Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend and I just played Through the Desert last night. She liked it, commenting on the cute camel pieces of course.

Then she surprised me. She said she liked the fact that 'you have to keep the other person from doing what they want while doing what you want'. I never realized before that she would like direct conflict. I just assumed she wouldn't like those.

Anyway, she said that she likes games like Through the Desert, Hey That's My Fish!, and Samurai (others we have played). So, I'm wondering what other games I should try out on her. I know we both prefer quicker games, and nothing too heavy. And we both like theme, no matter how thin, so I'm probably not as interested in obvious abstracts.

Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Dare I suggest Wings of War and Memoir '44? These are good, light, fun games with a war theme.

Other than those, look at Roma, Hansa, Torres, Jambo, Attika is great with only 2, as is Taluva.

Lucky you to have a girlfriend who likes confrontation. Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Today's show was brought to you by the letters

'X'

and

'M'

and the number '4'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Try going for XXX next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sheppard
United States
Bellevue
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yspahan

This game is all about deciding whether to do what is good for you or what is bad for someone else. It also has 'cute' cameeples, so that might be a plus. Look at the links and the forum on the game page. You'll find a video review of how to play, and a link to the free PC version done by...uh...West Park Games (I think). The PC game is a great way to get familiar with the game and learn the rules.

Saint Petersburg

Another good game with conflict. My wife loves this game. There is an expansion or two out there. Additionally, it turns out there is a free PC version of this too, also by West Park (no, I don't work for them). Both of the PC versions have excellent AI's for solo play.

Power Grid

Including this one because, although slightly (just slightly) complicated the first time you play, it is perhaps my wifes favorite game. Not quite as much negatively impacting the other players (some, but less than the others), but more a balance between spending everything you have each turn without running out of money. Unlike the other two, which you can play pretty well with two players, PG is better with more players.

Other games you might check out...

Stone Age Scales well with varying numbers of players.

Airships Lots of dice, but less reliant on luck than most.

12 Thieves Lots of getting in the other players way. Fun in my opinion, but my wife doesn't like it so much. Has something to do with my always winning perhaps. ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reef Encounter
Santiago
Tower of Babel
China
Mykerinos
Hare & Tortoise
Hansa
Maharaja: Palace Building in India
Yspahan
Pueblo
High Society
Modern Art
Amun-Re
Magna Grecia
Quo Vadis?
Taj Mahal
Mexica
Medici
San Marco
Hollywood Blockbuster
Torres
Ra
For Sale
Samurai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Frantz
United States
Wenatchee
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I disagree with Mary on the Wings of War and Memoir '44 (not to say your wife won't like them, but they aren't really similar at all in feel to the games you have indicated), but she is DEAD ON with her other suggestions:

Roma, Hansa, Torres, Jambo, and Attika are all about choosing between how much can you help yourself without leaving an opening for your opponent. San Juan and Puerto Rico also might fit in there too. Carcassonne as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dodor
United States
St. Paul
MN
flag msg tools
badge
I'm gonna be the next Canadian Dracula
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rose King

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod McLain
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clans is a game from the same family of fun, short abstracts. We enjoy it a lot as a 2P.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Driver 8 wrote:
...And we both like theme, no matter how thin, so I'm probably not as interested in obvious abstracts.
Oddly, the three games you give (TTD, Samurai, and HTMF!), I'd call them all abstracts with pieces in funny shaps as the only "theme." Given that, I'd say to try Cathedral and Biblios.

Edit: Especially Scripts & Scribes. That's an amazing game, works great with 2 or 3 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola has a big cuteness factor (especially with animeeples), and it's all about blocking the other person while doing what you want to do. Too heavy or too long for what you're looking for? Not sure.

Pillars of the Earth is about taking the good spots and the good cards. Again, too heavy or long? Not sure.

Stone Age is fun, not sure if there's enough conflict/blocking, but it's probably worth trying out if a friend or your FLGS has a copy.

