Luis Paulino Mora Lizano
Costa Rica
Asunción de Belén
Heredia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group thinks that this is a very nice game. However, we feel that it is so hard for the humans to win, at least in the first plays.

The official variant to balance the game sugests that two points of every resource are added to the dials at the beginning. That of course may balance the situation, but will add for sure more lenght, and we believe that Battlestar Galactica don't need any more game time to be fun. In fact, longer games could become tedious and repetitive, so it is better to keep the original time frame or even get shorter in time.

So, how about cutting the game to a 6 or 7 distance points and a jump? Has someone tried it? Any other ways to balance the game without adding more lenght?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been discussed to some extent here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/373970 But that's more about reducing the jump threshold for the sake of game length, and not as a balancing factor.

I disagree that the game needs to be balanced, though... the humans can definitely win... it may just be slightly more of a challenge for them going in. Accept that and everyone can be happy with the result, whether you win or not. I think a question to ask is, do you really have to win to enjoy a game? If not, then so what if it's a little harder for the humans?

I'm not sure, though, why adding more resources at the beginning would add game length, other than keeping the humans in the game longer if they would have otherwise lost at a certain point by running out of a resource. But I thought that was your point, to help the humans...

Anyway, I think the ideas in the other thread about reducing the jump threshold can be viable... just disregard the details about how to balance the game from there (reducing resources) if you want the humans to have an advantage. I think you may find it too easy for the humans, though, at least in some games... The thing with requiring a certain number of jumps to win is that it becomes more likely to come across Cylon Attack cards in the Crisis deck... with fewer game rounds, the humans may have an easy time of it if those don't come up enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One suggestion would be to increase each resource by 1 when you start off.

However, I have played 11 games to date and will say that I no longer think "cylons always win". Win percentages for used to be 95% win rate, but now I'll down that to around 70% or so. In many ways, this is a card game with a d8. Killer hands and great die rolling will provide enormous boosts for either side (e.g. when cylons win, they win even before the sleeper phase occurs, or with one of my 4p games, I won at distance of 3, within 1.5 hours, via centurion boarding party..... or with humans, NOTHING goes on for 3 out of the 4 rounds, and the humans win with all 4 resources till in the blue).

For tips for human players, once you know who all the cylon players are, use Executive Orders on everyone else, use Investigative Committee to keep from overcommitting skill cards, and use Strategic Planning to give you better odds on rolling that pesky 7 or 8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokelau
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Schroinger wrote:
Our group thinks that this is a very nice game. However, we feel that it is so hard for the humans to win, at least in the first plays.

The official variant to balance the game sugests that two points of every resource are added to the dials at the beginning. That of course may balance the situation, but will add for sure more lenght, and we believe that Battlestar Galactica don't need any more game time to be fun. In fact, longer games could become tedious and repetitive, so it is better to keep the original time frame or even get shorter in time.

So, how about cutting the game to a 6 or 7 distance points and a jump? Has someone tried it? Any other ways to balance the game without adding more lenght?

Well I think this would be no good if there are no cylons until the sleeper phase. Then they lose 1 or 2 turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rudram
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suspect that the Cylons who became active in a shorter game with distance of 6 or 7 would need to be much more aggressive in trying to screw things up. Much harder for them, yes, but they can't sit back and make a traitorous move at a critical juncture.

It'd change the game a little, but I'm not sure it'd break it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Paulino Mora Lizano
Costa Rica
Asunción de Belén
Heredia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
I think a question to ask is, do you really have to win to enjoy a game? If not, then so what if it's a little harder for the humans?

It is not a question about liking to win, but to keep the challenge. If one party can win walking, I wouldn't like the game even if I were in the winning side.

By the way, down here in Costa Rica we like a lot your video reviews. Keep on them!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Short
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you get a solid grasp on the strategy, the game gets much easier for the humans. I'd say my games are probably 60/40 in favor of Cylons these days. That's despite our group's intentional suboptimal play prior to the sleeper phase (one player went as far as to intentionally screw us on Morale prior to sleeper phase, because he was worried if he became a Cylon he would have too much of an uphill battle).

It just takes some time to learn how not to over commit your resources. Knowing when to just tank a skill check is critical to human survival.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Schroinger wrote:
Grudunza wrote:
I think a question to ask is, do you really have to win to enjoy a game? If not, then so what if it's a little harder for the humans?

It is not a question about liking to win, but to keep the challenge. If one party can win walking, I wouldn't like the game even if I were in the winning side.

By the way, down here in Costa Rica we like a lot your video reviews. Keep on them!!

Thanks, Luis. I appreciate that. And I agree that it's not fun for either side if there is a clear advantage. As others have said, though, the humans can definitely win by using their abilities and resources well. But perhaps for the first few games, the humans might opt for the extra resources, as suggested in the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add my voice to the others here, after over 12 games, I would say that half our games go down to the wire, where one or two extra turns (not full turns, but player turns) would have secured the win for the other side. Our group finds this one well balanced, so much so that we have no problems getting six players, often turning some away.

IMHO, the game is best with a full complement of players, and the Sympathizer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Lee
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We regularly play to 6 + a final jump and in our setup, we reduce all resources by 2. Lastly, the BSG is destroyed if it takes 5 damage, not 6.

Works fine if you aren't a rules stickler =P

Sometimes we have time for 2 games this way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
if you believe the game is THAT difficult for the humans, another thing you could do is to just to play without cylons. Everyone is human. I play my own 1p variant where I assign loyalty cards face down to each character, and when the appropriate time comes, I flip over and resolve any "You are a cylon cards" so long as that character isn't in the brig. Perhaps even double their effects if they get to do them. I roll a dice to determine at what distance they occur. Then each "cylon player" also gets a random super crisis to play and for all the characters to resolve.

Or, you could simply lose the loyalty cards and super crisis cards altogether just to have one 'clean' game through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.