Subject: First try. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Bracegirdle
United Kingdom
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I bought this game to take on a business trip I have scheduled in a month or so. I figured it was small enough and quick enough to set up and play in an evening in a hotel room.

Assembly was painless. My wife is a crafter and she has a neat little machine that creates stickers. So I printed off the counters made them into stickers and then just stuck them onto some card. This is a product I heartily recommend for print and play aficienados as it gets rid of the problems of creaing and uneven application that glue can cause.

Having assembled my set I had to have a go.

Turn 1
A careless start. I spent my talents on legions. These captured a few cities, but took heavy losses. Then along comes Carthage and heads sraight for Rome.I had one legion defending Sicily which Hannibal despatched with no losses. Rome falls. Elsewhere the a horde from the Steppes contented itself with filling vacant land. Points score 2. Oh dear. Should I stop? Well the rules permit Rome to carry n without Rome so what the heck let's give it a go.
Barbarian rolls 5 and 4 (Steppe)
Turn 2
Rome is recaptured and a city built in Macedonia. But lots of northerners start to trash the northern reaches of the empire. A slight recovery, but I feel I am not running this empire very well. Points scored 5.
Barbarian rolls 6 and 2 (Berber)

Turn 3
More progress. I become convinced that city building is not a good idea. A plan of sorts is hatched, albeit somewhat late in the day. In the north I will station legions to defend and capture cities to the east. Yes I know this is obvious but I often miss the obvious. Lots of northern barbarians plunge down from the Nord and Steppes. A heroic stand by a legion at Cisalpine halts them. Cisalpine falls but that is as far as the bad guys get. Points scored 7. Given that I am reaching the high water mark of Talents I feel this score is way too low.
Barbarian rolls 4 and 3 (Steppe)

Turn 4
Now the Roman machine starts to kick into gear. Plenty of cities taken. A lot of Steppes warriors appear but are stopepd by a solid defence before they can destroy any cities. Points scored 12.
Barbarian rolls 5 and 1 (Arabia)

Turn 5
Another good turn. Rome is triumphant and again keeps the hordes at Bay without losing any cities, The plan to defend heavy in the West and defend choke points only in the East is working. It has to be said that this plan is being helped by the near total absence of any eastern barbarians, but hey, every empire needs a bit of luck. Points scored 15.
Barbarian rolls 4 and 3 (Steppe)

Turn 6
I build only legions and defend what I have. I also embark on a firebreak policy. Clear out barbarians on the obvious invasion approaches and then leave the area with just a control marker in it. This means an invading horde must dissipate its strength a little just to reach me. Of course this relies on good combat rolls and for the present the gods favour the cause of justice and civilisation.No cites fall again this turn. Legions are lost in defence, but points are not scored for legions. Points scored 16.
Barbarian rolls 3 and 3 (Steppe) Two step hordes which I kept separate and sent down separate routes.

Turn 7
Again all cities are successfully defended. Barbarian movement helps as the route of the Streppe horde led them to skirt round my northern defences and attack cityless Gaul. Points scored 17. My confidence is now growing.
Barbarian rolls 4 and 1 (Berber)

Turn 8
The Firebreak policy, well, breaks. Large legion losses trying to clear Rhaetia. This leaves the defences undermanned and the barbarians make hay. Not in the north where no cites fall, but in the south where an Arab horde punches through the soft underbelly of the empire. Points scored 13.
Barbarian rolls 4 and 3 (Arabia)

Turn 9
Time trouble looms. I will not finish the full game this evening, so Idecide to play to turn 11 and score the short game. Finally some Parthians show up and take Mesopotamia from me. Teh Steppes horde is contained. Points scored 12.
Barbarian rolls 6 and 2 (Parthia)

Turn 10
Rome dashes out to take a random city in Armenia. Otherwise this turn is a struggle. The Arabians again trash the southern part of the empire. This time it was defended but to no avail. They get as far as Sicily and Rome starts to feel nervous. Steppe warriors pour through Macedonian to Illryia before they are stopped. Points scored 10.
Barbarian rolls 5 and 4 (Steppe)

Turn 11
Rome takes huge losses trying unsuccessfully to clear the Arabians out of Sicily and Cyrene. Four or five legions are gone. The Barbarians smell weakness and get ready to strike, but where are they. Snake eyes saves the day. Although the single Steppe warband still managed to take Greece. Points scored 9.
Barbarian rolls 1 and 1 (Steppe).

Total score 118 which is at the top end of a historical performance. At the end I held cities in Armenia, Syria, Palestine, Cilicia, Asia, Thrace, Rome, Cisalpine and Hispania. I had three legions on the board.
Great fun and there was plenty of decision making. I think if the game had continued Rome was in trouble, but then that is how it should be.

I took a photo of the final board and will try and post it later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Bracegirdle
United Kingdom
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here is the photo of the final position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Davis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the sessions report. I'm thinking of getting this game. Why aren't there more reviews?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Hiesterman
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
I wish to kill you, be at rest as to that, but to kill you quietly in a snug, remote place, where you will not be able to boast of your death to anybody
badge
Caught trouser-free in open country...
mbmbmbmbmb
Frog3 wrote:
My wife is a crafter and she has a neat little machine that creates stickers. So I printed off the counters made them into stickers and then just stuck them onto some card. This is a product I heartily recommend for print and play aficienados as it gets rid of the problems of creaing and uneven application that glue can cause.

Could you please tell me what machine you used to print these stickers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Bracegirdle
United Kingdom
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Its a Xyron 510.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Hiesterman
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
I wish to kill you, be at rest as to that, but to kill you quietly in a snug, remote place, where you will not be able to boast of your death to anybody
badge
Caught trouser-free in open country...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, mate!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.