Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Foos
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed a whole slew of people claiming that they just felt it's the time to sell this game because they don't play it anymore. What they're not telling you is that the buzz is (almost confirmed) it's being re done by games workshop and will be out by the end of the year. My advice is not to pay big bucks for this now as a new version will probably be better and have much better components (ala GW's years of experience in plastics since the original)

This from Bell of Lost Souls

Posted by bigred | Saturday, February 14, 2009 | blood angels, news/rumors, tyranids, warhammer 40k 75 Comments

We've heard tidbits and hints of rumors in the previous months, but multiple sources are now reporting that Space Hulk is returning this year.

No details as of yet regarding the game's scope, or contents, but keep your eye's peeled in Q3 2009.

~With any luck, we will see some of the newer fancy "quick build" plastic termys, stealers, and who knows what else. It has been almost 20 years since Space Hulk was first released in 1989. I hope we are lucky enough to have a new generation of gamers walk in the the footsteps of the Blood Angels Master Michaelus Raphael as he faces his ultimate test in the space hulk Sin of Damnation.

I have to go way back to recall any game that was as fast paced, awesomely fun, and stress inducing all at once. Technology has come a long way for GW in the last 20 years. Who knows what they could stuff into a 21st century Space Hulk if they really went all out. Have at it guys, and I'd love to hear of some of your finest Space Hulk memories.

http://belloflostsouls.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2009-...

about 2/3 of the way down the page
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the direct link to the blog entry:

http://belloflostsouls.blogspot.com/2009/02/rumors-space-hul...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
dfoos wrote:
a new version will probably be better and have much better components

Yet each new edition hasn't been all improvement.

It will have to be seen.

Especially the pricetag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
dfoos wrote:

It will have to be seen.

Especially the pricetag.

Yeah. I'm curious to see if this new edition, if it truly does make it onto the shelves, will include 2 squads of Terminators (priced at $50 per squad of 5 figures).

Some of us still prefer the original rules set over the revised edition that was produced. Just like how some like 1st/2nd Edition Talisman over the 3rd or 4th Editions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
If the Assault on Black Rock set is any indication, they can actually make Space Hulk for less than $100.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Yeah, YOU can await on "paying BIG Bucks" ONCE theirs were officially 'released'! I won't 'be'...shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Califano
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bet the game will run around $59.99 or so. I can't imagine it costing more. If they price it around $100, its not going to do very well as most people proably can't dump that kind of cash for a game. Heck, for that amount you probably could buy several other games for $100 and enjoy them more.

What I am really curious is if the tiles are going to be big enough to hold the new 40mm Terminator bases or are they going to keep the tiles the same size for 25mm bases.

Maybe they make a 3-D tile set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

It should be so simple too. An easy grand slam right outta the park. Keep the fine rules that were such a hit in the first place, and upgrade the components to a point that even the "old timers" can't help but want to buy in. Voila!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rumors are rumors. Hasn't a reprint of Up Front been rumored for about a decade now? Could be a ploy to get people to part with their cherished copy at a lower price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
Rumors are rumors. Hasn't a reprint of Up Front been rumored for about a decade now? Could be a ploy to get people to part with their cherished copy at a lower price.

I will gladly pay anybody $50 for their old copy in that case. I'll throw in an extra fiver for Deathwing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember the game being over AUD$100. And that was 20 years ago.

I really, really, really wish now I hadn't sold my old copy.

Sensational news.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Foos
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
dfoos wrote:

It will have to be seen.

Especially the pricetag.

Yeah. I'm curious to see if this new edition, if it truly does make it onto the shelves, will include 2 squads of Terminators (priced at $50 per squad of 5 figures).

Some of us still prefer the original rules set over the revised edition that was produced. Just like how some like 1st/2nd Edition Talisman over the 3rd or 4th Editions.

I would also not suggest buying 5 termys for 50 bucks when you can get 5 termys, a full tac squad with sgt, a captain, a dreadnought, 2 squads of boyz one combat squad of nobs, one orc leader and 3 def coptas for $19.00 more. (assault on blackrock)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drown
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
dfoos wrote:

It will have to be seen.

Especially the pricetag.

$60 and it will include cardboard stand ups, with no miniatures.

