Subject: The Democrat Party rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do Republicans call the Democratic Party the Democrat Party?

Why do Democrats call the Republican Party the Republican Party?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is intended to be an underhanded "slur" that implies there is nothing democratic about the Democrat Party. I believe the origins were in the 40s and came into heavy usage during the Cold War when McCarthy used it and Bod Dole used it in the debates against Mondale in the 70s.

Now it is common usage on right-wing talk radio, etc. However, even William Buckley derided the usage in a column in the National Review, saying
Quote:

Dear Joe McCarthy used to do that, and received a rebuke from this at-the-time 24-year-old. It has the effect of injecting politics into language, and that should be avoided. Granted there are diffculties, as when one desires to describe a "democratic" politician, and is jolted by possible ambiguity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
49xjohn wrote:

Black people are great athletes.

Asians are great at math.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that quick and concise answer, SpaceGhost, I have been a fan since I was a kid.

joebelanger wrote:

Interesting take on the thought, Joe. Are you saying that Republicans are mostly black, and Democrats are mostly Asian? I'm guessing you must be mostly Spanish then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
49xjohn wrote:
Thanks for that quick and concise answer, SpaceGhost, I have been a fan since I was a kid.

joebelanger wrote:

Interesting take on the thought, Joe. Are you saying that Republicans are mostly black, and Democrats are mostly Asian? I'm guessing you must be mostly Spanish then?

Why do Republicans ...
Why do Democrats ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll assume no one will provide an answer to my second question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MSV Burns
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
49xjohn wrote:

It's just a peevish insult and has always been intended as such.

An no, your second question needs no answering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
49xjohn wrote:

Republicans are more efficient and the extra syllable doesn't add any clarity.

Democrats are worried about hurting the Republican's feelings.

On a more serious note, don't politicians from the Democratic Party often refer to themselves as Democrats?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
qzhdad wrote:

On a more serious note, don't politicians from the Democratic Party often refer to themselves as Democrats?

Don't citizens of the USA call themselves Americans? So why not call the country the United States of Americans?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
qzhdad wrote:

Don't citizens of the USA call themselves Americans? So why not call the country the United States of Americans?

Hmm, because our country isn't a political party perhaps? Or maybe because it refers as much to geography as it does to people?

To be honest, before reading this thread if I had been a multiple choice test, "What is the official name of the leftmost major party in the US?"
I would have had to flip a coin between:
a) Democratic Party
b) Democrat Party

Party, to me, means "group of." So Democrat works better than Democratic. Are there any other political partys that use an adjective rather than a noun functioning as an adjective? Green, Libertarian, US Taxpayer(s?).

Pick a confusing name and it will be probably not be used.

That being said, if the occasion arises to formally use the name of the party, it probably should be used correctly.

I bet, in the unlikely event that I were to write a check to the "Democrat Party" they would cash it, wouldn't they?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
Way to answer a rhetorical question with the answer, Scott.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CapAp wrote:
Way to answer a rhetorical question with the answer, Scott.

I do my best to de-mystify things.

Isn't it even worth a thumb?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
Isn't it even worth a thumb?

Sure. Unfortunately, BGG did away with red thumbs almost immediately after they were introduced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
United States of Americans

I'm down with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
49xjohn wrote:

You must have read www.fivethirtyeight.com today, too. I had never heard of this before, but they have a neat chart of several sites and their usage of the slur vs. the proper term of Democratic Party. Personally, I had never heard of this before today.

Quote:

Site -rat/-ratic%
rushlimbaugh.com 337.9%
michellemalkin.com 108.5%
hannity.com 60.3%
littlegreenfootballs.com 52.6%
thenextright.com 41.4%
redstate.com 39.0%
townhall.com 22.5%
freerepublic.com 21.2%
realclearpolitics.com 14.3%
worldnetdaily.com 13.2%
fivethirtyeight.com 11.3%
dailykos.com 5.8%

I can now add to that:
boardgamegeek.com 516.9%

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
49xjohn wrote:

I think that starting today, I'll start calling the right-wing party the [/b]Repo Party[/b].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would Democrat Party considered a slur? (Other than grouping one with other Democrats )

I wonder if it would be a viable ploy for the GOP to run a Democrat Party candidate to siphon off votes? meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
Why would Democrat Party considered a slur? (Other than grouping one with other Democrats :p )
As I understand it, it's because "democratic" is a positive term for Americans, when used with the small "d". Repo Party members don't want any connotation of good with the Democratic Party.

