United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Maybe we will see these in the future?

1. More use of the discard pile.
1a. Trash cards from your discard pile.
1b. Take cards from your discard pile into your hand.
1c. Reshuffle only certain cards from your discard pile.

2. More use of curse cards.
2a. Taking a curse card along with a positive action for yourself.

3. Utilization of Opponents' Hands
3a. Swap your hand for your opponents. (a la Citadels).
3b. Play cards out of an opponents hand as if they were yours.
3c. "Clone" cards from opponents. You get copies from the buy piles. Perhaps you're obligated to take every card in their hand?

4. Permanents
4a. Cards that you play in front of you that are not discarded at the end of the turn.
4b. Allows you to save a card in your hand for the following turn.

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like those ideas except for Swapping Hands and Permanents.

Swapping hands seems way too chaotic and is also a targeted attack. I'm not a fan of either in this game. As for Permanents, for some reason I can't quite put my finger on I'm really hoping Dominion doesn't go there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the idea of voluntarily taking a curse card.

I'm interested in permanents if done correctly. I don't know what that means but I'll easily be able to tell you if it is wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
HappyProle wrote:

Swapping hands seems way too chaotic and is also a targeted attack. I'm not a fan of either in this game. As for Permanents, for some reason I can't quite put my finger on I'm really hoping Dominion doesn't go there.

I don't mind targeted attacks, per se, but swapping hands has always seemed like a bad thing in most games. Your hand is one thing you build up and feel like is "yours" in a game, and then someone can just arbitrarily exchange their hand with yours? shake If there's a way to make it work thematically, then fine, and sometimes that can be a strategic choice... you purposely run your hand low knowing you can exchange with someone else... but still, I'm generally not a fan of that as a game element.

The other things might be cool, though, depending how they're used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Kiser
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
HappyProle wrote:

I don't mind targeted attacks, per se, but swapping hands has always seemed like a bad thing in most games. Your hand is one thing you build up and feel like is "yours" in a game, and then someone can just arbitrarily exchange their hand with yours? shake If there's a way to make it work thematically, then fine, and sometimes that can be a strategic choice... you purposely run your hand low knowing you can exchange with someone else... but still, I'm generally not a fan of that as a game element.

Perhaps it is a borrowing of an opponents hand? Look at it, play any card as if it is yours, but they do not lose it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Swapping hands has long term effects because each player has their own deck of cards. I really don't like the idea.

I also loathe the idea of targeted attacks in the game. I really like the way that current attacks affect all other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
New York City
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Making use of the trash pile? Like a Garbageman card - take a card from the trash in exchange for +2 (or +3) coin this turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theory wrote:
Making use of the trash pile? Like a Garbageman card - take a card from the trash in exchange for +2 (or +3) coin this turn.

Would be a nice foil for Turbo Remodel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Knoerzer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
This blue box is not as cool as David Tennant's...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of swapping hands you have a card that is says: randomly draw card or cards from your opponents hand. Use those cards during that turn as if they were yours. When you turn is over place those cards back into you opponent’s hand or opponent’s discard pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
HappyProle wrote:

I don't mind targeted attacks, per se, but swapping hands has always seemed like a bad thing in most games. Your hand is one thing you build up and feel like is "yours" in a game, and then someone can just arbitrarily exchange their hand with yours? :shake: If there's a way to make it work thematically, then fine, and sometimes that can be a strategic choice... you purposely run your hand low knowing you can exchange with someone else... but still, I'm generally not a fan of that as a game element.

Swapping hands should make everyone pass their hand to the left. That would be amazing. >:D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Barksdale
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jammasterjake wrote:

One problem with this kind of card is that you can't look through your discard pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Battle for Biternia - Kerrick
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in agreement that the hand swapping and directed attacks don't really fit in Dominion. Permanent changes to other players' decks (thief, witch) are very limited in scope, and I like the fact that at the end of your turn you have a clean slate. Permanents don't seem to fit.