On a serious note, I like the second edition rules (I own both 1st and 2nd edition copies). Though I like the timed play rule from the 1st.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
dfoos wrote:

I would also not suggest buying 5 termys for 50 bucks when you can get 5 termys, a full tac squad with sgt, a captain, a dreadnought, 2 squads of boyz one combat squad of nobs, one orc leader and 3 def coptas for $19.00 more. (assault on blackrock)

But what if someone wants (or, in my case, needs) Close Assault Terminators? S.O.L.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BeatPosse wrote:
If the Assault on Black Rock set is any indication, they can actually make Space Hulk for less than $100.

There's a huge difference between 'Can; & 'Will'. This is GW remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Would
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Until we have an official announcement I do not believe GW will make a new Space Hulk. It goes against their marketing strategy and nothing I know of indicates a change of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Foos
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
dfoos wrote:

But what if someone wants (or, in my case, needs) Close Assault Terminators? S.O.L.

That's when I would suggest the weapons sprue on ebay. I outfitted five of the new termys into chaos for about an extra $6.00 or so in ebay ordered weapons, heads, and various spiky bits. I also did the same thing with the Dreadnought and got what I feel looks better and is much less expensive than the expensive metal Dread. I'm not being a fanboy here, I'm just saying that there are people getting a hundred bucks plus selling their old sets and it might be wise to wait and see what they come up with before shelling out that kind of money. I think alot of peeps would wait if they knew there was something new around the bend, so I am just making everyone aware of it so they can make an informed decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Kopena
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I think is quite possible is that---if something is actually produced!---it's a 40k module or starter pack rather than a boardgame. A starter box set that was like _Black Reach_ but instead included ten Terminators, blips, a mess of Genestealers, some plastic or card hulk walls & doors, and some additional rules (sort of like _Cities of Death_, but handling doors, blips, etc) would sell like crazy to the miniatures crowd. Still wouldn't be a boardgame (get out your rulers!), but makes a lot more sense from GW's previous statements, increase in the size of the Terminator bases, ready-to-go (awesome) _Black Reach_ Terminator models, etc. If they apply the same pricing logic as _Black Reach_ (sell cheaper than usual to get people hooked), it could definitely come in around the $50--70USD range, especially given that the _Black Reach_ Terminator models are already designed & in manufacturing.

On a different note, for those that haven't played, while Space Hulk is awesome, it's also severely dated. The tension is fantastic, but there aren't actually that many tactical options. Thirty years ago it was clearly out of this world, but nowadays there are definitely better (space) dungeon crawls on the market. Making a relevant boardgame update would require some severe changes, in particular to the tiles (most corridors are only 1 space wide, so you have very limited movement options).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
jkopena wrote:
. . . ---it's a 40k module or starter pack rather than a boardgame.

This is my guess as well. I've been predicting that it will be sold through their retail store channel and packaged in multiple modules.

$60 price tag? Are you kidding? Cosmic Encounter is costing more than that. My guess is $60 buys you the starter kit. With the full miniatures treatment applied this could be a $200+ purchase for dedicated players and in my opinion those that take the plunge will be happy with what they get for the money.

GW is not going to sell a game for less than a beat-up 20 year old copy goes for on eBay. They'd be crazy to.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bond
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jkopena wrote:
What I think is quite possible is that---if something is actually produced!---it's a 40k module or starter pack rather than a boardgame. A starter box set that was like _Black Reach_ but instead included ten Terminators, blips, a mess of Genestealers, some plastic or card hulk walls & doors, and some additional rules (sort of like _Cities of Death_, but handling doors, blips, etc) would sell like crazy to the miniatures crowd. Still wouldn't be a boardgame (get out your rulers!), but makes a lot more sense from GW's previous statements, increase in the size of the Terminator bases, ready-to-go (awesome) _Black Reach_ Terminator models, etc. If they apply the same pricing logic as _Black Reach_ (sell cheaper than usual to get people hooked), it could definitely come in around the $50--70USD range, especially given that the _Black Reach_ Terminator models are already designed & in manufacturing.

That would make sense, but I've heard that it's going to be standalone game rather than a direct 40K tie in (plus no 40K labels on the box).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Kopena
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
$60 price tag? Are you kidding? Cosmic Encounter is costing more than that. My guess is $60 buys you the starter kit. With the full miniatures treatment applied this could be a $200+ purchase for dedicated players and in my opinion those that take the plunge will be happy with what they get for the money.