Maybe Kingsburg... a little faster and lighter, and you want to claim a space before your opponents.

Settlers of Catan? Placing the robber might be fun for her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckles2000 wrote:
I disagree with Mary on the Wings of War and Memoir '44 (not to say your wife won't like them, but they aren't really similar at all in feel to the games you have indicated), but she is DEAD ON with her other suggestions:

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that these light war-themed games are in the same category as TtD, Hey! That's My Fish and Samurai; but they are games with conflict. If his girlfriend can handle conflict, she may well be an unacknowledged war gamer.

Wings of War is about outmaneuvering your opponent while keeping the upper hand. And it's oh-so much fun to shoot down your SO.

Memoir requires you to think ahead, using the cards in your hand to the best of your ability for this turn, and a turn or two ahead as well. But, like the games his girlfriend enjoys, sometimes you have to feel for the right time to make your move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sodaklady wrote:
chuckles2000 wrote:

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that these light war-themed games are in the same category as TtD, Hey! That's My Fish and Samurai; but they are games with conflict. If his girlfriend can handle conflict, she may well be an unacknowledged war gamer.

Wings of War is about outmaneuvering your opponent while keeping the upper hand. And it's oh-so much fun to shoot down your SO.

Memoir requires you to think ahead, using the cards in your hand to the best of your ability for this turn, and a turn or two ahead as well. But, like the games his girlfriend enjoys, sometimes you have to feel for the right time to make your move.

Yes, Memoir 44 is on the list of games to play! I have 2 copies of the base game, Eastern Front, Terrain Pack, and the Desert/Winter map. I think I'm ready to unleash it on her. And I think she'll give it a try. I just wish I could find some good balanced scenarios to play (since we may not have time to play the same scenario twice, each playing one side). Perhaps that's another forum question in itself. Please geekmail me with suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP D
United States
Vestal
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Driver 8 wrote:

Then she surprised me. She said she liked the fact that 'you have to keep the other person from doing what they want while doing what you want'. I never realized before that she would like direct conflict. I just assumed she wouldn't like those.

I made the same assumption about my wife, but was surprised to discover that Titan is her favorite game! So I guess Titan is my recommendation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Gao
China
Nanjing
Jiangsu
flag msg tools
mbmb
Babel !!!!

the only game.
only for 2-players
a completely direct-confilct game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Travel Ingenious

Travel Blokus

Great two-player games. No themes. so make 'em up.

Also, Balloon Cup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jambo is great, and I'd also throw out Arkadia. Both can be played by 2 people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hinsdale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Conquest of the Fallen Lands is a tile-claiming game with a type of player interaction that is very similar to Through the Desert (play in chains to cut off opponents) and Samurai (win a tile by surrounding it with sufficient units), and with just slightly more theme. It also has a random modular board with different values on each tile, kind of like Hey That's My Fish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Pick & Pack. A quick two player game where you pick crates of apples (no, really, but it works) and try to get the best crates for yourself while at the same time hindering you opponent from getting a position to get good ones. And there is direct conflict in the form of "take that" tiles (stealing crates frm your opponent etc.). My wife loves that too!

Not a game to take the place of, say Stone Age or some other meatier two player game, but quick and fun it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Pyne
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Theme + Direct Conflict + Quick Playing Time = War for Edaðh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't sure about was do you mean 'fighting conflict' or just frustrating your opponent. If the latter can I recommend:

Jamaica (piratical races around the carribean) around an hour
I'm the boss (a cut throat negotiation came that can get quite chaotic and where you frustrate your opponents to get them out of the deals). 45 minutes per game
and my favourite of favourite games Junta - set in Bananos del Los Republicas the game where the ruling families vie for Presidential office and cabinet positions to get as much foreign aid into their swiss Bank accounts as possible. It does have military combat, as well as negotiation and luck.And it can take 3 -5 hours if you let it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.