United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I'm sure this has come up before, but I didn't want to check!

Often times I'll be playing in my normal game group, and I'll see someone (usually a non-gamer, of course) sneeze. While my fellow gamers might ask for God to bless him, I can barely get myself to look at the person! I personally would never sneeze while playing someone else's game: it's rude, disruptive, and can potentially cause lasting damage to game components under some circumstances. Other people apparently have no problem with this, and say, "Dude, it's just a sneeze." I find it very difficult to cope with.

I find it tough to communicate with people face to face, so I decided that this question of social behavior is best left to the experts - YOU, THE INTERNET!!

1) Would you sneeze while playing a game? Does it matter if it's yours or someone else's?
2) How do you tell the uninitiated not to sneeze at your meetings? I do my best to avoid talking with people, as other people are irrational, so the least confrontational method is preferred.
3) What sort of punishment do you administer to the sneezers? Does it change for repeat offenses?
4) Should I just find a new game group? It's worth a two-hour drive each way if I don't have to deal with sneezes.

SNEEZING CONS:
-> Disruptive to the game - I don't have all day here, how long do you expect me to hold up the game just so you can have your precious sneezing time?
-> Rude - This goes without saying
-> Potential for damage - After reading the Norwegian boat story, I'm not taking any chances! I don't care where stuff is coming from, I don't want it to happen near my games!
-> Spreading disease - My uncle used to be a pharmacist and he told me that sneezes can spread malaria or something.

SNEEZING PROS:
-> None that I can think of

No, I'm not being serious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you gotta sneeze, you gotta sneeze.

That said, there's a difference between turning your head and covering your mouth with your sleeve, and spraying mucus all over the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
TimMierz wrote:
SNEEZING PROS:
-> None that I can think of

From a strategic perspective, a non-sneezer could use the distraction to cover a theft of money or resources. I think if you are prepared for the contingency, you can take advantage of the distraction while others are worried about the sneezer's health.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry but that is breaking house rule #213. Please see the front office to turn in your membership card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Godspeed the Punchline
United States
San Joser
California
flag msg tools
A good troll attempt, B-.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You DO realize that sneezing is not actually much of a voluntary act, right? People generally don't do it to piss you off

That said, if anyone except for me has to sneeze, pee, sleep or eat during my regular 70 hour gaming marathons, I have that person locked away for a few years, how DARE they have body functions?!

Aaah, sweet live of the dictator

No, but really, you're weird my friend, perhaps normal only for BGG standards, our OCD-ridden, social-anxiety-dripping home away from home.

But I agree, of course you put your hand in front of your face when you have to do it, but failing to do that is rude in just about any situation, not just gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Manning
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
designer
err... I like boardgames!?!
badge
D'oh! I bought overtext even though I have nothing interesting to say.
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I don't care. I'm happy to have people snot all over my games. Especially if it's something OOP and rare, like Dune. The small specks of snot create a visual patina that makes the game seem even older and rarer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are playing Illuminati it is traditional that at least once a game somebody sneezes and blows money all over the table - hopefully just their own.

In general sneezing is considered acceptable unless you are over the age of five and do not cover your mouth. It is also considered good manners to turn away from others,a s has been mentioned, but politeness seems to be a dead art these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick M
United States
Minnetonka
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who sneezes I've learned to sneeze into the crook of my arm(the side opposite my elbow) to keep damages to a minimum. If one is into wearing capes you could get a Dracula look while doing the same move.

As far as keeping a sneeze in... Didn't Southpark reference that particular issue? Oh wait, that was something else...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Manning
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
designer
err... I like boardgames!?!
badge
D'oh! I bought overtext even though I have nothing interesting to say.
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
In general sneezing is considered acceptable unless you are over the age of five and do not cover your mouth.

But whatever you do, don't cover your mouth with the the hand that's holding cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Cunningham
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know...I have the same problem with people that blink while at the game table. I mean, seriously, I don't understand why they can't control it, or just hold it for 5 or 6 hours until they are home. The nerve of some people!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While it is NOT polite to fart while playing a boardgame, chances are there is at least one person aorund the board who would be considered more likely than anyone else to let one rip.

Hence, proper procedure, should you not have enough time to leave the room, would be to throw a quick, incisive stare at the person considered most likely to perpetrate such an act and then continue playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokelau
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whats your stance on washing your hands after you've taken a dook?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
redneedle wrote:
Oh wait, that was something else...

Elusive Nick sighting!!!! I call a nick sighting at 4:03PM in CHIT-CHAT. MARKED!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Leung
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just make sure to cover your mouth when you sneeze, and not just for game preservation...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Put their nose between your index finger and middle finger, then pretend to pull it off - saying "I got your nose, ha ha."

NOT RECOMMENDED FOR CHILDREN UNDER 3, THEY BELIEVE IT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
leungd wrote:
Just make sure to cover your mouth when you sneeze, and not just for game preservation...

Yeah sure, then they have to wipe it on their shirt and you have to look at the yucky booger on their shirt all night.gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Frantz
United States
Wenatchee
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That's why I bought a sneeze guard when the local pizza place went out of business. My game table looks like a salad bar.

We do look a mite silly though with the TV trays holding our sippy cups, our latex gloves, sneeze guard, and hair nets. But god forbid we blemish my irreplaceable copy of Power Grid!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
TimMierz wrote:
1) Would you sneeze while playing a game? Does it matter if it's yours or someone else's?
2) How do you tell the uninitiated not to sneeze at your meetings? I do my best to avoid talking with people, as other people are irrational, so the least confrontational method is preferred.
3) What sort of punishment do you administer to the sneezers? Does it change for repeat offenses?
4) Should I just find a new game group? It's worth a two-hour drive each way if I don't have to deal with sneezes.

1) I'll sneeze when it happens. It's not like I schedule a sneeze.

2) "Don't breathe. If you don't breathe, you can't sneeze."

3) If it bothered me enough, I'd have to remove their sinuses.

4) I hear the dead don't sneeze, and they won't argue with whatever game you decide to put on the table.

BTW, this might be one of the most inane questions I've encountered here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Hough
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This is a picture taken from my last game night. I for one am happy that I don't have to worry about sneezing on my games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
ludopoly wrote:
Personally, I don't care. I'm happy to have people snot all over my games. Especially if it's something OOP and rare, like Dune. The small specks of snot create a visual patina that makes the game seem even older and rarer.

When it dries and darkens, you can tell the uninitiated that it's Spice.

gulplaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to mention the "God bless you" comments annoy any atheists in the room...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
chindent wrote:
Not to mention the "God bless you" comments annoy any atheists in the room...

Then brush up on your German!

Gesundheit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
TimMierz wrote:
1) Would you sneeze while playing a game?
No, I'm not being serious.

Hi Tim,

My entire nose is laminated so this is a non-issue for me.

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Illuminati (Original edition) it is game tactic--The Great Sneeze play of 1984. (Yes, the money is just paper.)

"Oh, I didn't mean to disperse all of your money. I couldn't help it!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.