Subject: Baltar ruins everything rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darrick M
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Battlestar Galactica well over a week ago and have been DYING to play. I finally convinced one of my friends to come over and so he played along with my wife and myself. Explaining the rules to them was pretty boring and it pains me to know I'm gonna have to do it again when playing with others. Fortunately, the game itself played pretty smoothly, without as much going back to the rulebook as I had to when first playing Arkham Horror, for example.

My wife, Denise, won the roll so she picked first, going with one of her favorite characters, Gaius Baltar. My friend Mike went next and almost went with Tigh, but instead decided on Helo. Faced with a choice of a pilot or Galen, I opted for Starbuck.

Things were looking grim right off the bat as crisis cards continued to sap our morale, putting us somewhere near halfway down after only one jump. After the first jump, however, we spent a long while without having to worry about the Cylon fleet. Still, fuel was being used up and the population was slowly dropping. Fortunately, we had a small surplus of food.

Somewhere around 6 distance to Kobol, Denise/Baltar revealed herself as a Cylon and threw Helo in the brig. To make matters worse, she also revealed that the Quorum card she was holding onto was one that could have given us much-needed morale.

After Helo finally got out of the brig and we were trying to strategize as best we could, we made another jump to bring us to 8 distance, needing only one more jump to win the game. We went forward two on the track, but the crisis card that Baltar picked out made us slide back one. Our resources were mostly around 2-4 at this point. After population dropped to 2, we began losing hope, knowing that even if we made it to the next spot on the jump track, an early jump could lose 3 population and make us lose the game.

A cylon attack card was drawn, giving us even more problems to deal with as raiders closed in on civilian ships. Another crisis card would have brought the Centurion boarding party to the end of the track, but I used Starbuck's ability to draw a new one. Unfortunately, this new one activated the raiders, which promptly destroyed civilian ships and brought our population to 0.

We lost, and it was a damn close game. One more movement on the track and we could have risked an early jump. Two more and we could have won even if we lost one population.

I really like the skill check system, the unique abilities for the characters, and the tension as resources gradually dwindle. Mike enjoyed Helo's ability to reroll a check on his turn. He also liked nuking basestars. Denise didn't seem thrilled with being the Cylon at first, until she started kicking our butts. I only used my pilot ability once and we jumped before I could even do anything with it, sadly enough. For the rest of the game, I was too concerned with getting Helo out of the brig. I also became President (yes, as Starbuck!) and spent quite a bit of time collecting quorum cards hoping they would help. I ended up drawing the presidential pardon card -after- we finally got Helo out of the brig. Of course. -.-

It's an awesome game and I really hope to play it again soon. Much like Arkham Horror, I love the co-op gameplay as well as the grim atmosphere. Battlestar Galactica has that extra touch of deception that makes it that much better. I can't wait to play my first 5 or 6 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wood
United Kingdom
Little Chalfont
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Nice read.

There are two rules I think you got wrong:

1. Baltar's quorum card should have moved with the presidency
2. Reread Starbuck's ability. Neither action has to be anything to do with the viper she is flying.

V.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Job! I am currently obsessed with the Battlestar Galactica series. All my friends have watched all the shows and I always made fun of them....relentlessly. Then, my husband brings home this game....I was ready to puke; not him too I thought....But, after MUCH persuasion we watched the mini series. That was it, I was hooked. The show had me at Starbuck punching the drunken superior in the face!!! I love it!

Now, more than ever, I really, really want to play this game!!! It sounds so exciting. I'm sorry you lost...maybe next time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Volkazz wrote:
1. Baltar's quorum card should have moved with the presidency

Correct. For the OP:
Check page 19 of the rules, it mentions passing the title cards if someone reveals as a cylon.
Now see page 12 where it mentions that whoever holds the presidency title has the cards, note that it specifically refers to "this hand" of cards, i.e. the hand of cards passes around to whoever is the president.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrick M
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It says 'when I start my turn piloting a viper'. The first time I launched, we jumped before I could -start- my turn inside the Viper. By "my pilot ability", I guess I meant the hangar deck ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zoe79 wrote:
Great Job! I am currently obsessed with the Battlestar Galactica series. All my friends have watched all the shows and I always made fun of them....relentlessly. Then, my husband brings home this game....I was ready to puke; not him too I thought....But, after MUCH persuasion we watched the mini series. That was it, I was hooked. The show had me at Starbuck punching the drunken superior in the face!!! I love it!

Now, more than ever, I really, really want to play this game!!! It sounds so exciting. I'm sorry you lost...maybe next time!

Predictions:

1. You won't like Starbuck by the end of Season 3. (The show jumps the shark in that season, IMHO, with Starbuck taking the hardest character storyline hit.)

2. You will love the game. You'll be shouting "FRAKKIN TOASTER!!!" just like the rest of us.

p.s. I still say the first regular episode of the series "33" still may be the best hour of television I have ever watched.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
innocentsinner wrote:
Somewhere around 6 distance to Kobol, Denise/Baltar revealed herself as a Cylon and threw Helo in the brig. To make matters worse, she also revealed that the Quorum card she was holding onto was one that could have given us much-needed morale.
group-think various per people, but a few of my groups have brought up that explicitly telling everyone else what you have in your hand (in this caase, the hand quorum of cards) is against secrecy rules :shrug:

This passage from the rules may infer that.
Revealed Cylons: Revealed Cylon players must also
follow all rules of secrecy. They may not show their
hands to other players and may not say which Super
Crisis Card they have in their hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.