Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Let's say you have a long range gunman on a level 2 hill, followed by a level 1 hill, flat terrain, then a 1 hill again, and then flat terrain and then another flat terrain... Do you have LOS into the last 2 flat terrains?

2. Rifles/SMG can use their fire to lay smoke where they stand?

3. The hasty defense icon shows a 15 on the bottom right.. what is this for?

4. When using artillery, putting smoke down on all 7 hexes is an alternative to a strike?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Sibley
United Kingdom
Ramsgate
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. LOS to the 2nd flat terrain. The 2nd 1 hill provides a blind hex behind it. IF the 2nd hill is still part of the first hill then you have LOS to both flat terrain as own hill does not provide blind hex.

2. If the scenario allows them to fire Smoke then yes same hex only. Read 13.1

3. The 15 is the defence of the Hasty defence. When you fire at a unit in a hasty defence you roll to hit the defence first. If you hit the defence is destroyed and removed, but still provides its benifit for this one attack.

4. You must declare that the Strike will be Smoke in the planning phase of the previous turn. But yes you can opt for Smoke.

Hope these answers help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DJ
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
1. Let's say you have a long range gunman on a level 2 hill, followed by a level 1 hill, flat terrain, then a 1 hill again, and then flat terrain and then another flat terrain... Do you have LOS into the last 2 flat terrains?

Check rule 11.3 Elevation and Line of Sight (LOS) - Please refer to Figure 21 in your rule book and look at the examples given in the rule.

It basically states (Note: I added some clarity to it as well since I didn't post the Figure 21 since I assume you have the rule book handy) - Unit A on L0 (ground level) can fire at higher hexes B (Level 1) and D (Level 2), but not at hex C (which is directly behind and at the same level as hex B) or any hexes beyond hex D.

The same goes in reverse (Firing down hill); a unit can fire at a target on an equal level hex, but not thru and beyond it at a target on a lower level hex. So a unit on a Level 1 hex C has clear LOS to a Level 1 hex B, but not to the lower level L0 hex A.

shadow9d9 wrote:
2. Rifles/SMG can use their fire to lay smoke where they stand?

Check rule 13.1 Unit Smoke Capability

Please note a few things like which units and when units are allowed or are not allowed to fire smoke it depends on the scenario parameters.

That is to say... Mortars that are 8cm or larger, off-board artillery, and pioneers may fire smoke unless disallowed by the firefight. Other units may not fire smoke unless permitted by the firefight.

To answer your question the rule states...

Most units that have smoke capability can target hexes within the same range as their normal attacks, including long range. Exceptions include rifle and SMG units, which may only lay smoke in their own hexes, and pioneer units, which may place smoke in their own hex or 1 hex away.

Again check the scenario to see if your Rifles and SMG units are allowed to use smoke in the first place.

shadow9d9 wrote:
3. The hasty defense icon shows a 15 on the bottom right.. what is this for?

See Rule 22.6 Fortification and Hindrance Destruction

The Red 15 on the hasty defense marker is it's own Defence Rating. It can be destroyed.

When attacking a hex with a hasty defense marker along with a unit in the same hex which is using the hasty defense. You would roll twice for the attack - Roll to attack the Hasty Defense itself (as it can be destroyed) Roll against the unit where by the Hasty Defence gives the unit in it a +1 Dice Modifier to the units own defence rating (IE: A german Rifle squad with a DR of 15 would now have a DR of 16). If the hasty defence is destroyed the unit still receives the +1 for that attack only.

shadow9d9 wrote:
4. When using artillery, putting smoke down on all 7 hexes is an alternative to a strike?

See rule 12.3 Off-Board Artillery (OBA)

It doesn't clearly state for "Smoke" what to do. But, the rule does state the mechanics behind OBA for Artillery and that you need to resolve for the 6 surrounding hexes. With that I would assume that's because of the blast from the High Explosive shell itself plus the schrapnel and fragments generated from it. With smoke, there is no such blast so I've been playing it as smoke only in the targeted Hex but not the surrounding hexes.

This rule needs to be written clearer IMHO.

Hope this helps
Cheers

Thanks![/q]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
69vette wrote:
See rule 12.3 Off-Board Artillery (OBA)

It doesn't clearly state for "Smoke" what to do.

13.1 Unit Smoke Capability
Off-board artillery smoke, which must be declared when targeting a hex, affects the target hex and six surrounding hexes, just like a normal attack.

This couldn't really be any clearer. I think you just missed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DJ
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ahhh read 12.3 for OBA missed that line in 13.1 thanks - my bad blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aaronsibley wrote:
4. You must declare that the Strike will be Smoke in the planning phase of the previous turn. But yes you can opt for Smoke.

Not quite true. You need to -decide- whether it is a normal attack or smoke attack during the planning phase, but you do not need to reveal which it is until the attack actually hits. So when you write down where your attack is, mark down what kind of attack it is. In many firefights, your opponent doesn't know whether you're sending in artillery or not, so having to tell your opponent that it's "smoke" would give that away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Sibley
United Kingdom
Ramsgate
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify my statement, maybe declare is not the right word you need to note it down what type of strike you are using and "declare" it at the time of strike.

Its not nice being called silly when one is trying to help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My apologies - meant no offense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if the first response and the 2nd response to number 1 are the same. Assuming levels 210100, can the last 2 0s be seen?

Aaron says the 2nd one. Is this 100% correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Smallwood
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
badge
TWO Equals in an "if" statement!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Odd that the rules say "Attack the hasty defense first, and even if you kill it the unit will still get the bonus this turn." Why not just say "Attack the unit first." Four words instead of a compound sentence and an exception.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.