United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Almost All Workplace Related edition

1. Not Enough Meetings - There's no meeting that can't be summed up in a one paragraph email, [CENSORED]

2. Speakers... really? - A coworker one aisle away from me doesn't use headphones. She prefers tinny-sounding speakers. People still do this?

3. My Bad, But Still... - Look, 90% of the time I forget to include the attachment, I realize it right as I click send. Can you wait more than 4 seconds to tell me I forgot it? Trust me, it's being sent again in a second.

4. The Candy Jar - I have a Darth Vader cookie jar at my desk I used to fill with candy. I would spend about $10 a week on filling it up. Subtract my two weeks of vacation and that leaves me with $500/year in candy jar fees. I stopped after awhile because people wouldn't stop asking when I would refill it. If I suggested they refill it once or twice, they would get offended. The other day, a coworker sympathized saying she used to be the candy jar person before I showed up. She stopped filling it up for the same reasons and got annoyed at others for the same reasons. Of course, she followed that up with asking when I was refilling mine.

5. "Jam Packed Agenda" - [CENSORED]

6. Scones - Last Saturday, the wife couldn't stop saying this word. I swear she said it about 600 times in the course of one day. I had my revenge the next day in a less-than-sober state by choosing to say the word loudly in public hundreds of times in front of my wife. She hasn't said it since.

7. With a K, dammit - I've told this one co-worker how to spell my name about 50 times. She still gets it wrong. She either isn't bright or does it out of spite.

8. [CENSORED]

9. Double Spacing in Outlook - I know proper typing dictates there should be two spaces between sentences instead of one. This is lame and inefficient. Outlook for some reason auto-corrects this these days, mostly with incoming messages. I have to copy and paste most of this stuff, and it creates some annoying inconsistencies.

10. Friends & Family - Friends and Family sales used to be for employees of a company and, as the name suggests, their friends and family. Lately, most companies are rolling these sales out to the general public. They think we're all their friends and/or family. Awww.

11. New Daily Ritual - [CENSORED]

12. Hijacking Windows - Look IE, there's a reason why I want you to load pages in the background while I work in DreamWeaver right now. You really don't need to hijack my screen everytime you load another embedded Flash ad. You're like the 5-year-old who wants everyone to watch him jump up and down like he's the first to do it while the Super Bowl's on.

EDITS: Entries censored after my wife kindly reminded me how my BGG profile is my #1 Google result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
erak wrote:

4. The Candy Jar - I have a Darth Vader cookie jar at my desk I used to fill with candy. I would spend about $10 a week on filling it up. Subtract my two weeks of vacation and that leaves me with $500/year in candy jar fees. I stopped after awhile because people wouldn't stop asking when I would refill it. If I suggested they refill it once or twice, they would get offended. The other day, a coworker sympathized saying she used to be the candy jar person before I showed up. She stopped filling it up for the same reasons and got annoyed at others for the same reasons. Of course, she followed that up with asking when I was refilling mine.

I've discovered this one where I work too. I filled it about 3 times and then my wife cut me off saying I was spending too much money doing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're having meetings that can be a 1 paragraph email, then someone isn't running a meeting properly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
erak wrote:

2. Speakers... really? - A coworker one aisle away from me doesn't use headphones. She prefers tinny-sounding speakers. People still do this?

Yes, because they have such a great taste in music, and we all want to listen to it, even when engaged in serious R&D work.

erak wrote:
3. My Bad, But Still... - Look, 90% of the time I forget to include the attachment, I realize it right as I click send. Can you wait more than 4 seconds to tell me I forgot it? Trust me, it's being sent again in a second.

The vast majority of the time people don't resend without a reminder, and at least this person is not ignoring your e-mail like most. Sorry, but on this one, you're just being a bitch.

erak wrote:
5. "Jam Packed Agenda"

I'd put that about halfway between Jam Packed Pastry and Jam Packed Anus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L C

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear you on the speakers. I had a coworker once who played terrible music from a radio on her desk all day. I asked her to turn it down and she gave me a dirty look and turned it very slightly vaguely down. I could hear it through my own headphones. I would sneak in and turn the radio off if she went off to lunch and I knew it made her mad because she would come back from lunch and turn the volume up. It very nearly drove me mad until another person moved to a cubicle on the other side of me, who could not stop talking. I can't remember her ever NOT talking. She must have had an allergy to not talking.

As for the candy jar, ahem, did you not eat many hundreds of dollars worth of candy from my desk when we worked together? You did refill the pumpkin a couple of times, which was nice. And it is irritating when people do not contribute but bug you about replacing the candy - but it is good for bribes and getting people to do what you want. I found it to be good at making sure my reputation wasn't a cranky jerk, but the provider of candy.

People used to spell my last name incorrectly all the time. They don't anymore. That's all I'm saying.

People weren't looking at you because you were saying "scone" but because they could smell the liquor on you.

You can probably change the double space auto correcting thing in Outlook. I don't remember ever encountering that issue before.

Love,
Scone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
What drives me up the wall at work is The Guy Who Wants to Have a Conversation But Wants You to Start It. You know the guy I'm talking about? He'll hover by your desk and he'll sigh, or shake his head and chuckle, or say something cryptic to himself like "well, they did it again" or "I guess the ham is going to be funny from now on"...except he doesn't want to start the conversation himself. He wants you to ask him what's on his mind. So he just waits. And sighs more loudly. Or chuckles with more feeling. Waiting. Waiting.

Sometimes I like to torture him and just let him pathetically hang there until he finally gives up and stalks off, but other times I'm too irritated to suffer through it and so just get the whole thing over with. "So...what's up?"

