• [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw it last night at the Watchmen premiere. Looks good! My FLGS announced they're gonna take over the theatre again for Star Trek. I AM SO IN FOR THAT!!! I survived and I want more!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
ya gotta bunny/duck it in your head
badge
"I looked at my hands, I understood that one fine day, one fine evening to be precise, they would no longer be hands but some other awful thing." —Jack Kerouac
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars Trek looks SUPER EXCITING!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Foster
United States
Eagle Bend
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:
Saw it last night at the Watchmen premiere. Looks good! My FLGS announced they're gonna take over the theatre again for Star Trek. I AM SO IN FOR THAT!!! I survived and I want more!!

First how was Watchmen? Second, I will most definitely see Trek if they do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
geberus wrote:
pdclose wrote:
Saw it last night at the Watchmen premiere. ...

First how was Watchmen? Second, I will most definitely see Trek if they do that.

First the Trek news: not only are they going to definitely do that, the local Trek society is trying to see if they can turn the theatre into the Bridge! cool

Watchmen: The movie was good, not great. Very faithful to the graphic novel, perhaps too much so. If you haven't read Watchmen there was enough in there that you'd still understand and "get" it, much, much more so if you're old enough to remember the Cold War. They did a great job of bringing back that whole "we're gonna die from nuclear fallout" constant dread.

The negatives: a bit too long, dragged at points, too much narration, with violence bordering on Monty Python levels (too surreal, too over-the-top), and way, way too many naked male butt shots! Not to mention the greatly improved "asset" of the naked blue man...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
(hung like a horse and moved like one too).

I thought they could've lost more of the narration style too. Seems the director didn't go to the "show, don't tell" school of filming unless it comes to violence or naked guys.

The positives: gorgeously filmed, very well choreographed, most of the actors worked well in their roles, the beginning and ending (new parts) worked well. It was like watching a live-action version of the graphic novel. I liked it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Wow, that actually looks really good! I'm not a Star Trek fan, although I did watch it a lot as a small child. I think I'm going to have to see this one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hopefully becoming a restaurant owner soon! Peter Melanson
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
May is not getting here fast enough....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
I'm good friends with the guy who designed costumes for the antagonists in the new Trek movie. Who wants to touch me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
I'm good friends with the guy who designed costumes for the antagonists in the new Trek movie. Who wants to touch me?

Pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It wasn't a rock
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
ConnCon 2018 March 23, 24, 25 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmb
Wow. Okay! I had been pretty dismissive of this project until I clicked on the link.

So my question is; is this a "prequel" or a reboot of the franchise?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Csigs wrote:
Wow. Okay! I had been pretty dismissive of this project until I clicked on the link.

So my question is; is this a "prequel" or a reboot of the franchise?
I have read it is like Batman Begins....it is a prequel, but they aren't sticking to "trek cannon" and are making it a new unique story with a Trek theme.....I am looking forward to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Is Not Geddy Lee
United States
Sandy Hook
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was also very unimpressed with the idea of this. I mean, what can you possibly do to these characters? They have been explored in great depth over the years. Then one of my high school students came in all excited about it. He had never seen any of the shows or movies. We talked about my negative feelings towards it and he responded, "This is a great way to get a new generation of fans though. Nobody my age knows who these characters are and now is our chance."

That completely changed my mind and I am now looking forward to seeing it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:

There is not a pole long enough...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
for me, it will be hard to watch as I will continuously expect Spock to slice Kirk's skull cap off and steal his powers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.