John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question for the scientists. Are a pair of clones any different from a pair of identical twins?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a scientist but my thought is this.

Twins = different DNA
Clones = Same DNA

You're welcome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I thought that identical twins had identical DNA, but Wikipedia pointed me here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23276953/

Quote:
Still, researchers have largely assumed that identical twins are genetically identical, reasoning that any variations between them were due to solely environmental factors. For instance, the fingerprints of identical twins diverge because they each experience slightly different conditions in their shared time in the womb.

Now scientists find that when it comes to the genetics of identical twins, unexpectedly "there in fact are tiny differences and that they are relatively common," said researcher Jan Dumanski, a molecular geneticist at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

In the new study, researchers analyzed 19 pairs of identical twins. Although they did possess nearly identical genomes, closer study revealed they often differed in the number of copies of individual gene segments. For instance, one twin might be missing a segment, or possess more copies of that segment than the other twin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
Not a scientist but my thought is this.

Twins = different DNA
Clones = Same DNA

You're welcome

Thanks, but I was looking for the right answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
I thought that identical twins had identical DNA, but Wikipedia pointed me here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23276953/

Thanks, that was interesting. But wouldn't these same variations pop up in a clone?

I'm not talking about sci-fi clones made in a vat or something. I was under the impression they make clones by basically an artifical duplication of the same process that causes identical twins. Maybe that's way off though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm not really into genetics, but I'd say that the only difference is that identical twins have developed at the same time, while clones don't. Minor differences due to imperfections in DNA replications are going to be pretty similar in both cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
CapAp wrote:
I have a question for the scientists. Are a pair of clones any different from a pair of identical twins?

No. Unless you want to be precise, then yes.

The main difference is going to be in mitochondrial DNA, which will match the egg donor NOT the cloned animal. In identical twins the mitochondrial DNA will be the same between the twins, because both twins get it from their mothers egg cell.

There will be slight (emphasis on slight) differences in nuclear DNA between the clone and the cloned animal, but this is true in identical twins too. Basically, when cells divide mutations can happen. Once the twin's cells split off each one will develop its own set of mutations.

Same thing for a clone, except that the original cell taken from the donor animal will have accumulated a certain amount of mutations that are slightly different from all the other cells in its body. Therefore, it's impossible to create a "perfect" clone of an animal because even the DNA in an animal's own cells aren't perfect copies of each other.

So, the twin's DNA won't match each other exactly, and neither will the clone's DNA match the donor exactly. But these are very small difference. Probably for all intents and purposes you could say their nuclear DNA is the same.

The mitochondrial DNA difference will be important if you're trying to trace ancestry, but it won't be important to the functioning of the clone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a twin.

But I killed him.

I killed him because, when we met, I knew that one day, if not that day, he would try to kill me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:

Pretty much sums up every answer to every RSP question for the past two years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
CapAp wrote:
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:

Thanks, that was interesting. But wouldn't these same variations pop up in a clone?

I'm not talking about sci-fi clones made in a vat or something. I was under the impression they make clones by basically an artifical duplication of the same process that causes identical twins. Maybe that's way off though.

From a very strict perspective, it's quite likely that there's DNA differences between some of your own cells: Mutation can happen on any cell duplication. It's through an accumulation of some of those mutations that we get wonderful things like cancer: A cell mutates in such way that it reproduces endlessly and refuses to die off. Without mutation in adult cells, either by normal errors caused by extensive replication or means that increase the rate of mutation, cancer would not exist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:
CapAp wrote:

The main difference is going to be in mitochondrial DNA, which will match the egg donor NOT the cloned animal. In identical twins the mitochondrial DNA will be the same between the twins, because both twins get it from their mothers egg cell..

That's what happens with our current cloning technique: Take someone else's egg, and insert new DNA in the nucleus. Other techniques could keep a host's mitochondrial DNA, and still be called cloning. For example, if we found a way to mess with the specialization of stem cells to recreate a fetus, we'd still call it cloning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.