This is when the infuriating part happens, because at this point the G.W.W.t.H.a.C.B.W.Y.t.S.I. suddenly shams surprise. Like, "huh?" It's as if he were just walking down the hall minding his own business and I leapt out and grabbed him because he's just so fascinating, just ever so interesting, that I absolutely had to know what was going on inside that knobby, misshapen head of his.

And is it ever anything interesting? No! The complete opposite! It's that he's decided to switch from Sanka back to Postum, or he thinks Scotch tape isn't as sticky as it used to be, or he just realized that there aren't any good miniature golf courses in his town. I mean, really, what the hell? Do I deserve this?

Seriously, I'm asking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the name thing, don't get pissed at people, get pissed at your folks.

Or get over it and let folks spell it however they want.

My name?
Dwayne.
Not DeWayne
Not DuWayne
Not DeWaine
Not Duayne
Not Dwyane
Not Duane
Not De Wayne
Not Dwaine
Not Wayne
Not Glenn (honest to God, some folks think that's my name).

I've almost started telling folks my name is Bob, but I spell it D-w-a-y-n-e
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
On the name thing, don't get pissed at people, get pissed at your folks.

Or get over it and let folks spell it however they want.

My name?
Dwayne.
Not DeWayne
Not DuWayne
Not DeWaine
Not Duayne
Not Dwyane
Not Duane
Not De Wayne
Not Dwaine
Not Wayne
Not Glenn (honest to God, some folks think that's my name).

I've almost started telling folks my name is Bob, but I spell it D-w-a-y-n-e
Hit' em with a rock bottom if their candy asses can't spell your name. That's what this other Dwayne would do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
Yes. Yes they do. And they're darned protective of them too.
erak wrote:
12. Hijacking Windows - Look IE, there's a reason why I want you to load pages in the background while I work in DreamWeaver right now. You really don't need to hijack my screen everytime you load another embedded Flash ad. You're like the 5-year-old who wants everyone to watch him jump up and down like he's the first to do it while the Super Bowl's on.
BEST ANALOGY EVER!!!! God I hate how it does that. That and the !(#$%$ IM client I have to use at work. Every time I'm typing something important (like my latest bit of chit chat wisdom) one of my co-workers suddenly feel the need to let me know he's taking his break and I'm typing away into that IM window.

I HATE THAT!!!!angryangryangryangry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
eggplantia5 wrote:
I hear you on the speakers....Yadda Yadda Yadda...

*Evil Youtube Video*

Love,
Scone

Not again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gola wrote:
What drives me up the wall at work is The Guy Who Wants to Have a Conversation But Wants You to Start It.

This is a perfect description of 3 different people in my office. Made even worse by the fact that 95% of the time it's the Detroit Lions they want to talk about. I mean honestly, as if my Monday morning isn't bad enough, now you have to come over here and make me relive another disgusting Lions game?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
Gola wrote:
What drives me up the wall at work is The Guy Who Wants to Have a Conversation But Wants You to Start It.

This is a perfect description of 3 different people in my office. Made even worse by the fact that 95% of the time it's the Detroit Lions they want to talk about. I mean honestly, as if my Monday morning isn't bad enough, now you have to come over here and make me relive another disgusting Lions game?!

It's only 16 times a year, Ben.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
Gola wrote:

I used to work with a girl like that, only worse. She would literally sit on my desk behind me (it's a long desk) and just sit there waiting for my attention up to 10 minutes. When she had it, she would just huff about whatever annoyed her, but not actually say anything. I did the mental Happy Erak Dance when she resigned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwiles wrote:
It's only 16 times a year, Ben.

You wish! Then there's free-agency, then there's the draft...then it's somebody saw on Sports Center how the new Browns Lions coach isn't going to be able to get them to the playoffs for the first 37 years he's in Cleveland Detroit, and won't it be hard to be patient, AGAIN... And next year, they'll start the new season by comparing every game with last season, so you won't even be able to enjoy the fresh start (assuming you would have enjoyed it in the first place...).
Argh!

It never ends...
soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
The Almost All Workplace Related edition

I am very happy to see that this is an ongoing series. I enjoyed the inaugural edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's time for baseball, people! Pitchers and catchers report soon and the national pastime is with us again!
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
9. Double Spacing in Outlook - I know proper typing dictates there should be two spaces between sentences instead of one. This is lame and inefficient. Outlook for some reason auto-corrects this these days, mostly with incoming messages. I have to copy and paste most of this stuff, and it creates some annoying inconsistencies.

You'd love proposal writing, Erak. Because page count is often an issue, our asinine Writing Guide insists that there only be one space between sentences. Drives any good typist crazy. And if you think we have Grammer Nazis here, you've never seen Proposal Formatting Nazis!

Drew1365 wrote:
Please, please for the love of God, stop putting two spaces between sentences! This is not the age of typewriters! This is the age of computers!

Gah!

Except the offending double spaces were in a computer application.

Face it, guys, God wants you to put two spaces between sentences. Paragraphs look all squishy otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew is right. Word processors put the correct amount of space after a period with one space. You only put two spaces after the period if you are typing on a typewriter. And stop slouching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As for the sending things without attachments. I get several emails a week announcing things -- seminars, etc. I also get several "so and so would like to recall that message" e-mails that were send out. Often within minutes of the first email. I find it rather annoying. Since it is is almost always the same person sending them erroneously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:

I assume you already told here, very politely, that this...troubles you.

erak wrote:

Do people even ask to take a candy out? If not, I have a few suggestions of candies to put into the jar...devil

erak wrote:

Are you using Outlook out of your own free will?

erak wrote:

Flashblock is your friend. It allows you to only load those flash stuff you are interested in. Oh, but it needs Firefox. You might also use TweakUI to turn off the hijacking in general.

Sorry that I try to help you solve some of those annoyances - but I look forward to some new ones on the list in a couple of weeks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.