flag msg tools
mbmbmb
18.6.1.6 Syrian Politics: Due to French-British rivalry and opposition
from Arabs, there is a +1 VP and +1 Jihad Point penalty
the first time a Beachhead Marker is placed adjacent to Syria. Any
subsequent invasion of Syria does not carry this penalty. Note that
this does not apply to an invasion from Cyprus to Adana (which is
not in Syria).

The note make me thinking. What if Syria naval invasion done only by French troops? The rule wording still gives it +1 VP and +1 Jihad Point penalty. But for ver2 of the rules, it can be said that if only French troops use the Syrian Beachhead there is no penalty. What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. There is also the opposition from the Arabs, reflected in the Jihad penalty. I think that would have to be kept. Having just French troops could plausibly negate the VP penalty I suppose.

But then you run into other problems- is any subsequent use of the beach-head by non-French allied troops to trigger the VP penalty? What about British troops appearing in ports taken by the French from the beach-head.

Launching an Invasion of Syria can be very powerful: in one of my current games it has led to the capture of most of Syria by the end of 1915. The penalty balances things out a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmet Ilpars
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hm. I always felt that Adana is much better place to invade. After successful landing and capturing Alexandretta and Aleppo you can severe the ties between Turkish homeland and Syria. And you can trap much more troops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to turn this into a strategy discussion, but I have found an Adana invasion easier to contain, not least because Anatolia is not a Restricted area. I agree it is a better target most of the time with the current rules, because of the penalties on invading Syria. Without the penalties its less clear.

Anyway, lifting the penalty if the invasion is only French troops would be an extra bit of chrome. I'm not sure it is needed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.