Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Strope
United States
kansas city
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After getting our feet wet last week, we played the Monsters scenario tonight. All that armor on the board mad em feel a little giddy. As the Soviets, your mission is to hold off the German forces for 5 turns. You start off with more armor than the Germans, but the point cost to fire your tanks limits how many shots you can get off. I had planned to hold the front checkpoints as long as possible and then retreat to the second range of mountains. If that position was over run, The last fallback point was the back row of checkpoints. I had to hold those. I couldn't win without them. The initial set up gives the soviets a fairly wide front with several different strategies on how to hold it. I decided to focus most of my forces along the road and on the mountains and force the Germans to either fight through me or try to sneak around the flanks. It turned out to be a good strategy. An early hit on one of his Panzer 38t's immobilized it and made it a non-factor for the most part. I was also able to keep one of his anti-tank guns from moving for a turn, The fighting early on was brutal with several hits on both sides, but few kills. Eventually the ability of the Germans to fire more than once an activation allowed them take out multiple tanks, but they still couldn't break the lines. Eventually one of his heavy hitters slipped around behind and was in a position to do some serious harm, but a lucky shot from behind took care of him. To get the shot, I had to move a tank out of position, and that opened up my lines pretty bad. I lost a tank and the "Tank killer," my armored car. Amazingly my infantry, the last survivor of my left flank, survived two point blank shots from an infantry tank and was able to withdrawal and set up an ambush at the fallback point. At this point i was down to a tank and 2 infantry. They fell back to second mountain range and prepared to defend the main control points. Thankfully my 4 T-34's showed up to help even the odds. Suddenly the Germans were losing tanks left and right. With the power and armor of the T-34's, I was able to even out the kills and hold off the remaining German forces until the end of the game. It would have been even more effective, but i put the T-34b on guard duty at one of the command points. I fully expected him to rush me and overwhelm everything but my T-34's. He hung back and played it cautious though, and that cost him the game. I'm not sure if he could have overwhelmed the T-34's or not, but they ended up working as a pretty good deterrent. .
The shifts in momentum couldn't have been timed better. At first I thought I was going to cruise to an easy victory, then as my lines collapsed, my dreams of victory faded quickly. Only to be returned with the arrival of my reinforcements. All in all, it was great fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.