United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Battle for Biternia - Kerrick
mbmbmbmbmb
I was considering how curse cards might be used in future expansions, and it led me to come up with this card.

Conjurer

Cost: 4

Gain a curse card. If you do, gain a card costing up to 5.
If you cannot gain a curse card, gain a card costing up to 3.

Action
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell D
United Kingdom
Ewell
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens when the curse card pile is exhausted? Is the Conjurer useless? Or would there be a lesser power for such circumstances (e.g. gain a card costing up to 3).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point. I'll reword it. The way I had it written, if there were no curse cards you would've just gotten the 5 card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doron Blake
United States
Lakeville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to know for sure without playtesting, but I think this card could be stronger... It seems like picking up a curse is a pretty heavy cost, especially as this card will presumably fire multiple times. Maybe "Gain a curse card and put a card costing up to 5 on top of your deck..." something like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wodan wodan
msg tools
I believe that Curses should have 3 cards related to them
1. A card that gives curses as an attack
2. A card that gives curses in return for a reward
3. A card that rewards you for having curses, enough so that you might buy them.

Your card, like many others, is of the 2 category. Its more balanced and smooth than most of the alternatives I've seen offered.

Here is an example of a 3:

Alchemist(cost=4): +1 Card, +1 Action, treat Curses as though they were Gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dolan
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I think that this card could be very useful in certain situations. Towards the end of the game, this card could be used to get a Duchy and Cuse which would be a positive 2 victory points. If gardens is in the game, you could get a curse and a gardens that would net a positive victory and add to the number of cards in your deck. If no curse cards are available, it would still get you an estate. On the rare occassion, it could be used to end the game faster if you think your deck is becoming to clogged and there are not many curse cards left. Interesting idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kingsbury
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I want to play the Conjurer (and love the name which helps - would have a good picture) and Alchemist (and love the name which helps - would have a good picture).

If we are thinking about curses how about Warlock cost 4 +1 action allows you to discard a number of curses in hand to discard deck of players clockwise from you. Each player can only get one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wodan46 wrote:

Alchemist(cost=4): +1 Card, +1 Action, treat Curses as though they were Gold.

Do you mean treat curses as "Gold," like, 3 ducats each, or treat them as one ducat apiece?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.