Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donna Cook
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
Hey all,

I am in fact, too lazy to go through the archives - forgive me.

We have 3 players in the house and used to crack out on Rummikub, Go, or the occasional game of Talisman. Talisman was my first taste of a non-main stream, non-abstract strategy, non-monopoly type game.

Recently we picked up Pandemic and oh lordy, I've lost a LOT of sleep in the last week. I have a copy of Settlers of Catan coming in on reccomendation.

So, three players, complete RPG nerds, prefer games that wrap up in 2 hours or less, willing to learn just about anything - looking for anything fabulous, brain engaging, and not Rummikub-like.

Thoughts?
(Note: Some names I picked up: Stone Age, Power Grid, Puerto Rico - thoughts? Plusses and minuses to any of them?)

Many thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, too lazy to answer devil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now for my more helpful post . Or at least, I am hoping it's more useful...

I've only played PG with three. It is alot of fun with anything more than 2 in my opinion.

Try China/Web of Power for 3, that's a standard answer...

As light as they sound to alot of gamers, I've really enjoyed Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries & the Switzerland Map if you have other versions, although I like Nordic better.

Most of my 3 player games involve a 10 yr old, so it's hard for me to be a good judge .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you can go wrong with any of Stone Age, Power Grid or Puerto Rico. For three players though I would imagine Power Grid is not quite as good as with 4 or more.

Stone Age is fun, and about the same complexity as Settlers (which is well worth having in my view). Puerto Rico is more complex, but if you are used to reading RPG rulesets then it shouldn't be a big deal.

My wife is not keen on RPGs so I generally steer away from games with fantasy element - others may have better ideas for boardgames that fit, although Kingsburg might be worth checking out (although more of a building game). Also Small World would likely appeal to you, but yet to be released.

Other games that I really like with three:
Ra
Agricola

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Billings and Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Catan would be excellent, especially with Catan: Traders & Barbarians. Traders & Barbarians adds components and scenarios that you can swap in or swap out, mixing things up so that the game stays fresh and fun.

Illuminati: Deluxe Edition is a game that I've throroughly enjoyed with three players, especially with Illuminati: Y2K and Illuminati: Bavarian Fire Drill added to it. Watching the conspiracy theories develop while trying not to let an opponent gain an edge in the game is quite fun!

Munchkin Quest might be fun for your RPG friends, as it utilizes a modular board for a fun dungeon crawl. The humor in the game also adds to the fun, which makes this game a favorite among gamers in my region.

I haven't had the pleasure of playing Stone Age, Power Grid, or Puerto Rico yet; but I've heard wonderful things about them! Power Grid is the one that really jumps out at me and wants me to buy it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Your games mentioned are good ones from what it sounds like your group wants to get into. Also, try Confucius it is very brain engaging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few that I really like with 3:
Ticket to Ride
Notre Dame
Through the Desert (Edit: This may be too abstract for you.]
Nexus Ops

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Give Red November a shot. You seem to like co-op and this provides alot of fun with just three players. Lighthearted, but very satisfying to win.

You could also try Shadows over Camelot which would give you a more fantasy vibe. I'm not sure how well this plays with only 3 though.

If you are feeling a little crazy (insane maybe?) give Arkham Horror a try. Its complex, full of theme and atmosphere and lots of fun. If you can get past the rules (download Mr. Skeltor's flowcharts) a great game is waiting for you to explore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Snyder
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Shouldn't you be playing a game with me instead of wasting time on the Internet?
mbmbmbmbmb
whew, good thing somebody else did that for you
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/32393
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donna Cook
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Frantz
United States
Wenatchee
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
3 is a pretty common number for my group, and here are our faves:

Power Grid
Vikings
Ra
Samurai
Alhambra
Hamburgum
Arkadia
Blue Moon City
Tower of Babel (without the action cards or whatever they are called)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
These work well with 3-players

Tikal - great with 3-players, action point system, good decisions game
Tigris & Euphrates - easyish to learn, very different type of game
Ticket to Ride: Europe - easy to get into, good one to pull out if you don't want a really deep game
Cash-a-Catch - super fun family game, strategic but light

You might also pickup a handful of card games. You can't beat them for the price...

Loot
Mamma Mia!
Coloretto
Light Speed
Battle Line (listed as a 2-player, but the 3-player variant is very good)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Prophecy? It's a lot like Talisman, though with more control in your movement. Under 2 hours would be a fairly fast game at first, but the more you play, the more you'd get into it.

There are a ton of games out there, so it's hard to narrow things down much. If you can just try some games - maybe at a local meetup or something, and find what you like and don't like, we can give even more focused recommendations.

For more co-ops:

Ghost Stories or the aforementioned Arkham Horror or Red November. Lord of the Rings is another good one, although pretty hard at first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
ooh, ooh, i get to be the one who says Citadels?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ra is my favorite game with 3 people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3 Players...

Race for the Galaxy
Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries
Ticket to Ride: The Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew Snyder wrote:
whew, good thing somebody else did that for you
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/32393

Updated (expanded) version of that list:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/38669

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Palmarozzi
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends how interested you are in direct combat. I've played The End of the Triumvirate with a few groups. Unlike most combative 3 player games, the mechanics keep any one player from falling too far behind and it clocks in at 90 minutes. The game is specifically meant for 3 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.