Rodrigo M. Corrêa
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
MG
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I like to play Caylus, but it seems a little too complex for my family and game group even tough we still playing it.

I am afraid here to buy Stone Age and get the same feeling of playing Caylus...

Another game that caught my attention is Kingsburg, it looks like very fun and interesting. And it is completly diferent for any game I already have.

So my doubts are:

Stone Age or Kingsburg? Which one is more fun for non gamers? What about the replayability of them?

Please help me guys...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree about Stone Age. And I don't see many similarities to Caylus.

Stone Age compares more to The Pillars of the Earth in my mind. But it would definitely be more new gamer friendly than Caylus or Pillars.

I love Stone Age. And if you're looking for a game which is more comparable to Caylus, Agricola is the best example which I can think of. That is more first-timer friendly than Caylus is in my experience. The cards help to make things easier to understand, and the theme is easier for newbs to latch onto.

But these are only my opinions and experiences, and I am sure that people will vehemently disagree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Ölmestig
Sweden
Halmstad
Halland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
athmok wrote:
Strictly on your question as to which one is better for non-gamers, I have to say Stone Age. I prefer Kingsburg over Stone Age, but if you are looking for a worker placement game that is new gamer friendly then Stone Age is a good choice.

While I agree of all that you say, Kingsburg is much easier to grasp than Caylus though. Both games has about the same replayability I think, which is okay, but not incredible high, since there are only a few strategies in both games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Kingsburg is great for non-gamers, too. It is quick to explain, but has enough going on to keep the interest. The first game will be slower as they read what all the buildings do, but everyone I've taught has caught on quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Maybe a poll could help to summarize the suggestions...

Poll
Should he go for Stone Age or Kingsburg?
Stone Age
Kingsburg
      43 answers
Poll created by Luke the Flaming

Oh, and I'd suggest Kingsburg, but on this subject I'm one of the most biased persons in the world...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Robinson
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Jack of All Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingsburg is quick to set up, quick to tear down, takes a few minutes to teach, and shocked me with how much fun it was. I demo'ed it at GenCon and instantly purchased a copy. I have yet to find anyone in the multitude of game groups I play in that doesn't like it.

With that said, Stone Age is actually on my purchase list thanks to recommendations here, but unfortunately I can't recommend it having not played it. I have heard it called "Agricola light" but it sounds like an over simplification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus, Pillars, and Stone Age all share some similarities. I would rank them in that order (Caylus > Pillars > Stone Age) in terms of what I would want to play and reverse that order if I were looking for something simple for newbies / non gamers. I haven't played Kingsburg nor am I likely to in the near future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with what's been said, so I will address the replayability issue: I think Stone Age has more, but I like both games. The dice element of both games changes the feel from Agricola for me.

Another dice game that you might consider, if you're looking for such, is To Court the King - it has some similarities to Yahtzee (you roll 4 of a kind or a full house to gain character cards).

I enjoy all three, but Stone Age is my favorite. It does have similarities to Pillars, but I don't feel the same exacting calculation I feel in Pillars or Agricola - I need some strategy, but I feel I have more leeway and I don't get completely blocked from the one good move I needed very often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lo Ma
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Stone Age is more accessible than kingsburg - I've seen players get frustrated trying to figure out the use of the different buildings/characters inKingsburg. But everyone seems to "get" Stone Age right away and have fun.

I'd say both games probably have equal replayability.

Another game you might want to consider which is very different from Caylus is Yspahan. It's got a boatload of dice, a bunch of cool wood camels, lots of wooden gold coins, bunches of little colored wood cubes, action cards, souks, and caravans - what's not to like! The game uses its theme well and the game components are fun with a lot of visual and tactile appeal. It's a fun tactical game that's accessible for all, and the gameplay is fast with little downtime. You have to deploy your resources to get those victory points. You have many meaningful options to take during your turn because of the unique mechanic for how the dice are used. As long as players don't agonize and take forever to make their choice of what to do, this is a totally fun and fast playing game. The game does involve luck, but not as much as you'd think. I'd say the luck factor is about on par with Stone Age and Kingsburg. Actually, I think Stone Age has a greater luck factor. Anyway, the luck that's there helps to level the playing field, so to speak, allowing casual gamers to better compete against experienced players, and keeps it all fun!

My family totally loves this game, so it gets played a lot. Yspahan is the game that convinced my board game relunctant spouse that there really is something fun to play beyond Backgammon!

Some folks will probably need to play half of a game before they "get" the mechanics - it takes some folks a while to understand the importance of the caravan and how they can use it. Stone Age is a game that people pretty much get the mechanics right away, and at the end of that first game, they'll understand the tactical strategy.

Anyway, I think Stone is sure bet after Caylus - very different feel and lots of fun. Then consider Yspahan for a completely different experience!

Oh and yeah, there's always [GameID-822], the premiere tile-laying game...

As to Agricola, we found it dry and very long... but everyone else seems to dig it... I wouldn;t think it would be a very good game for casual or newbie gamers though.

By the way, Caylus is my number one game, although my spouse will never play it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingsburg has been really great to teach for nongamers. It has become one of my girlfriend's favorites.

It takes 5 min to set up and about 10-15 min to teach. It takes just one full game to get the hang of everything. The board is set up so that you practically never need to reference the rulebook. It also plays really quickly (25-45 minutes with 2-3 players). Good stuff...one of my new favorites.

Plus Kingsburg has an expansion (Kingsburg: To Forge a Realm) that looks really awesome as well. Nice to know that you can expand upon an already excellent game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo M. Corrêa
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
MG
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone! Well, I think I will buy both eventually, but for now I will go with Stone Age. And wiil take a look at Yspahan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.