United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
Why don't you believe me?
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mb
There probably is no real good reason for it.

I personally don't think they should be. They are substantially similar to a CCG expansion, which don't justify their own separate pages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there should be seperate entries. It would help me keep track of which expansion I have purchased when I am away from home. Most expansions (even Runebound (Second Edition) with it's many many expansions) have their own page. Why not these?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
badweasel wrote:

I personally don't think they should be. They are substantially similar to a CCG expansion, which don't justify their own separate pages.

Untrue. CCG expansions are random. You could get the same cards or very different cards with each expansion purchase. The LCG expansions have a set card list. The game entry can discuss that card list in detail. Unlike a CCG game entry which can only guess what cards you have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bailey
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mb
turtleback wrote:
badweasel wrote:

Untrue. CCG expansions are random. You could get the same cards or very different cards with each expansion purchase. The LCG expansions have a set card list. The game entry can discuss that card list in detail. Unlike a CCG game entry which can only guess what cards you have.

Except we know exactly what is in each CCG expansion, just not the individual pack. Why not discuss the complete set of cards for an expansion set of a CCG/TCG? A set of Shadowmoor cards for Magic has way more differences with the core set than the Asylum packs have with the CoC Core Set.

At the very least, they should be combined into bulk groupings (ie. put the six Summons of the Deep sets as one entry).

I also think the in detail card discussion can occur easily with in the single game setting. You can also store the list of expansions you have within the game comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
badweasel wrote:
turtleback wrote:
badweasel wrote:

Except we know exactly what is in each CCG expansion, just not the individual pack. Why not discuss the complete set of cards for an expansion set of a CCG/TCG? A set of Shadowmoor cards for Magic has way more differences with the core set than the Asylum packs have with the CoC Core Set.

I guess that is my point. You do not know what is in a CCG package. The expansions for an LCG are more cut and dried and deserve their own page. My point about knowing what you own via your collection is valid. At the most you will only buy 3 copies of an LCG rather than dozens. I already can't remember with out looking at my games which expansions I have bought of Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game (I only bought one of each, but am missing the latest). When you buy dozens of packs of CCGs looking for that one rare card you tend to remember what you have bought.

Why not have a separate page for each LCG expansion. If it is good enough for A Game of Thrones: The Card Game I think Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game deserves the same treatment.

Finally, in a perfect world each game entry would have an area to click for each expansion owned and a way to denote how many of each you own. That would solve this dilemma for me.

Also, when you log your plays it would be nice to note which expansions you used during your session and if in a card drafting game which cards were in your deck (pretty anal retentive, but it has some merit).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bailey
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mb
turtleback wrote:

Why not have a separate page for each LCG expansion. If it is good enough for A Game of Thrones: The Card Game I think Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game deserves the same treatment.

If it works for AGoT, I also agree it should be for CoC. I just think it would be cleaner without it.

Quote:

Finally, in a perfect world each game entry would have an area to click for each expansion owned and a way to denote how many of each you own. That would solve this dilemma for me.

Also, when you log your plays it would be nice to note which expansions you used during your session and if in a card drafting game which cards were in your deck (pretty anal retentive, but it has some merit).

Brilliant! I absolutely think the same thing. I really, really want this feature. If we stored expansions as a subset of the main game, I would be soooo happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
badweasel wrote:
Why not discuss the complete set of cards for an expansion set of a CCG/TCG? A set of Shadowmoor cards for Magic has way more differences with the core set than the Asylum packs have with the CoC Core Set.

To be honest, I don't tend to track expansions, even for board games where they are in the database. But if I did, I would want to track CCG expansions this way: by block. In the case of CoC, that would be 6 asylum packs, I suppose.

turtleback wrote:
I guess that is my point. You do not know what is in a CCG package. The expansions for an LCG are more cut and dried and deserve their own page. My point about knowing what you own via your collection is valid. At the most you will only buy 3 copies of an LCG rather than dozens. I already can't remember with out looking at my games which expansions I have bought of Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game (I only bought one of each, but am missing the latest). When you buy dozens of packs of CCGs looking for that one rare card you tend to remember what you have bought.

I think most gaming groups have a different mindset than you on the subject, though. CCG players I know don't seem to track how many boosters they bought, they track how many of specific cards they have. And I think stable LCG groups are as likely to trade cards between players as keep each set intact. After all, if you tend to play from only a few factions, why not trade those rares you never use for duplicates of the ones you do? Not to mention giving away those duplicate commons.

I'm just not sure BGG is going to be a great tool for tracking a card collection, whether C- or L-CG. YMMV.

turtleback wrote:

This is another feature I wouldn't use (like tracking plays and logging expansions), but I can see where the larger community might get into it. As a stopgap, could you not get some of the same functionality out of the private info and comment sections?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Erickson
United States
Winona
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe a stupid question, but has anyone tried to submit the asylum packs as entries?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have made no such submissions. I was just posing the question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.