Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
The Overmind was First Player and took the 9-worker option, which comes with 2 hydras and a ling.

Tassadar went for the Warp Gate and 7 workers.

The galaxy looked like this:

A
/ \
O---V
\ /
T

A = Antiga Prime (2m,2g,1cp)
O = Overmind on Hydrax (2m,3g,1fly-cp,1fly-strategic)
V = Vyctor V (1g, 2cp)
T = Tassadar on Tarsonis (2m,2g,1cp)

Turn 1, the Overmind was worried about a rush, so he ran out to Antiga Prime and founded a new colony, built Air Defense and a hungry "vengance force" off his home, and dared the Toss to come to his gas area. The Toss declined to get Lurker Rushed on turn one.

Tassadar dispatched a Scouting Party and some warped-gate troops to Vyctor V, for a formidable defense of 2 Zealots and a Dragoon camped on the 2-conquest-point, which also boasted a new Protoss base. At the start of turn 3, the Overmind came in guns blazing, with two Zerglings, a Hydralisk, and a Lurker. They took the base, barely.

In the next battle for this hill, the Zerg defended with two Zerglings and their Lurker. The Protoss came in with Zeratul and two Zealots with leg warmers. The two Zerglings were deleted pre-combat, and the Lurker got triple teamed and destroyed. So much for Defense orders against the Protoss ground forces!

The Zerg split their forces. The Overmind itself would command a zergling & queen based invasion of the Protoss homeworld from Hydrax. Cerebrate Doggath would command a larger force and vie once more for Victor-Vs precious conquest points. Something went horribly wrong for the Protoss, and the Zerglings with surprisingly little work ate up all the Zealots, blew the Warp Gate, and burned the main.

The final battle took place on Vic-5. Zeratul would get cornered and hammered by an Ultralisk/Hydralisk team, and his two buddy Zealots would be assassinated by a Lurker. As that left the Protoss with zero bases, zero conquest points, and a lot of angry zerg to deal with, he conceded.
goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt K.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Interesting report. Good job!

I wonder if Warp Gate is viable on such small maps, though. You sacrifice economy (only 7 workers), make yourself more vulnerable to rush (two areas to defend instead of one), and you have most of the planets in range, anyway. I am not sure if those outweight the benefits.

As for Leg Enhancements, my friend tried a LE-based Zealot/Goon rush on me once (he played as Tassadar, I played as Kerrigan). He actually managed to uproot me from the main, but my counterattack obliterated his Warp Gate and killed two (AFAIR) Zealots he had left for protection. Since I had a build order and a lone Ling on my homeworld, I voluntarily destroyed my base (now occupied by 1 Dragoon and 1 Zealot that survived the assault on my main) and rebuilt it. At the same time I was completely securing the adjacent Paladino Belt with Lings and Queens, so that no Scouting Parties would interfere). I then eradicated his remaining forces and main before Stage II leadership cards had the chance to be played.
His crucial error was not expecting a vicious counter on his homeworld and assumig I would rather defend my main, and he paid dearly for this mistake.
Sorry for not-so-detailed description, but I played this game some time ago...

BTW, did you notice that the Cerebrate's name is misspelled on the card?
I am 100% sure it was meant to be Daggoth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Idolomantis diabolica
msg tools
MrWeasely wrote:
The Protoss came in with Zeratul and two Zealots with leg warmers. The two Zerglings were deleted pre-combat, and the Lurker got triple teamed and destroyed.
Only one "start of combat" ability can be used, Zeratul OR Legs, not both
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clarence
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But these 2 are consider passive ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bomholt
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
no they are "start of combat" abilities and so do not stack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calixtus Ashley Wee
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
I feel that they should though...what a pity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.