Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Nile» Forums » General

Subject: Refined focus versus shotgun approach – current state of development rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Initially I found some attraction in the underlying concept that cards were played to the table yet needed the additional act of harvesting in order to score. Enough other diversions from this have moved in to diminish my interest.

In ver 1.3 of the rules, some patches to correct earlier issues give me a feeling that, on an overall basis, things are getting too messy. For example, a Specialty Card (card showing more than one resource) is meant to survive two floods before becoming effective. That wasn’t so bad to track when only one flood card was revealed each turn. Now when the rules say, “There is no limit to the number of times a player may add a new flood card on any single turn.” I just imagine that there is too much to monitor for me to keep exploring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Fletcher
United States
Saratoga Springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
I am awaited in Valhalla!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that possibly being able to score multiple times for your specialty cards after every two flood cards drawn makes keeping track of things more dificult. It could become difficult to remember whethor the flood card drawn is the first or second.

I really like Isamoor's suggested alternative to handling the specialty cards:
Quote:
Cut the income way down on the specialty cards, but have them trigger on every player's turn. So have the 2-good specialties produce 1 card every turn. You could reword the draw phase to be:

The active player draws 2 cards. Then all players draw cards for any specialty cards. Do not draw cards for specialty cards played this turn by the active player.

Scoring on every flood flip would make it easier since you either score or lose the specialty card with every new flood card fliped. Of course the value of the specialty cards would need to be reduced or there would just be too many cards being drawn.
Another alternative to simplifying the specialty card mechanic would be to only allow one scoring for each specialty card. So that after two flood cards are flipped and your specialty card did not get eliminated, you draw cards as the reward and then discard the Specialty card.

Just my two cents on the issue. Other than that I feel like this is still a really fun and simple game to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Barradas
Australia
Mackay
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the rules utterly confusing.
They seem to assume that the player already knows some concepts, and doesn't explain them well.

What is the "Nile" card? Same thing as flood?
The first step is the flood. And in the rules it states that that marks what can be harvested. That does not make much sense in the first turn, unless by "harvest" you mean the laying down of cards on the table. More like "sow".

The game mentions several types of stacks, but is not clear on what they mean, and how they should be used.

I've tried to relate the system to Bonhanza, but without much success...

Honestly, the game seems quite promissing, but with the rules as they are, I kind of given up on it. (and I am used to very dense and complex rules, I am an ASL player!)

Can someone post some kind of playing example?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.