You have to look at the _Black Reach_ and _Battle for Macragge_ starter sets as an example. If I remember correctly, _Black Reach_ contains something like $240 in miniatures, in addition to a complete rulebook (minus fluff, but still obviously worth at least ~$25), templates ($10 separately?), and some dice (including, importantly, a scatter die, which new players don't have just laying around), and an admittedly unimpressive starter guide. That's all for $60 retail, and the minis are awesome, totally on par with the normal boxes, just with no options (i.e., extra gun choices). _Macragge_ wasn't as good a deal and the minis not as good, but still pretty solid. Notably, it included some pretty good, larger terrain pieces.

Looking at _Black Reach_, you get a similar price point _Space Hulk_ module (not a starter set) by doing something like:

- Brochure becomes small pamphlet of special rules
- Keep one set of Terminators
- Replace Dreadnought & Captain with more Terminators
- Tac squad and Orks become Genestealers
- Defkoptas and Warboss become plastic door & wall bases
- Rulebook, templates, dice, etc all become thick card walls and doors

From a development perspective, you could also gain a lot by assuming people are buying _Black Reach_ first, switching to Orks rather than Genestealers (both are known, fluffwise, to inhabit many hulks), and having a cheaper or same price _Space Hulk_ module which includes another set of Terminators, maybe another fancy Orc unit, but mostly focuses on some special rules and a whole bunch of walls, doors, cryo units, computers, engines, etc, for some awesome space hulk terrain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will DeMorris
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not the minis I'm worried about. Both the "Battle for McCragge" and "Assault on Black Reach" proved that GW is capable and willing to put good miniatures in a game box. What I'm worried about is the rules. Will they stay true to the superior first edition rules? Specifically the use of a timer for the marine player's actions. Or will they go with some lame watered-down version of the rules closer to second edition.

-Will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
jkopena wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:

You have to look at the _Black Reach_ and _Battle for Macragge_ starter sets as an example. If I remember correctly, _Black Reach_ contains something like $240 in miniatures, in addition to a complete rulebook (minus fluff, but still obviously worth at least ~$25), templates ($10 separately?), and some dice (including, importantly, a scatter die, which new players don't have just laying around), and an admittedly unimpressive starter guide. That's all for $60 retail, and the minis are awesome, totally on par with the normal boxes, just with no options (i.e., extra gun choices). _Macragge_ wasn't as good a deal and the minis not as good, but still pretty solid. Notably, it included some pretty good, larger terrain pieces.

Looking at _Black Reach_, you get a similar price point _Space Hulk_ module (not a starter set) by doing something like:

- Brochure becomes small pamphlet of special rules
- Keep one set of Terminators
- Replace Dreadnought & Captain with more Terminators
- Tac squad and Orks become Genestealers
- Defkoptas and Warboss become plastic door & wall bases
- Rulebook, templates, dice, etc all become thick card walls and doors

From a development perspective, you could also gain a lot by assuming people are buying _Black Reach_ first, switching to Orks rather than Genestealers (both are known, fluffwise, to inhabit many hulks), and having a cheaper or same price _Space Hulk_ module which includes another set of Terminators, maybe another fancy Orc unit, but mostly focuses on some special rules and a whole bunch of walls, doors, cryo units, computers, engines, etc, for some awesome space hulk terrain.

A loss-leader for a much larger system, correct? Will Space Hulk support that level of complexity?

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bulwyf wrote:
It's not the minis I'm worried about. Both the "Battle for McCragge" and "Assault on Black Reach" proved that GW is capable and willing to put good miniatures in a game box. What I'm worried about is the rules. Will they stay true to the superior first edition rules? Specifically the use of a timer for the marine player's actions. Or will they go with some lame watered-down version of the rules closer to second edition.

-Will

As long as the new box is compatible with the old rules, I'll be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
A loss-leader for a much larger system, correct? Will Space Hulk support that level of complexity?

Space Hulk can be a loss leader for 40k. What if Space Hulk was Space Hulk, but included a little quick start guide to playing a skirmish between the same Termies and Nids included in the box, a la Warmachine battleboxes?

Bam... complete board game AND hook/loss leader/starter for 40k.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.