Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let all-leader Formations (leaders which move without commanding any Units) enter Duchies for 1/2 CP per Duchy, and let them move five Duchies without suffering Attrition. Also, add +2 to their Interception and Evasion die rolls except when attacked by an enemy leader-only Formation.

Cavalry was expensive, and is not represented directly in this game. Leaders cost two or three times more per strength point than ordinary Units. Cavalry in the nineteenth century also cost two or three times more than comparable infantry strength.

This might induce players to deploy more small formations, to avoid allowing their main force to be surrounded and unable to retreat in battle. Its biggest impact might be that Napy and his other field marshals are enabled to zoom around the map more easily. Napy did zoom about during his wars, e.g., his lightening campaign in Spain and his lightening exit from Russia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Hansey
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A leader piece represents more that just a leader. As far as I know, its just like any other unit 10000-15000 men.

I'm not sure moving a leader on its own is the best idea as it is.

It's difficult to completely surround an army since it can possibly intercpt. Also, its not wise to stack all of your formations onto on space. The attrition cards and scarce supplies really discourage this, as far as I'm concerned anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The suggestion is ignorant of the game system and trying to fix what is no way broken, and the reply sound.

A leader is a full corps; it acts like any other strength point if subordinate to a better leader in the same location.

To avoid being surrounded (hardly likely), just have 2 or more wings support each other by adjacent-reaction movement. As long as you make an intercept roll you are effectively united for battle in either of the two locations. You can also evade with the targeted force if his supports fail to intercept into the original battle location.

Correctly using the ability to shift the location of a marshal and his force during the enemy move is the basis of all sound positioning in TWC.

If you want to galavant Napoleon around the map, all you need to do is (1) burn CPs, (2) burn some more CPs, (3) stay out of Russia, Turkey or Spain and (4) drag along a couple of strength points to absorb the forced march attrition for really long stages.

The reason you won't, however, is you can't afford to burn the CPs or the cards.

This game is not about the difference between infantry and cavalry, or combined arms, or encirclement maneuvering, or galvanting across Europe, or leaders even. It is about *op tempo*, *forks*, and *threats* - more than the enemy can cover with his own limited *op tempo*.

The suggestion is a bit like telling chess masters that rooks should win combats with knights. It just hopelessly misses the point of the game system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did I write that the game is "broken" and needs to be "fixed?" Or, that I expect this change to have big impact on the game?

The way you guys react, you'd think I was proposing to edit the Bible.

This is merely a bit of chrome which players may use or not, as they please. It is perfectly consonant with the rules as they stand. It adds another option for players to consider when spending CPs. Leaders moving alone at 1/2 CP would actually be a modest change. It wouldn't be anything so dramatic as changing the rules of chess. There are some situations where it might be useful. E.g., French forces in Italy might find their retreat cut off by British leaders from Spain which have moved ahead of their British Units, in anticipation of a big Austrian offensive in Italy. Units without leaders might find their retreat cut off.

I'm perfectly aware that a leader represents 12,000 -- 15,000 troops, and that they are generic mixed forces. Maybe it was the idea of "cavalry" which set you guys off, Perhaps "picked troops" would have been a better expression for what I'm driving at here. As you know, it's common during the Napoleonic Wars, or any war, for leaders to create task forces of "picked troops," which are the minority fittest instantly for the march. There are always troops who, for a variety of reasons, are not ready to move as quickly as needed. And yes, leaders and their picked troops did in fact zoom around quite a bit in the real Napoleonic Wars, when one considers that the play of a CP represents a month or more of real time.

This variant might might make other subtle changes which tend to more realism. E.g., it would be less safe to leave Key Duchies completely without garrisons.

Anyway, I'm going to try it out. If you don't want to, fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.