Subject: Cards becoming unplayable rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan West
Canada
Montreal (West Island)
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Alright, so as I understand it, certain cards can't be played if the conditions for playing them aren't able to be fulfilled.

ex. Opening the Limbo Gate cannot be played if your opponent has no characters in the discard pile.

Can I create a combo that works around this?

ex. Snow Graves says "Cards cannot be moved out of attached discard pile for any reason". Does this allow me to play Opening the Limbo Gate without giving my opponent the benefit, or does this restrict me from playing the card at all?

Even more, what about the effects of Story cards that affect the discard pile? Am I not allowed to take the effect of a story because my opponent's been locked down? It would seem like Snow Graves (and similar) would be more disadvantageous than helpful if this is true.

Thanks for any clarification anyone can offer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think so. If you read, I think it is the FAQ, not the rules, there is a discussion about "If able to...then" constructions on cards. If there isn't an "if able to...then" construction, (specifically the then part), then effects are considered to be unconnected, and not being able to do the first, doesn't preclude the second from happening. I'd say this is the same thing.

NECRO EDIT: "if...then" is the construction that requires the first for the second to happen. The, "if able" after a condition means that the second bit isn't required to be doable for the first to happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.