Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
60 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: What is the status of MMP reprints of ASL core modules for the British, Japanese, Marines, Italians, etc? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: asl [+] [View All]
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having recently been bitten by the ASL bug, I'm feverishly hunting down as much ASL stuff as I can find. What I can't understand is the lack of information on when MMP will be reprinting such core modules as:

For King and Country: ASL module 5a
West of Alamein: ASL Module 5
Gung Ho!: ASL Module 9
Code of Bushido: ASL Module 8

They aren't even up for preorder, which I really can't understand.

I don't mean (or want) this to become a thread to bash on MMP - they are one of my favorite publishers. But I'm seriously wondering if there is any relatively solid information on when these games may get republished - or do they all fall in the realm of Up Front and, as such, it's anyone's guess?

By the way, any information copied from consimworld would be appreciated, for some reason our firewall thinks its an email program and blocks me from going there.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What is the status of MMP reprints of ASL core modules for Brits, Japs, Marines, Italians, etc?
The easiest way to find out is to go here...

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?13@373.eTzueMEFTEK.2@.ee6d5...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What is the status of MMP reprints of ASL core modules for Brits, Japs, Marines, Italians, etc?
Hungadunga wrote:
The easiest way to find out is to go here...

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?13@373.eTzueMEFTEK.2@.ee6d5...

Can't...blocked. Guess I can try from home. Can anyone summarize?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason they aren't up for preorder is because MMP got burnt by the length of the process of creating the modules. Now MMP only puts an ASL module up for preorder when it's almost ready to print.

From Brian Youse (Jan 8):
Quote:
It is with great, well, shock, that we have to announce that Yanks, the American expansion for ASL, is out of print. Ten years and 8 days after we signed our contract with Hasbro.

I, personally, never thought we'd sell out of Yanks. I am still shocked.

As reprints are at a relatively critical stage for ASL, again and as usual, we thought we'd outline our plan for what's up with ASL reprints.

Doomed Battalions reprint goes to press the week/10 days or so after Winter Offensive (ie., about the last week of January).

Beyond Valor (critically low on copies) and For King and Country are slated to be reprinted following DB,these have been done in the past and should just require a few phone calls to start printing. Oh, and about 90k. In anticipation of this happening we will be putting FKAC on preorder after DB comes off, this will give everyone a chance to snag a 25% discount and get us a little cash to help with paying the printers for that rather large bill.

We have people laying out the Pacific, which will be in one module, but without most of the art resources available this is obviously take some time. Now Yanks is added to the mix, same problem - we (MMP) have never -had- Yanks in even plate form, so its starting over from scratch on that module as well"

The reprint of Doomed Battalions has been delayed per this post from Brian: (13 Feb)
Quote:
DB3

Folks, today I was reminded that we said DB3 was going to press shortly after Winter Offensive.

Unfortunately, we are behind where I thought we'd be by now, we are still building/shipping TTT.

Once we're about half way into this 4 game run we are on (Bastogne, PB2, AMDT, and GD'42) the bits for DB3 should go to press. My guess is that is a few weeks away, at least, maybe a few more weeks than that...

Barring unforseen issues of course.

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From Brian Youse 1/8/09 on CSW, by way of GameSquad:

Quote:
Beyond Valor (critically low on copies) and For King and Country are slated to be reprinted following DB,these have been done in the past and should just require a few phone calls to start printing. Oh, and about 90k. In anticipation of this happening we will be putting FKAC on preorder after DB comes off, this will give everyone a chance to snag a 25% discount and get us a little cash to help with paying the printers for that rather large bill.

I don't know when exactly DB will be out, but it should be soon.

West of Alamein will not be reprinted as the British part is taken over by For King and Country. Hollow Legions recently sold out, and the next reprint will include Chapter F and the first 5 desert boards as well as everything it currently contains. No idea if the title will remain the same. This means re-doing Chapter F for 2nd Ed, and overlays, and probably the WoA scenario cards. This will be a while....

Gung Ho/Code of Bushido will be combined into one module. This has been in the pipeline for a while, so it presumably will be the next big module release from MMP other than straight reprints. I could see it coming out this year, but don't hold your breath.

Also, keep in mind that due to multiple internets dwama over the length of time it takes the ASL team to get something out, nothing ASL goes on preorder now until it is basically ready to go to print.

See a blog post of mine for all the details I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys - thanks! I guess it makes sense about the artwork having to be redone. Glad to hear about FKaC though, doesn't sound like too much longer to wait.

