Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working on a game where one of the central mechanics will be based on a seller awarding projects to the lowest bidder (price paid upon completion of project). All games I've looked at involve rewarding the highest bidder. Are there any games out there where being the lowest bidder is the goal?

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, "High Society" is one that pops to mind.

But in your game you aren't bidding on what you pay, but what you get, so it is a different dynamic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
To pick a familiar game, in Catan, if you've got an excess stone, you're asking for high bids; but if you need a stone, you're asking, "Who will fulfill a contract to deliver me one stone at the least cost?"

In Container, each player prices goods from his factory and in distribution. Of course, rational players buy the least expensive goods. It's somewhat slow motion, but effectively it's such an auction.

(If the thought behind the question was, "Is this relatively unusual?" then, yes. If the thought was, "Is this patentable?" do not go there. First, I'm pretty sure not; second, it's a kiss off to any chance of a publisher looking at your game. Seriously,)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:

(If the thought behind the question was, "Is this relatively unusual?" then, yes.

Yes, that was one thought behind the question. As you guys have pointed out, you can technically reverse a lot of supply/demand dynamics and have a similar mechanic. In my game, players would bid on projects, and the owner of those projects would have a goal of paying the least amount to get their project done. Players have to be careful not to be too aggressive in their bids, or they may be stuck with a bad contract that will lose them money.

Tall_Walt wrote:

"Is this patentable?" do not go there. First, I'm pretty sure not; second, it's a kiss off to any chance of a publisher looking at your game. Seriously,)

That wasn't my question. Definitely not patentable!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Auf Achse is sort of like that. You bid for contracts, then receive a pre-determined price upon completion. So, effectively, as you bid up, you're reducing the profit you're willing to accept.

The trick is that you pay your bid right away, but only collect the reward upon completion. This eliminates the need to record or remember how much you bid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Barnes
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's an Icehouse game called Undercut that's really good and is predominantly JUST that mechanic. Give it a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
mb
Though it's probably not quite what you're thinking of, Age of Renaissance has a really neat system where you decide how many expansion tokens to buy each turn, with the person who buys the least getting the first turn (which is a big advantage in many ways).

Again, it's not primarily a bidding mechanic, but the end result is pretty similar as you look to 'bid' slightly lower than other players so that you get a comparable number of tokens but the advantage of moving before them.

I mention it as an example of a game that provides different bonuses depending on whether or not you are the highest or the lowest bidder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Saunders
United States
Gardner
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out my game. Mow 'Em Down: Walker Mowers Edition This is exactly how my game works. It's a ton of fun, especially when you try to guess how other players are going to bid. Contact me if you want to talk more about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Salzwedel
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, your mechanic/theme combo may be unique. The closest I know of is auction games like Bohnanza where you are more likely to trade with the person who offers you the least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mjacobsca wrote:
I'm working on a game where one of the central mechanics will be based on a seller awarding projects to the lowest bidder (price paid upon completion of project). All games I've looked at involve rewarding the highest bidder. Are there any games out there where being the lowest bidder is the goal?

Michael

In Zahltag, the central theme is awarding building contracts to the lowest bidder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Manager is another game where the lowest bid wins, although here higher bids can also win as long as they are close to lower bids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
If it helps, the process is called "call for tenders","tendering" and "call for bids". So a project is "put out for tender", or a company/imdividual might "call for bids" on being provided goods or services.

("Putting up for tender" may be as above or similar to "putting up goods for a secret auction".)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pinook wrote:
If it helps, the process is called "call for tenders","tendering" and "call for bids". So a project is "put out for tender", or a company/imdividual might "call for bids" on being provided goods or services.

I believe this varies quite a bit nationally. In the US, RFQs are requested: Request For Quotation (of a price).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
Pinook wrote:

I believe this varies quite a bit nationally. In the US, RFQs are requested: Request For Quotation (of a price).
It is often called an RFQ, but when you put in your bid it is still often called "tendering your bid." It is also generally called "competitive bidding"; ie, "construction of the new gymnasium was put out for competitive bidding."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik van der Weide
Netherlands
Ede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turn the Tide has a nice mechanic that works for both high and low bidders. There are two water level cards all players bid on, and only the two highest bidders receive them. However, as most water levels are unwanted, bidding low is a very important way to avoid raising your water level. Of course, players will try to bid high on water level cards that would lower their current water level.
This way, in different situations it's different whether you want to bid high or low.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:
It is often called an RFQ, but when you put in your bid it is still often called "tendering your bid." It is also generally called "competitive bidding"; ie, "construction of the new gymnasium was put out for competitive bidding."

You're quite right. I should have been more explicit that it would not be a good term to use to a lay audience in the US. In the US as a noun, "tender" probably first brings to mind the dreaded chicken fast food, next legal tender ($), then a submarine (or other) tender, and only then a price quotation. As a verb, it might bring to mind a tender of resignation (quitting a job) over a tender of bid. However, in the Commonwealth (at least in Oz and the UK), the bidding meanings are primary.

Sources:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tender%5B4%5D through
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tender%5B7%5D
http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/tender_2?view=uk
http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/tender_3?view=uk
Collins Gem Australian English Dictionary (dead tree version)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Schoko & Co contracts go to the lowest bidder.

Business Strategy might have that for sales too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt tolman
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Look for my first published game, Undermining! Coming soon from Z-man games.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My game used this mechanic, but I recently removed it :). I like the idea and hope to put it into another game down the line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.