Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I.M. Jeremic
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It says 1st occupation costs you nothing. Is that the 1st occupation played in the entire game or the 1st occupation played by EACH player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1st occupation per player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom S
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good question!

It says "A players first occupation is free..." So its first occupation for each player is free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john guthrie
United States
silver spring
maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i was wondering too, since an earlier post (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3188804) today mentioned
Quote:
Nathalie was randomly determined starting player and she threw out her first occupation that came for free right away. Others had to pay precious food to get out occupations but since its a good idea to start with that, noone really hesitated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
In the 4p and 5p game (that session describes a 4p game), there's an alternate occupation (or family growth after phase 1) action-space card. That occupation action-space card does have a food cost even for a player's first occupation.

So that session is describing the situation accurately if a little awkwardly. The first player to go for an occupation on Turn 1 has to pay no food; the second player would have to take the other occupation action and thus pay one food. The third player to want an occupation on turn one is completely out of luck (he describes Andre as falling into this category, though the implication from the text is that both Joel and Ruben got occupations, when that is in fact not possible.)

Closer reading of the text reveals that the writer, Joel, was last to play in the first round, so he didn't get a first round occupation either.

The text "Others had to pay precious food to get out occupations but since its a good idea to start with that, noone really hesitated" does read awfully awkwardly, though, as it describes a situation as though it happened to multiple people when in fact it looks like it only happened to one (Ruben).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote that session report.

I guess things are over-complicated here.

For a 4 player game there are 3 spots to play an occupation right from the start. The first one lets you play an occupation by no additional costs if its your personal first you play. Any other you play on this spot costs 1 food. There is another spot that lets you play an occupation at the cost of 1 food if its your first or second occupation, from your third on you'll have to pay 2 food on this spot. The 3rd spot lets you play an occupation for 2 food no matter how many you got out already. So its always an advantage to take an occupation slot early in any turn.

Its as complicated as that because the game does it like that, but I am pretty sure there are 3 spots for occupations in a 4 player game, so we played this correctly, did we not ?

Edit: I am also sorry for my 'awful' english, I am not a native speaker, but if your german is better than my english we can continue the conversation in my mother tongue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
For a 4 player game there are 3 spots to play an occupation right from the start. The first one lets you play an occupation by no additional costs if its your personal first you play. Any other you play on this spot costs 1 food. There is another spot that lets you play an occupation at the cost of 1 food if its your first or second occupation, from your third on you'll have to pay 2 food on this spot. The 3rd spot lets you play an occupation for 2 food no matter how many you got out already. So its always an advantage to take an occupation slot early in any turn.

The occupation for 2 food always space is only used in 3 player games. Unlike some games you don't add the 4 player actions to the 3 player actions for 4 players. The cards marked with 4 are the only ones you use in a 4 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha, now thats some valuable information which probably caused all the confusion here. Thx for pointing out, thats surely something to miss by the rules and made our game too easy !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just hope that in all future games your group curses me every time they get blocked out of doing something they wanted to do. Sharing misery around the world . I usually screw up the rules and make the game too hard.

D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Ah I checked the cards that were not supposed to be in play and probably the 3rd occupation slot did matter in Turn 1 only. Later on stacks for wood and clay should not have been so high and many as we were almost flooded with that. The 4th card we should not have used was never taken though. So after all, maybe this was not so bad for a first 4 player game to get into it, next game we need to optimize our play a bit.

Thx again for pointing this out, I guess I had not discovered this on my own for quite a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Each set of cards for 3-, 4-, and 5-player games is noticably numbered. And make sure to distinguish between the regular game and the Family version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I know that distinction, thx

However, since the occupation cards work just the other way round, I somehow assumed its the same for the extra action spots, even though they are not indicated with 3+ or 4+ but 3 and 4.

Its a small issue with that plus there that clearly distinguishes and determines how to handle the cards though, but when you look at one kind you may be too quick to adapt it to the other. So I think that could have been done better actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.