Why doesn't MMP cross post that stuff over here? I have to believe that BGG has brought a decent number of ASLers into the fold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cleitus the Black wrote:

Supposed to return this year, probably relatively soon. It's not really clear to me why this hasn't been reprinted yet, as all the art (minus the new-style maps) was MMP-produced in the first place. I don't know if it's a matter of warehouse space, printer time, or what.

Quote:

Never going to be reprinted as such, but the Desert components will reappear in the next version of Hollow Legions: ASL Module 7. It's anybody's guess as to when that will happen. Supposedly someone is working on it, but I suspect there are much higher ASL priorities (Japanese, Americans, British) that will push this off for at least a couple of years.

Quote:

Both will be combined in a new Pacific module, also being worked on. It was originally quoted as being scheduled for this year, but that sounds very optimistic to me. 2010 is more likely. I do believe, however, that MMP is devoting some genuine effort to getting this ready.

Quote:

Recent MMP policy is that ASL items are only put up for preorder when they're ready to go to the printers. They're trying to avoid a repeat of what happened with Valor of the Guards, which looked pretty bad on the P500 list at 2500 orders (750 required) for over 2 years.

Quote:
I don't mean (or want) this to become a thread to bash on MMP - they are one of my favorite publishers. But I'm seriously wondering if there is any relatively solid information on when these games may get republished - or do they all fall in the realm of Up Front and, as such, it's anyone's guess?

The above is as solid as any ASL production information gets, all culled from CSW posts. It's a better situation than Up Front, but not by much. MMP can be a very frustrating company to deal with in this regard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cleitus the Black wrote:
Guys - thanks! I guess it makes sense about the artwork having to be redone. Glad to hear about FKaC though, doesn't sound like too much longer to wait.

Yeah, keep in mind that from all the statements I've heard MMP possibly got the original art/stats, but certainly not the plates. And these days it would all have to be re-done into electronic format anyway.

Cleitus the Black wrote:
Why doesn't MMP cross post that stuff over here? I have to believe that BGG has brought a decent number of ASLers into the fold.

They seem chronically overworked. cry We usually have to get word on GameSquad (which really has a good ASL forum) from people who watch CSW. Thankfully, they have a couple people involved in the company who've made it their job to do that. Keep an eye on:
http://forums.gamesquad.com/forumdisplay.php?f=316

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kozlowski
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
I, uh, guess I had a lot of geekgold?
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude... "Japs"? Really?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quijanoth
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mkozlows wrote:
Dude... "Japs"? Really?

In what alternate universe do people still get offended by the shortening of a country's name to indicate that country's people?

Ruskies, Brits, Aussies, etc. etc.

Did we learn nothing from Bruce and Carlin?

Edit: Oooh, hey, I thought of another one: Poles. Or is it Pols? Hopefully my point is taken.

2nd Edit: In the interest of staying relevant to the OP, is there any word on the date of release for the ASL Starter #1 that any one has heard of? Of course I didn't get interested in ASL until it was a pain to get ahold of...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yanks? Seriously? Who thinks this shit up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quijanoth wrote:
2nd Edit: In the interest of staying relevant to the OP, is there any word on the date of release for the ASL Starter #1 that any one has heard of?

I just asked on CSW a couple days ago, but there hasn't been any answer from MMP. There have, however, been roughly 100 "funny" posts about cocks, pot, and the Civil War. Now they're talking about insurance. Really, it's a wonder that more people don't use CSW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mkozlows wrote:
Dude... "Japs"? Really?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Runyan
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quijanoth wrote:
mkozlows wrote:
Dude... "Japs"? Really?

In what alternate universe do people still get offended by the shortening of a country's name to indicate that country's people?

Uh, that "alternate universe" would be Japan.

I take your larger point(s), and largely agree, but "Japs" was an unfortunate choice of spelling. Your inability to imagine anyone being offended by it is the fault of your imagination (or lack of personal experience), not the other person.

For the record, JPN or JP is the politically correct written abbreviation. As in, for example, "JP"WRUNYAN not "JAP"WRUNYAN.

As far as spoken abbreviation goes, well, I guess I don't see the need in conversation to shorten an already two-syllable country name to one syllable if it conjures, for some people at least, ugly stereotypes from a past war. Same thing for "Poland" and "Polish".

Obviously, you are right, though, that only a person of bad faith would have assumed the OP had intentionally meant any disrespect. And the initial critical post, even if made in good faith, was needlessly condescending.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
Last time I checked "Japanese" was a 3 syllable word.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Runyan
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TGov wrote:
Last time I checked "Japanese" was a 3 syllable word.

Hmm. Indeed.
And I can see where this is going.