That said, I do like the idea of playing a card or two from your opponent's hand. Maybe something like:

Jester

Cost: 4
Action - Attack

+1 moneys

Each opponent reveals a card from his hand at random. Choose one of those cards. Until the end of the turn, you may play it as though it were in your hand. All revealed cards are discarded at the end of your turn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destry Miller
United States
California
flag msg tools
fiddlerjones wrote:

That said, I do like the idea of playing a card or two from your opponent's hand. Maybe something like:

Jester

Action - Attack

+1 moneys

Each opponent reveals a card from his hand at random. Choose one of those cards. Until the end of the turn, you may play it as though it were in your hand. All revealed cards are discarded at the end of your turn

Nice. I'd change it to be +1 action instead of +1 money (so you can play one of the revealed actions.)

Also, maybe make it reveal the top card of the other draw decks instead of from the hand. It'd be too easy to combo with militia and throne room to reduce the other players hands to practically nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
destry wrote:
fiddlerjones wrote:

Jester

Action - Attack

+1 moneys

Nice. I'd change it to be +1 action instead of +1 money (so you can play one of the revealed actions.)

Also, maybe make it reveal the top card of the other draw decks instead of from the hand. It'd be too easy to combo with militia and throne room to reduce the other players hands to practically nothing.

I agree on both points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wcbarksdale wrote:
jammasterjake wrote:

One problem with this kind of card is that you can't look through your discard pile.

That's how the rules are written NOW, sure, but the rules also say you get 1 Action and 1 Buy per turn, and there are PLENTY of cards that break those rules. Action cards break rules, that's what makes them useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
destry wrote:
fiddlerjones wrote:

Jester

Action - Attack

+1 moneys

That's a good call. With your revisions, it'd be a great card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Kiser
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
destry wrote:
fiddlerjones wrote:

Jester

Action - Attack

+1 moneys

I like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bailey
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
Why don't you believe me?
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mb
jammasterjake wrote:
destry wrote:
fiddlerjones wrote:

Jester

Action - Attack

+1 moneys

I like this.

Does this mean you can Chapel or Remodel the card away? That seems like it may be a bit powerful. Or would the card still return to your opponent's discard pile even though it was destroyed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a tough call. It says you can play the card as though it were in your hand, operative word "play." The way I see it, it would let you play an action or use a treasure card, but you couldn't trash it to remodel, mine, chapel, or moneylender or discard it to cellar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Martin
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coincidentally we were discussing this last night, and had some ideas:

1) A card that lets you take an extra turn immediately / forces all other players to miss a turn (i.e. can be cancelled by Moat). Has to be worded carefully so that no one misses consecutive turns, and would be priced highly, but is interesting and very different to what's currently available.

2) Victory point cards that reward you for holding Estates and Duchies or Copper and Silver. This brings these inferior cards that much more into play as a viable strategy.

3) We also liked the idea of choosing to take a Curse in exchange for a benefit: we thought that taking a Curse and a Gold could be interesting. The issue comes when the deck of Curses runs out: would you be allowed to just pick up the Gold?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisjwmartin wrote:

3) We also liked the idea of choosing to take a Curse in exchange for a benefit: we thought that taking a Curse and a Gold could be interesting. The issue comes when the deck of Curses runs out: would you be allowed to just pick up the Gold?

See this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/386650

I had much the same idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of a permanent, but I would want there to be more than one type of permanent and only one in play at a time. That way if you have extra, then they clog your hand. What about a permanent that makes you take curses at the beginning of your turn. That way you have incentive to get more so that you can discard it and replace it with a new one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really excited that HiG is incorporating The Catapult into the newest expansion. It will really open up a number of unexpected options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Kiser
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
I'm really excited that HiG is incorporating The Catapult into the newest expansion. It will really open up a number of unexpected options.

Details? Or is this an inside Dominion joke?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quijanoth
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jammasterjake wrote:
sisteray wrote:

Details? Or is this an inside Dominion joke?

I think more like an inside Carcasonne joke, I believe...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.