamestore...its a simple pleasure, that I certainly don't take for granted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got kind of screwed over at my FLGS. Or nonF nonL GS, since its a hour away.
I grabbed a copy of Descent with no marked price off the shelf, I had been in about two weeks prior and asked about the price and they said 60 bucks, which I didn't mind, I can get it cheaper online, but I wanted to support my FLGS. I grabbed a thing of greenstuff off the wall, handed him the game, the stuff and my credit card and said hold on a minute. I walked away and waffled if my wife would kill me for spending 70 bucks, contemplated if I really wanted Descent, or the Warhammer Intro set, and the meaning of life. All while my fried stood in my place and watched me so noone would take my spot.
Well I get back, and say, ok how much will the total be, and he says 98 dollars. and I dropped my jaw and said "What?!" and he said, "yeah, they just raised the price on descent", and I was like.. "Who did?" and he said "The manufacturer", and I said, "hmmmmm, ok, Nevermind. I will pick it up some other time, let me get the warhammer starter."
And he goes.
"Sorry. I already rang it up and processed the credit card."

I was very upset. He didn't want to refund it just on the basis of "I thought it was too expensive". I argued that I never told him to ring it up, and in fact I had told him to hold on a minute.
So I grabbed my stuff and took off. If the store wasn't 1:20 away I would have gone and returned it later. Then my brother in law wanted to play it, so we ended up opening it.
So I guess to answer you first question. My UFULGS sells crap either at MSRP, or Jacked way the F up.
And they are shifty to boot.
grrrrr.
Maybe I should start going to Fort Wayne. Any gamers there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.