Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
My wife, Ayumi, decided that we should start donating plasma. If you go twice a week you can make $60. She pointed out in a month with both of us going that would come out to $480 which is actually a substantial amount. However last week when we went to do the physical portion and they were doing my blood pressure/pulse my pulse was elevated (like 114). I usually always get "doctor's room hypertension." Anyways, they had me go take a seat for a bit and checked it again later. However, I got to thinking about it and started worrying about the result (not health wise, but just worrying that it wouldn't go down while I was there). Sure enough when they tried the second time it went up.

Any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regular exercise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
Regular exercise.
And eating healthy. That works, too.

A pulse of 114 is very high - mine tends to be around 60, so your heart is beating almost twice as fast as mine is. You are either extremely nervous about that test, or else you really should be worried for your own health.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take your own blood, and bring it with you in a bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
Take your own blood, and bring it with you in a bag.
Or save some effort, bring somebody else's blood along in a bag and donate that. Then you can go more than twice a week without feeling weak or anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
My resting pulse isnt usually that high. Just when I get into doctor's offices and such it goes up.

Last time I was at the hospital and the nurses and doctors left the room it went back down into the 70s.

I'm looking for short term calming techniques....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the Litany against Fear
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
stop being a pussy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you hold your breath, your pulse will go up for a while, then go way down.....

I'll have to look into plasma places around here. I have an 18yo that could probably go, too. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Benak
Serbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How much of blood do they take on one session? Isn't twice a week too often, health wise?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:

Not bad... I was going to suggest meditation. Works for me. I can relax and lower my pulse dramatically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Death usually works.

I don't think that's what you're after, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The amazing & fabulous
Australia
Sarina
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Death sounds kind of final....!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd be surprised how relaxing it is to take a few deep breaths with your eyes closed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are either very sedentary or very athletic, I do not recommend this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thee Insidius Doktor Glaze & His Sidekick Donut Boy with the Amazing Monkeytime Dancers Ooh!
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I_have_heard_the_mermaids_singing,_each_to_each. I_do_not_think_that_they_will_sing_to_me... We_have_lingered_in_the_chambers_of_the_sea By_sea_girls_wreathed_with_seaweed_red_and_brown Till_human_voices_wake_us,_and_we_drown
mbmbmbmbmb
The easist way to slow your pulse is to take your breathing off autopilot.

Try to breathe deliberately: take a two-second long, even-paced inhale, hold for a second, then a three-second controlled exhale and another pause. Repeat.

Stare at your hands or feet and stop thinking about anything else but your breathing. Don't let yourself gulp in extra air at the beginning nor end of any breath.

Pulse should drop in a minute or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scivias wrote:
How much of blood do they take on one session? Isn't twice a week too often, health wise?
If you're giving plasma, they don't take your blood permanently. They put it in a centrifuge, separate out the plasma, then put the blood back into you. Your body can regenerate plasma very quickly, so twice a week should be no problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shebby wrote:
Death sounds kind of final....!

Nah... just wait until Easter and you'll be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
Increase your carbon-monoxide intake. After a while you will relax and and your pulse rate will drop dramatically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:

Death usually works.

I don't think that's what you're after, though.

Amy, Amy, Amy! In one fell swoop you took my soaring mood and dashed it to pieces. I saw the topic and couldn't wait to add to it, only to find a quicker, brighter mind had beaten me to the punch.

Sigh.....shakecry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bah Doo
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
stop being a pussy.

I hereby declare you as ChitChat's official Pool of Eternal Wisdom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Liquid Nitrogen should do it. In carefully supervised doses.

A country where you can sell your blood? I had heard of places like that. The Red Cross runs it here. It's all voluntary. They give you a drink and snack, but no money changes hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Rethorn
United States
Perrysburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I did the plasma donation thing for about a year back when I was an undergraduate (as a supplement to my other part-time job). It's good money if you're consistently going twice a week, but I reached a point where I couldn't do it anymore. It was becoming rather difficult to exercise since I often felt weaker during the week, and I was getting nasty scars on the inside of my arms from the needles. I'm in good shape and have good veins, but there were several mishaps on the part of the techs that were no fun to experience, such as when one of them forgot to hook up my blood line to the plasma machine correctly. Instead of pumping my recycled red blood cells back into my arm they started spurting onto the floor. shake

I eventually reached a point where the adverse effects on my health were overwhelming the benefit I received from the extra cash, and I quit.

Oh, I had the doctor's room pulse thing going on a few times as well, even though I'm not scared of needles. Once I was sent home for having a rapid heartbeat, even though it dropped by 50% as soon as I left the building. The next time I walked in, all I could think about was getting sent home for a rapid pulse...and predictably, my pulse was elevated once more. It took a couple of times before I got pissed off at myself and forced myself to slow it down.

Deep, slow breaths work. Listen to your iPod when they're taking your blood pressure to avoid thinking about the cuff on your arm. And don't panic if you think your pulse is increasing; it's really important to get into some kind of trance where you're utterly calm. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
A country where you can sell your blood? I had heard of places like that. The Red Cross runs it here. It's all voluntary. They give you a drink and snack, but no money changes hands.
KSensei is giving plasma, not blood. In the US it is the red cross that handles blood, but plasma is commercial and you get paid to give it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
When it comes to havoc, I reek!
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also sell your sperm.
I hear you can get $60 - $80 per visit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.