Nick Bos
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Made with Strange Eons

For those who don't know her, read the Thing on the Doorstep =)

I couldn't find a nice title for her, so at the moment she is just called Asenath. Any suggestions what to put under her name?

I also had some troubles with the proper wording for her skill.
She is not a very powerful Herald, nor did I want her to be.

In the books, the bodies she takes over find themselves waking up in strange locations, after she lost control of them. I wanted this to be her focus. Investigators have to make a willcheck in order to keep from being taken over (and having to have an encounter in the woods, which is generally bad).

Critique (good and bad) is very welcome, since I seek to improve it (as it, especially the wording) is far from perfect right now.

Thanks a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a more annoying ability than you think, since it affects every investigator every turn. In our group, Will is often sacrificed for another point or two of Fight. Asenath, as written, would leave a lot of people in the Woods all game.

Before we copy-edit the Herald, here's some conceptual ideas:

First -- Asenath is a very good idea for a Herald. That story is one of Lovecraft's scariest, and she's one of the eeriest "villains" as well.

That being said, I think there are scarier ways to represent her power. In the story, the "PC" (narrator) had to watch his friend be taken over, and try to save him. Perhaps that should be the focus, instead of just annoying investigators by moving them to an unstable location (with all the rules implications that brings).

Have you considered having Asenath temporarily remove Allies from the deck? Find a condition that's not quite every turn, and when that condition is met, one random Ally is removed from the deck and set aside in the Woods. That Ally is not gone from the game permanently, but is unavailable until he is rescued. Set up a difficult skill check or condition to restore the Ally.

Alternatively -- have Asenath bring the Blight deck into play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Peters
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
It's time to go Full Chort.
badge
‎"NO FATE BUT THE NARRATIVES WE IMPOSE ON LIFE'S RANDOM CHAOS TO DISTRACT OURSELVES FROM OUR EXISTENTIAL PLIGHT"
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't Asenath already an ally? Granted, I thought it was weird when I found her there, but...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jennings
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yes, in Kingsport Horror. But that shouldn't discourage anyone from trying a different way to represent her in the game.

Being an ally may seem odd at first blush, but there is more to "her" inclusion than meets the eye.

Cheers,
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.