Popular Tags: [View All]
Howard Posner
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I'm yet to have my copy of the game delivered but like many others I'm ploughing through the rules and threads online. They seem well written considering the originality and complexity of the game mechanics involved despite the gripes in the forums. They are just horribly organised. once you find the path through a subsystem it reads clearly, but finding the path is a nightmare.

I do have some questions about action card draws. I'll use a call for fire action given to an FO as my example, but my query applies to many other action draws.

Assume that Bttn fire missions are available and my FO chooses HE and gets 3 card draws for whatever reason.

DRAW 1: a burst icon
DRAW 2: a 3 burst icon
DRAW 3: a short burst icon.

I get what I want out of draw one, but have to keep drawing. Draw two gives me 2 freebie pending fire mission markers on adjacent cards. Obviously I take it. All looking good so far. Draw three makes my primary pending fire mission marker land 1 card closer to me, and I am lumbered with placing 2 more pending fire mission markers adjacent to it (I know 1 of them can be on the original target, but the other may now have to be something ugly).

Is this the correct interpretation?

What if I drew the short burst first? I assume it will still take precedence over a later single burst. What about the 3 burst draw? can I refuse Bttn fire now I know my original shot will be short? The rules seem to imply that Bttn fire is mandatory if available and drawn, which seems a bit tough.

Is this the correct interpretation?

Hopefully all that made some sense,

many thanks,

Howard Posner

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In all situations, the SHORT supersedes other draws. Sorry cry

The same goes for JAM.

Best,
Ricky

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deron Dorna
United States
Westford
MA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Preacher wrote:
In all situations, the SHORT supersedes other draws. Sorry cry

The same goes for JAM.

Best,
Ricky

I'm not sure that is how it should work (the rules, as written, seem unclear on this point). By your interpretation, the better the FO the more likely you are to have your rounds fall short, since you draw more cards and are therefore more likely to get a result with a SHORT on it. That doesn't seem right; I can see it being more likely (or at least just as likely) for a poor FO to have rounds fall short, but not the other way around.

It seems to me that the first burst card, whatever it is, should indicate the nature of the successful mission - so in the OP's example it would be a normal Burst since that was the first Burst card drawn. Drawing more cards should mean you are more likely to actually get a successful mission of any type (that is clearly the intent). That's my opinion, anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Posner
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.
I've reread the rules and bttn fire seems mandatory if drawn, so it would be 2 extra cards worth of arty out from the short burst card.Poor bloody infantry!

Howard Posner

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Deron.

Quote:
I'm not sure that is how it should work (the rules, as written, seem unclear on this point).

I agree that the rules are unclear on this point. However, my answer is straight from the designer.

(me): what happens when a Jam or Short is drawn on an applicable action, along with a 'success?

(Ben Hull): The JAM or SHORT supercedes

This is a big part of the reason why you always draw the full complement of cards when attempting an action.

Best,
Ricky

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deron Dorna
United States
Westford
MA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Preacher wrote:
Hi, Deron.

Quote:
I'm not sure that is how it should work (the rules, as written, seem unclear on this point).

I agree that the rules are unclear on this point. However, my answer is straight from the designer.

(me): what happens when a Jam or Short is drawn on an applicable action, along with a 'success?

(Ben Hull): The JAM or SHORT supercedes

This is a big part of the reason why you always draw the full complement of cards when attempting an action.

Best,
Ricky

Altrighty, then. Ben's answer is clear enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.