Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nolan St. Martin
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently I started painting the miniatures to my Doom boardgame, and as it turns out it looks like my skin is reacting (quite uncomfortably) to the paint that I'm using. Right now I'm just using regular acrylic craft paint (the kind you buy at dollar stores), and everything actually looked decent, but something in the paint isn't co-operating with my skin. That being said, I've never had a problem using my enamel model paints so I think I'm going to switch back to using them. However, I'm hoping to do an ink-wash over the figures, previously I was using my magic-wash (Future floorwax mix), but I don't want to waste it. Would this work ok with enamel paints? If not, any recommendations for washes with enamel paints?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be very reluctant to paint the "Doom" minis with enamels due to the flexibility of the plastic. In my experience, no matter what kind of surface preparation is used, enamels flake off when the miniature is "bent."

Since the "Doom" pieces are not completely rigid, this is a risk.

Also, many of my "Doom" pieces continued to "cure" after the box was opened. This has resulted in the larger circular bases warping, not to an unusable degree (though the creatures now have built-in "animation" and "rock" on the board) but enough to suggest that this plastic-drying process might also cause enamel paint to flake off.

Acrylics have properties of flexibility that enamels do not possess, and while I use enamels on metal wargame figures because of their durability, I would only use acrylics on flexible plastic figures.

Have you considered wearing rubber or latex gloves when painting with acrylics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nolan St. Martin
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did think about wearing gloves as an option but I've found that gloves tended to "get in the way" a bit and I can be a bit more cleaner with my painting without them. I know exactly what you mean about the plastic warping though. My cyberdemons are fine in my set, but 2 of 6 of my Hell Knights have this bending problem. I think I might end up getting some gloves and going that route then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
United States
San Ramon
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Buy better paint. Acrylics are water-based. They shouldn't be reacting with your skin like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Cleary
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mooninite wrote:
Buy better paint. Acrylics are water-based. They shouldn't be reacting with your skin like that.

Places like Michael's almost always have acrylic paint on sale for upwards of 50% off. These are good paints. The pigment used to make dollar store paint may actually have lead in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nolan St. Martin
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking I might head up to Michael's and just start a new paint kit from scratch. The other paints are my wife's that she uses for her crafts and she hasn't had any problems with them so they won't be going to waste. Michael's usually has 40-50% coupons in their flyers which should help a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Cleary
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shredda wrote:
I'm thinking I might head up to Michael's and just start a new paint kit from scratch. The other paints are my wife's that she uses for her crafts and she hasn't had any problems with them so they won't be going to waste. Michael's usually has 40-50% coupons in their flyers which should help a bit.

After ... 10+ years my acrylics from Michael's are still good. They've been virtually unopened for some 6 years and I recently had to use them to color pawns for a CheapAss game. They were perfectly fine. It's good paint and you should get tons of use out of them at under $3 a tube for the basic colors. Michael's has their single item 40% off every week and paints are on sale for 25-30% once a month at a minimum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nolan St. Martin
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like I might be getting a birthday gift from Michael's in the near future (next friday the 13th actually). My wife has been asking for ideas for gifts, and I mentioned to her I needed some new paint I need a new cutting mat too, so I might have a nice hobby-kit coming my way now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.