On 528, there was an anecdote about a McCain aide accidentally using the term "Democratic Party" and then appologizing and correcting himself to say the shortened version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Wow...calling the Democrats 'Democrats' is now a slur.

I guess we'll just have to go back to calling them weenies....

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Further proof that this country is run by people with the mentality of 6-year-olds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
TheLightSarcastic wrote:
Darilian wrote:
Wow...calling the Democrats 'Democrats' is now a slur.

I guess we'll just have to go back to calling them weenies....

Darilian

I dunno. If Steele doesn't answer Colbert's challenge for a Battle Rap showdown, I say Republicans are the bigger candy-asses.

If I'm a candy ass, does that mean you can now 'Lick My Ass?'

*i kid, i kid, don't hurt me*
Darilian
GOP brand Butt shaped Lollipops! I'll make MILLIONS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
If, IF in some alternative history "Democrat Party" is a slur, it is does not approach the slur "Dubya" was intended to be.

Democrat Party has been accepted usage for as long as I can remember. My Grandfather, and all of his 8 siblings, were die hard democrats, and they used it.

I think it is another case of semantics, where technically some asshole in an ivory tower thought "Hey, I know I will stick it to that pesky Deomcratic party, I'll call them Democrats" and regular people are like "What the fuck ever".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MSV Burns
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I thought this thread was just going to die a peaceful, anonymous death...

Look, it's an insult -- a small one -- but an insult nonetheless. It's not an outrage. It's not a travesty. It's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. But it is an insult. And it's quite intentional, especially when used by those who most definitely know better (Dole, Bush, Newt, etc.).

The insult comes from the simple, continuing refusal to call something by its proper name. It's a tiny way of asserting power/dominance. It's saying, "I can call you whatever I want, and there's nothing you can do about it."

Because if the topic is even mentioned then there's a cute little mini-shitstorm of sputtering affected outrage -- "Pfft. Can you believe they're even bringing this up? How absurd! Those whiny, thin-skinned libbies."

Read this thread for examples...

That some people have internalized the insult and apply it to themselves doesn't make it any less of one. That others can (somewhat) believably claim they didn't know there was a difference is a testament to the power of repetition.

I just don't understand (except in the context of the greater political meta-game) why we don't all agree on what seems so obvious. It's just another little salvo in the ongoing fight. Own it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just another reason to not vote for the name callers or the wimps that let them go it.

Go third party! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Coincidentally, this became the topic of a piece over on 538.com:

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2009/03/democrat-party-decrie...

An excerpt from the article:

Quote:

In an era when there has been a lot of talk about mutual respect, it is striking that a huge number of Republicans continue to go out of their way to use the epithet “Democrat Party” rather than the party’s actual name, the Democratic Party.

Out of curiosity, I googled the terms “Democrat Party” and “Democratic Party” on a bunch of political websites, particularly right-leaning ones. In Limbaugh's case, there were 740 hits for "Democrat Party" site:rushlimbaugh.com, and 219 for "Democratic Party," for a Democrat/Democratic percentage of 337.90%. By comparison, ours was 102 "Democrat"s and 897 "Democratic"s. This is not a scientific study, of course, it's more an overall impression. It wouldn't be worth anybody's time to read every entry and comment that has ever been written or published on these sites, and obviously those google returns are substantially lower than the actual number of times the term has been used.

Even the Limbaugh/FiveThirtyEight comparison appears wildly closer than reality. Neither Nate nor I have ever used "Democrat Party"; that term is exclusively used as an epithet by conservatives in our Wild West comments section. Meanwhile, any listener knows Limbaugh's real ratio is far higher than 3.4-to-1. He occasionally messes up and says "Democratic." He used "Democrat" nine times in his CPAC speech, but slipped up and used "Democratic" once.

Those caveats aside, I believe the table is useful for a global impression.

Site -rat/-ratic%
rushlimbaugh.com 337.9%
michellemalkin.com 108.5%
hannity.com 60.3%
littlegreenfootballs.com 52.6%
thenextright.com 41.4%
redstate.com 39.0%
townhall.com 22.5%
freerepublic.com 21.2%
realclearpolitics.com 14.3%
worldnetdaily.com 13.2%
fivethirtyeight.com 11.3%
dailykos.com 5.8%

The data, though not collected using the most scientific rigor, nonetheless shows a pretty strong trend for the the term being more likely to show up on right leaning sites relative to left leanings sites. Further, the instances of "Democrat Party" from the left-leaning sites are most often from conservatives using it as an insult in comments sections, or from Republican quotes or otherwise discussing the Republican use of the term.

The article goes on at length to discuss the Republican propensity for word play in attack politics.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.