So I will just refer you to wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jap

It's a free country. Do what you like. But whatever choice you make, just make it an informed one.

Don't bother replying, I have said all that needed to be said on this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Ing
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Japanese" is a 3 syllable word and it is for a nationality. The gentleman in the previous post was refering to the country and "Japan" is a 2 syllable word.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kozlowski
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
I, uh, guess I had a lot of geekgold?
mbmbmbmbmb
jpwrunyan wrote:
Obviously, you are right, though, that only a person of bad faith would have assumed the OP had intentionally meant any disrespect. And the initial critical post, even if made in good faith, was needlessly condescending.

I'm sure he didn't, and that was more a verbal wince than anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quijanoth
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jpwrunyan wrote:
Quijanoth wrote:
mkozlows wrote:
Dude... "Japs"? Really?

Uh, that "alternate universe" would be Japan.

I take your larger point(s), and largely agree, but "Japs" was an unfortunate choice of spelling. Your inability to imagine anyone being offended by it is the fault of your imagination (or lack of personal experience), not the other person.

For the record, JPN or JP is the politically correct written abbreviation. As in, for example, "JP"WRUNYAN not "JAP"WRUNYAN.

Oh, I don't think I lack imagination, really. Here's a short story:

Once, there was a world that was full of different sorts of people. These people were amazingly resilient; capable of living through bad weather, gunshots, nuclear weapons, and Republicans. However, the people were mysteriously weak against the magical abbreviation of the country they lived in. It would make them crumble into little balls of indignant weepatude. So, rather than focus on important stuff like all the similarities that these people shared, they'd get all tense and whine at each other when the magic words were used. Oh, and in this world, somebody really clever figured out how to make soft tacos, and those were pretty good. I think a Mex invented them. The End.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In hopes of heading off any further debate on my apparently unfortunate abbreviation, I have revised the title of the post.

blush

Let's talk about ASL some more.

edit - after trying three times to get a simple two sentence post correct, I should have just chalked it up to a spelling error.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cleitus the Black wrote:
In hopes of heading off any further debate I have revised the title of the post.

blush

Let's talk about ASL some more.

ASL is a better topic. I should have known the levity button wouldn't work.

I have an ASL related question:

Any HASL on the future? Reprint of Red Barricades?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew I am blaming you for my recent desire to pick up the ASL rulebook just to read! I will send you my bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BeatPosse wrote:

Good question - I just ordered Valor of the Guards today - I wonder if they will still reprint RB? (I know they cover different parts of the city, so maybe?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another good question is: Why the hell do you live on the wrong coast? If you lived on this coast (close to the Mason-Dixon) we could play your copy of VotG!

Cleitus the Black wrote:
BeatPosse wrote:

Good question - I just ordered Valor of the Guards today - I wonder if they will still reprint RB? (I know they cover different parts of the city, so maybe?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
Cleitus the Black wrote:
Having recently been bitten by the ASL bug, I'm feverishly hunting down as much ASL stuff as I can find.

I don't mean (or want) this to become a thread to bash on MMP - they are one of my favorite publishers. But I'm seriously wondering if there is any relatively solid information on when these games may get republished
Thanks!

Hi Andrew,

glad to see that this desease has not only spread on my side of the pond

It all started with the ASL SK and now we are also on our way to full ASL.

I'm in a bit better position than you are - having nearly everything of the "basic" modules except the "Pacific"-modules and the AP 2 and wait for a reprint. Oh, and the missing maps. So after Doomed is out I hope to have the missing overlays too (sans the ones included in AP2, which should also be reprinted !!!!!).

It is in fact a funny thing to see a company releasing the AP 3 (A Few Returned) and give us the so much looked after maps of the OOP AP 1 but in the same instant have the Italian units that you need for the AP 3 go OOP

I sometimes wonder how much money they could make if they had the stuff available - given the success of the Starter Kits.

But I also agree with you - no bashing here. The quality of the games is really top and what they have done with the BV reprint (speaking about 3rd ed) is really great. So I have high hopes for the Pacific reprint.

Recently "TTT" came out and it is also a great collection of older reworked scenarios (from SL times) and I was positively surprised that they included in the envelope the reprint of mapboard 42 (or was it 43) which had a printing error.

I still lack some maps and hope the map-reprint comes at their warehouse so that I can order those that I'm missing.

Oh, nearly forgot - there was some talk about another "Stalingrad" - module but I think the decision about waiting until it is ready for printing (because of VotG and the timefram as said by some other poster) is a wise decision.

Think positive: The good thing is that if something ASL goes on pre-order it reaches the needed number fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.